TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breath of the Wild

Breath of the Wild

ok so is anyone here picking this up on release, apart from me? I wont be getting a Switch atm, but have pre ordered the Wii U version, am pretty hyped. Huge Zelda fan, really looking forward to this.

Thing What Kicks
    Skyward Sword killed my enthusiasm for Zelda dead. Used to be a big fan, but that game was just too patronising.
    I must admit to a certain curiosity about Breath of the Wild, but not enough to splash the cash on a new system. Increasingly, I'd love it if Nintendo did a Sega and gave up on the hardware.

Skyward Sword was possibly the worst zelda game out of them all, and I am saying this as someone who owns all the zeldas

Finally my feelings on Skyward Sword are echoed. I was totally flummoxed by all the praise on release. I couldn't even get through an hour of that boring mess without flinging the controller in frustration, and I tried six separate times to give it another fair go.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I never understood the fanboy hatred for Twilight Princess, yet the acclaim for Skyward Sword.

Twilight Princess was a stunning game with some amazing characterisation, whereas Skyward Sword, every time I spoke to an NPC I'd have to put with an agonizingly slow delivery of text, repeated ad infinitum. On top of which, the motion controls felt shoe-horned in, and the world felt completely disjointed. None of the dungeons at all were memorable.

Shitward Sword, as it were, I think that was an anomaly of bad design. But you cant judge a whole series of games on one crap entry.

anyway more talk about BotW and less about the forgettable zeldas

Southquarter.com/fms
    Pre-ordered this a few months ago for Wii U. All the early reports, "pre-reviews" or whatever, are saying that the game is really hard. Maybe not Dark Souls hard, but heading in that direction. It also sounds like to some degree, that Nintendo is changing up their typical Zelda formula a bit, and the gameplay won't be your standard LoZ variety. We'll see about that. I am hyped for this though, my copy should arrive Friday, and well, there goes the weekend.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Skyward Sword was possibly the worst zelda game out of them all, and I am saying this as someone who owns all the zeldas
    All the Zeldas?

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    The near universal praise Skyward Sword got on release is ridiculous. IGN gave it a perfect score!

Moderator and Priest
    I haven't played Skyward Sword, but it looked boring enough for me to dismiss it. Like Nintendo was just spinning its wheels to release another Zelda game.

Breath of the Wild looks like its complete opposite. A Zelda game with some interesting gameplay mechanics, a wide open world, and doesn't follow the same mold the entire series has been cast into since Ocarina of Time. It looks cool enough for me to consider picking up a Switch in a couple of weeks, just enough time for me to see if the word of mouth surrounding the console and the game are positive enough to warrant it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Breath of the Wild looks like a Ubisoft game but one that it's alright for hipsters to like.

sorry guys, zajazd couldn't be here this week so I'm filling in.

Moderator and Priest
    I oughta smack you upside your mouth for saying that.

Moderator and Priest
    Since this involves Breath of the Wild, I guess we can make this the unofficial Switch thread as well.

Cuz...

GIRLISH SQQUUEEEAAALLLLL!

This is what u all raving about?!? Looks laaame...

Moderator and Priest
    No, N'al. That looks awesome!

No u

Moderator and Priest
    Shuddup.

Take you to The Hague.

Moderator and Priest
    The Hauge would agree with me. Your case would totes be dismissed with prejudice.

Moderator and Priest
    Okay, now that I've completely destroyed N'Al in a heated legal debate, who's planning on getting a Switch here? I wanna know, so I can harass you all about it.

Take you to The Hague for harassment.

Moderator and Priest
    It's friendly harassment.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think I'll wait on the Switch until there's more than 2 exclusive games for it!

Seriously, wtf Nintendo.

Moderator and Priest
    There are tons of interesting games coming out for it eventually, though it's release is a little on the weak side. Then again, with Zelda out, that might be a wise thing. Better to stagger them out after everyone's done with it, than try to compete with it head on.

I'm looking forward to this game, which I think Henke posted about a month or so back. The Switch version looks just about as good as the PS4/PC rev, and it strikes me as the type of game I'd rather play on a portable anyway.

...and, of course, Blaster Master.