TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breath of the Wild

Definitely be getting a Switch, but not until much later in the year, got a whole backlog of virtual console games on the wii u I wanna get through.
    also Henke that is NOT classed as a proper zelda game, although it is pretty lolworthy.

Southquarter.com/fms
    For what it's worth, perfect review scores from IGN, Gamespot, and Polygon.

God dammit

Why can't this game just suck so I don't feel tempted to buy an entire console for one exclusive?

Will be picking this up today yay! Will post my thoughts on the wii u version once have played it for a bit
    Last edited by PigLick; 2nd Mar 2017 at 18:01.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Err...OK then. Anyway, more perfect scores from Games Radar, Game Informer, and Giant Bomb.

The reports of frame rate drops is a little bit concerning, but can put up with it if the game is as good as the reviews say.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Thing is, every review I've seen is specifically for Switch. So I'm hoping performance won't be too awful on my Wii U.

Moderator and Priest
    From what I've read (which isn't much), most of the problems on the Switch arise while the machine is docked and running at a higher resolution, and even then it's only sporadic.

It might be occasionally annoying, but I don't think it's a game breaker.

Yeh the switch runs it at 900p on tv, while the wii u is at 720p so hoping the perfomance will be comparable, anyway off to pick up my copy, unfortunately have to work today so wont be able to check it out until tonight.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Watched some vids of this tonight - it looks like there's a decent stealth element to the game. There were multiple instances of Link sneaking into enemy camps, creeping up behind baddies and backstabbing, and just avoiding AI in general.

I said I wasn't going to watch much of the game ahead of time, but I couldn't help myself once I started. The open world looks amazing. It doesn't even seem that something like this should be possible on the Wii U, but there it is. You can literally go anywhere right from the start. And almost every review said even though the world is huge, it's filled to the brim with NPCs, creatures, resources, towns, shrines, and environmental challenges, with very few big empty spaces. Can't wait to get my copy tomorrow and dive into this over the weekend.

Ok, I couldnt resist so I installed the game before I head off to work, played about half an hour and so far its amazing, almost feel like calling in sick so I can keep playing. Havent noticed much issue with frame rate so far, runs pretty smooth. So many things to do, the climbing is awesome, ambient sounds with no overworld music really works and feels more immersive. Another thing is there is no exposition, you are just thrown into the world and can do whatever you want.

Moderator and Priest
    So Lick, you got any more impressions? WE'RE WAITING HERE!

Here's an overly detailed comparison of the differences between docked and portable mode on the Switch. Apparently the one biggest difference between the two is the lower resolution when playing it undocked. But considering the screen is a little over 6 inches, and the game's running at said screens native 720p, it actually ends up looking a little better.

The biggest advantage, and the biggest surprise, is that the game actually runs far, far better in portable mode. I haven't watched it all the way through yet, but it looks like the game maintains a consistent 30 FPS throughout, never once dropping anywhere below that, while docked will jump between 20-30 constantly in the same scene.

Last edited by Renzatic; 3rd Mar 2017 at 12:59.

Southquarter.com/fms
    On a total whim, I stopped by local Best Buy at 10AM, and bought a Switch. And Zelda. Full report soon. Funny, because 10 minutes later, I got a notification on my phone that my Wii U version of BoTW was delivered.

Moderator and Priest
    Cool. I'm probably gonna pick one up for myself here in a couple of weeks, so I wanna hear about everything I can in the interim.

More impressions, its fucking awesome! Very easy to die as you can wander into situations way too hard for you, there is actual stealth (with a sound meter), body temperature, so you need better clothing if you go into the higher up snowy areas, or else you can concoct recipes that will give you a temporary cold resistance. It really does feel like s survival sim, but at the same time it is still definitely a Zelda game. When you get to a high point you can see the whole world spread out before you, with all these cool looking places that just beg to be explored. Dont think I will be doing much else this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    I'd love it if Nintendo did a Sega and gave up on the hardware.
    Hey, that's my line!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm too lazy to type too much at the moment, but I will say this game is incredible and amazing. It is absolutely a system seller, totally worth buying a Switch or Wii U for. I wish I had a way to share some screens. Initially I've just been exploring around and mapping out the world, and that's taking me hours and hours and hours. Haven't even really played the actual core of the game yet.

One other thing I'll say is that it doesn't atm feel much like a Zelda game. As much as I love the series, I won't even say that's a bad thing.

When I got my Wii U, it came with the Windwaker port, which I enjoyed greatly (my first Zelda game played from beginning to end). I'm thinking that most likely Breath of the Wild will be the last Wii U game I buy - though not immediately, since I've got a bunch of PS4 games to play first.

If you enjoyed Windwaker you will definitely love BotW, in fact windwaker is the game it reminds me of the most.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Breath of the Wild looks like a Ubisoft game but one that it's alright for hipsters to like.

sorry guys, zajazd couldn't be here this week so I'm filling in.
    I am bak but I don't have an opinion, except that Nintendo is for kids.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Amazing review.

I find this pretty amazing:

I'm not extremely up to date on Cemu, the Wii U emulator, but it seems that it's already doing a very good job with older games (i.e. higher resolutions at better framerates), and they managed to get Breath of the Wild to run and be playable, if not brilliantly so, a few days after the game was released. While I'll get BotW at some point, I'm thinking that I might wait until it runs well on Cemu.

Southquarter.com/fms
    That is impressive, although IMO this game should played on the largest screen available in your house. It's gorgeous and the views and sight lines really stand out. Maybe I'm just an old guy now, but I tried playing the Switch in portable mode, and it was really hard on the eyes and difficult to see everything. It just doesn't do the game justice. I think I'll be reserving that mode for simpler, indie type games.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    That is impressive, although IMO this game should played on the largest screen available in your house.
    That's the good thing with the Wii U version: I'd have the choice between emulating it, with higher resolution and better framerates (once Cemu has caught up sufficiently), or I could play it at 720p but on a big screen with a good sound system. Either option appeals.

yeh its quite the niceness on a 50 inch screen, even on the wii u. I couldnt imagine playing it on a tablet, you would lose the grandeur of it.
    We have 3 games going atm, my 2 eldest kids are playing as well, its quite funny fighting over wii u time to see who gets to play. The thing is each of our games is totally different, cos we have different playstyles.
    also this is my thought process atm "ZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAoh crapworkand shitZELDAZELDA"
    Last edited by PigLick; 7th Mar 2017 at 10:19.