TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Which mission was the best?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up in the Bonehoard by Chopsticks

16 64.00%
  • Kidnap.. by Artelius

2 8.00%
  • The New Sheriff by El Tafferino

7 28.00%

Thread: Strange Ventures Voting Thread

Strange Ventures Voting Thread

After quite a bit of deliberation, I have decided that Up in the Bonehoard is the default winner of this contest, being the only mission that got released before the deadline. However, I am curious to know what the community thought about the rest of the missions, so I made this poll to figure it out.

The contestants can now reveal their "true" nicknames if they so choose. The poll will remain open indefinitely, as it's not about deciding a winner as much as it's about gauging how well people liked them in comparison.
    Last edited by Dev_Anj; 1st Mar 2017 at 02:49. Reason: Fixed wrong word use pointed by Purgator.

I voted for Up in the Bonehoard because it's the most complete of the released missions. The Alarus Extension was great fun to go through and a challenge to explore without becoming too confusing. Once you get the bow upgrade, the fun REALLY starts though! Shooting rope arrows almost everywhere? Yes please!
    The main Bonehoard is also the point at which it gets a little frustrating though and it shows there was little testing done for the mission, if any at all. There are many places that are hard to climb up and you occasionally get stuck in the terrain. Also, navigation is so utterly taffed up you will likely get lost and have a hard time finding some important places.
    Overall, though, it is a mission with cool ideas and does some excellent things with the contest's concept. Including the Alarus Extension and the bow upgrade, two old TTLG memes, is the icing on the cake here.

Kidnap is a solid mission but I'd personally rate it only third place because it doesn't go all the way with the concept. Sure, it takes an OM and replaces every enemy with something weird and unexpected, but the weirdest moment is definitely when you find out who this "Cadavor" really is! Other than that, there's not much changed about the OM and it doesn't quite reach the strangeness of the other two entries.

And before I say anything about The New Sheriff, let me just reveal what some people over in the RPGCodex thread already guessed: I'm the one behind "El Tafferino".
    And, well, as I'm the author I see a lot of issues and wasted potential that others don't. I blocked off a lot of the level and kept some of the accessible rooms too vanilla. I could've made it larger and also gone further with the weirdness, but in the end it was just a half-assed release I made on the contest coordinator's request so the contest could have more than just one entry (I started building before Kidnap was released). I definitely could've put more effort into it.
    That said, I tried to stick to the theme and put in as many weird things as I could think of, so if you wonder why there's a spinning fish as a loot item, it's just because I cranked the craziness up to 11! Overall, I think it's a solid mission and uses the contest's theme very well and has a lot of surprises for the player, but it doesn't quite reach Up in the Bonehoard due to its smaller scope. But hey, maybe I'll use these new custom enemies again in some other FM!

Good lord! I cry 'Shenanigans'!
    Getting a 'chum' to hobble together an FM for the sole purpose of bolstering competition entries is downright execrable. Most execrable indeed.
    This sort of rotten behaviour may well be acceptable on 'other' fora, but not here.
    Off to Cragscleft with you both!
    Having said that, all entries were most enjoyable. Well done all.
    That should be 'by default' btw, not 'de facto'.

Spot on, Chris.

For the sake of clarity, and Purgator, I should point out that there was a bit of a consensus (in the El Tafferino thread, I think) that Up in the Bonehoard should win and moderators agreed.

I hope Chopsticks will reveal him/herself so I can award the Strange Ventures Contest Winner 2017 custom title - if it's wanted.

i voted good luck to all entrants

I was aware of the El Tafferino thread.
    I have stated before, humour isn't my strong point. I did use the word 'Shenanigans' and posted a cheeky emoticon.
    Perhaps next time I'll wear a funny hat.

Spot on, Chris.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    For what it's worth, I knew you were joking.

So did I and so was I. I'm not entirely sure I've ever taken you seriously yet, Purgator.

(Must make more use of smileys)

EDIT: Removed excessive smiley icons. Still smiling on the inside though.
    Last edited by Purgator; 2nd Mar 2017 at 07:35.

Spot on, Chris.

Remind me to ask Al_B if excessive smiley use is a banning offence and if not, why not.

Didn't there used to be a limit of like 8 smilies per post?

It was a limit of 8 pictures per post, including smilies. I don't know if it's still in effect.

It still says 8 in the rules. I've repeatedly complained to Al_B that it actually allows more than that and therefore it should either only allow 8 as per the rules, or amend the number in the rules. But he just ignores me.

It's clearly not in effect, based on Purg's original post (before editing).

Probably should have left them, to be fair. Context, and all that.
    Twelve was the limit, or so I was instructed by TTLG. Originally I wanted to spell out "I wuv you, nickie" in smileys, but was shackled by punitive regulation mularkey.
    Free the emoticons!

Spot on, Chris.

Absolutely should have left them. I'm disappointed at Purg purging emoticons.

I think a bit more voting activity is needed. Surely more than 20 people played these?

They might be intimidated by the smileys

Quote Originally Posted by JarlFrank View Post
    I voted for Up in the Bonehoard because it's the most complete of the released missions. [...] Including the Alarus Extension and the bow upgrade, two old TTLG memes, is the icing on the cake here.

And, well, as I'm the author I see a lot of issues and wasted potential that others don't. I blocked off a lot of the level and kept some of the accessible rooms too vanilla. I could've made it larger and also gone further with the weirdness.[...]
    That said, I tried to stick to the theme and put in as many weird things as I could think of, so if you wonder why there's a spinning fish as a loot item, it's just because I cranked the craziness up to 11!
    Hmmm...

I voted for "Up in the bonehoard, but as you said - your entry was a solid mission and yes, it pleased me.
    In my opinion, the OM "Down on the Bonehoard" is a great example of a vertical maze in which you can easily get lost. Turning it upside down was a clever move and empowered the benefits of this mission. In the screenshots, there never was "too much weirdness", just all the junk and the water was "fallen down". Plus the custom made Alarus extension matched up with the architectural style of the tombs.
    I have to admit, that I only saw the screenshots, but never played this mission since now.

Adding too much weirdness could be an "overkill" and could quickly turn a mission in pure ridiculousness. Chaos needs to be used moderate.