TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breath of the Wild

I quite liked them for the change of pace that they offer. One of them (the Zora one) I got stuck on and had to go lookup a let's play to figure out where to go next. Rest were fine. The desert and wind ones were my favorites.

I'll also note that for the Zora one, having the ability you get from the wind divine beast is of benefit at certain bit in there. It got me past the bit I was stuck at. I'm trying to be as a vague as I can to not spoil anything.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I loved the Divine Beast Vah Ruta "boss fight". Every stage of it felt really good.

Don't have the camera upgrade, I'll be on the lookout for that.

Level 10,000 achieved
    But yes, overall I'm loving this game. Think I forgot to mention that. I have some issues with it but they're mostly quite minor, like Malf pointed out on last page the "going into inventory to grab food and cook it" procedure is a bit more clunky than it needs to be. And I still don't feel entirely comfortable with the controls. Always have trouble switching weapons mid-fight. And the conversations with NPC's are a bit too sluggish. I can't click through them as quickly as I'd like. I wouldn't mind so much if any of the characters at least had anything interesting to say, but it's all just bland fantasy tropes and NPC quest giving dialogue. "Have you seen the WHITE HORSE?" "If you could find it, please bring me the WHITE HORSE." No buddy, I think you've had enough white horse, I'm cutting you off.

Thing What Kicks
    ...and if Beedle ever gave me anything decent in return for one of those damn beetles he's craving...

But yeah, for a first-party Nintendo game, the controls are pretty crap. I was going to say especially after Mario, but even that has control combos that involve stupid finger contortions every now and again. Anything that requires the player to hold down a face button to sprint while moving, leaving the camera stick only reachable by another digit on your right had is an indication that the game's designers haven't put enough thought into the controls.

Level 10,000 achieved
    My only issue with Mario's controls are that jerking the controls sideways to do a spin-throw has like a 50/50 chance of succeeding. C'mon Nintendo, this motion-control nonsense ain't working and there's 2 unused face buttons right there!

Level 10,000 achieved
    I might just have to install this game on PC as well. Some of the mods people are making for it are amazing.

More wonderful mods here: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-legend-of...erfully-weird/

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    I actually found the Divine Beasts the most tedious part of the game, I kinda wish it had just been 4 big normal style Zelda dungeons.
    Agreed. I never felt like I solved them so much as stumbled on the solutions through trial and error.

As for the controls, it took me months of playing before I stopped occasionally pressing the wrong buttons. Now that I’ve switched to Odyssey, I’m sure I’ll be just as clumsy when I go back to finish up BOTW. That’s rare for a Nintendo game, but I’m not sure what else they’d do given the number of things to control.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    No buddy, I think you've had enough white horse, I'm cutting you off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhiteHorse.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	2430

Level 10,000 achieved

Tonight's progress: got the camera upgrade, registered my first horse, got beaten up for walking on flowers.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, well that's what you get, Henke.

Anyone else try going straight to Hyrule Castle after leaving the starting area of the game? I was surprised that the game even allows you to do so as it feels like you're getting away with something that you shouldn't be doing but it's actually a lot of fun. Of course, I broke all my swords in trying to fight the final boss but I'm sure the fight is possible if you plan accordingly and grab a few items along the way. I'm sure there's already been some amazing speed runs but I've been avoiding all Breath of the Wild videos and articles so as to keep things fresh.

Anyways, I quickly gave up on trying to beat the game right out the gate though and instead chose to loot the area for some decent equipment before continuing with the proper path that the game lays out for you. Still, its pretty cool to see that the game does allow you to go straight to the end if you so desire. I also just got the camera upgrade last night as well and have been trying to recover all the lost memories in addition to activating every tower before proceeding with the game proper. It's just so much fun to run around and explore this world and the fact that the entire world is open to you from the start is just incredible. Between this and Mario Odyssey I'm more than satisfied with my recent Switch purchase.

Has anyone tried the Master mode that came with the latest dlc? Its hard, really hard.

Moderator and Priest
    As much as I love Mario, I think my two favorite games on the Switch thus far are Zelda, and, yeah, okay, I admit it: Stardew Valley. Rive is another good one I picked up for $12, but it's more a fullscreen game, since I find the joycons only work so well with twitch twin-stick shooters like it.

And no, I haven't picked up the Zelda DLCs yet. I'm waiting for the final one to drop before I do. But by then, I'll probably be deep into Xenoblade 2.

The first one which added the extra gear collectables and that 30 or so level dungeon are quite good.

The first half of the DLC is definitely worth getting in advance. I complained earlier about the game feeling broad but not deep, but in the challenge rooms all that breadth suddenly becomes strategic options because of the limited resources. As long as you don't cheese the whole thing with ancient arrows, which at the time I didn't know could destroy non-guardians it's more brilliant and tense than most of what's in the main game.

And I actually quite enjoyed hunting around the world for all the new costumes.

It gets quite hectic towards the end. The ancient arrows saved my ass quite a few times. Nearly died more times than I can recall. Takes a good few hours to get through which adds to the tension of not wanting to die as you'd be right back to level 1. That's Dark Souls style tension right there. Luckily for me I knew the game back to front except on the workings of a couple of the guards (the flying one in particular). That dungeon is the most hardcore bit in the whole game, requiring you to REALLY understand how everything works in-order to succeed.

Be sure to destroy every tree you see in-order to possibly gain cooking ingredients that'll save your ass against the guardians and larger enemies. I barely made it through. By the final level I thought I was going to die for sure but somehow made it through. Barely.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Last 10 days progress: Did a roundtrip of Hyrule, unlocking all the towers, doing a bunch of shrines. Tamed a giant horse. Did a bit of crossdressing. Freed two more Divine Beasts, only the one in the volcano to go.

This game does a great job of conveying the "hero's journey". I constantly feel like I'm getting better, conquering smaller challenges on my way to the epic finale. Having the whole world be centered around the place you'll have to go in the end is great design, since you're regularly seeing it in the distance, dreading/anticipating your final destination. And the game's difficulty is just right. The world is thrilling to explore because it feels very dangerous, yet it never gets too difficult.

Also, I only found out today(thanks to the internet) what the Korok seeds do. Well that certainly sounds useful! So now I'm searching for this Hestu character.

Moderator and Priest
    Man, you've done in 10 days what's taken me 2 months to do.

How many shrines have you found so far?

Level 10,000 achieved
    58 (if I'm reading the loading screen stats correctly) I've got 2.6 stamina circles.

And I've probably played it on average ~2 hours per day, more on weekends.

I’ve had it since May and I still have about 20 shrines to go. I deliberately play it at a slow pace, generally avoiding fast travel and trying to savour it, which I think it’s suited to.

Worked out some good cooking recipees? Looked them up online or skipped that?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Four Divine Beasts have been freed, and the legendary sword has been reclaimed.

It’s time to face Ganon! >:|

That was some quick work!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Haven't confronted Ganon yet, but here's some clips from earlier in my journey.