TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How important is it that your significant other enjoys Thief?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    @Shaz: I attended regular BBS meetings with my gf (now wife) in the mid to late 80s in Nashville. Those were such fun times!

My ex wife was tolerant of my Dromed addiction. She got motion sickness easily, so couldn't really play any first person games for very long without getting a headache and feeling ill. She did like to play through Russ's Thief's Holiday sometimes though.
    My current girlfriend (Voiced Cypress in Godreaker) likes Thief well enough. She doesn't really play it herself, but she likes watching and loves games in general.
    She also loves Zelda and Elder Scrolls (two of my other favorite game worlds) and is currently playing through Skyrim again. (Actually, we both are)

Tonight we plan to get pizza and play the new Zelda.
    It's going to be a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    @ slavatrumpevitch - do you have any links for those statistics? I don't disbelieve them but it would be good to see where they came from.
    I could probably find some corroborating sources, but these are actually my own calculations from broad sample proprietary data. (I didn't calculate them for this thread, they were stats I had on-hand from prior work. They come from 2010-2014, so not 100% current but pretty close.)

Back to the subject at hand, personally I find it so much more nerve-wracking introducing a significant other to thief than to, say, a favorite movie or piece of music. It's so much more personal. If I think about my favorite movies of all time, maybe there's one I've seen 10 times? That's what, 20 hours of my life invested into that? If my girlfriend thinks it's "stupid $h!t," that might sting a bit, but it's not a major indictment of my chosen time investments. In contrast, I've probably logged a couple thousand hours of Thief+FM's in my life, and another 500 or so on DromEd (WITH NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT! lol). So much more a part of my life than even the most influential movie, etc...

No worries about corroborating evidence but you might want to find a phrase other than 'stupid shit'.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    I even have few friends who play games at all and nobody I know in real life has played Thief.
    Idem. It's a lonely business out here.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    No worries about corroborating evidence but you might want to find a phrase other than 'stupid shit'.
    I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just using that phrase to be consistent with Yandros' and Chk772's earlier posts.

I'm sure you weren't intending that. It's just good to be completely clear about what's being said.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    For the record, my wife's comment was said jokingly and not derisively. I'm sorry it kicked off a somewhat contentious series of comments in this thread.

That's ok Yandros. The way I read your original comment was along the vein of the whole 'If it's yours, it's your shit, but if it's mine, it's my stuff' comparison. And since we all love Thief, we know it's not shit. Nope. It's our stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Hello, it's 2017, not 1997. It's more or less 50-50 by now, at least in generations around their 20s-30s. You really have to be backwards or living in a bubble to still spew that nonsense.
    It's not 50/50.

Unless you think that he is talking about 'casual gaming/mobile gaming'..

There's a reason why we usually have a male protagonist, the market team usually know what's up. (See how many people played Fem Sheppard in Mass Effect.).

I'm suspecting you got that 50/50 ratio from here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ry-doesnt-know
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ideo-games-iab

Looking at that research you will find this:
    "Furthermore, 54% of survey respondents cited their phone as their favourite gaming platform."
    Moreinfo: http://pyroteq.com/girl-gamers-demographics-myths/

Check any gaming forum, any community. Count the players of any PC multiplayer online game right now, Battlefield, Dota 2, CS:GO even For Honor. I doubt that half of the team will be made of girls.
    Last edited by Rubim; 3rd Mar 2017 at 20:59.

My wife isn't into most of the games I play, Thief prominently so. She's more into Puzzle/Hidden Object games, which is fine with me on 2 levels.
    1, she doesn't bug me about my gaming habit.
    And 2, we don't argue over the way we play.
    Win-win.
    That said, I don't think I could be in a relationship with someone that doesn't game.

My hands don't care what I do, or if I play thief or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubim View Post
    It's not 50/50...
    So, you're basically saying that it's not 50/50 because half of women don't play AAA shooters, which is ridiculous. We are talking about gaming as a whole phenomenon. AAA shooter is only one genre and a just a portion of a market. There are many more audiences and genres, obviously.

Aren't we talking about PC games only? Lots of people out there don't even consider mobile "games" as games at all. It's just a funny little thing you can do to kill time. The games on the contrary are serious stuff, it's like reading a book, your mind absorbs it as a piece of art. In this case yeah, PC is mostly men area, sadly or not. But women are more interested in stealth than in a strategy or a shooter, I suppose. At least in my social surroundings.

It's the current year, man. Stop being so problematic. Candy Crush is a perfectly valid game and just as hardcore and immersive as Thief.

50% or not, I don't think anyone can argue that women don't make up a sizeable portion of gamers, but it does depend on the genre. Here's one recent study on the subject: http://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19...mers-by-genre/

Even within these genres though, in this study there are individual games where women make up a higher percentage than in the genre in general, like for example Dragon Age Inquisition (48% DA:I players vs 26% western RPG players). So it might be more of a "current state of genre" thing rather than simply a genre thing. For example, there's another post on the above linked site that suggests that women like killing things with swords and spells more than with guns and lasers, so a fantasy themed FPS might go over much better than a military/sci-fi themed one.
    Last edited by Starker; 4th Mar 2017 at 10:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    It's the current year, man. Stop being so problematic. Candy Crush is a perfectly valid game and just as hardcore and immersive as Thief.
    It's really hilarious when people trying to undermine stuff like being a hardcore Sudoku or Puzzle Quest player, when it's basically in the same category as being a hardcore Battlefield player, i.e. it requires higher level of engagement and skills. And now you're just trying to include some other categories, like "immersive", to look down on other genres and people, classy. Fortunately, immersiveness (?) has nothing to do with being a 3d game, or AAA shooter.

But it's not even about that. In my country, as backward as it is, there's already a generation of people who grew up having PCs or/and PS2, both boys and girls. Some of them still have consoles like PS3, others play PC games, or just mobile games. They're getting married and they will have kids, to whom discussions like this one will be a strange thing (well, that's the hope).

And on the personal level, I have at least 3 women among my friends who grew up having PS2/PC (their own or shared with sibling), and they have been fans of games like Diablo or Final Fantasy series. Only one of them really likes shooters (kind of fits the stereotype, as she is the most competitive personality of the 3).
    Last edited by Judith; 4th Mar 2017 at 11:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    50% or not, I don't think anyone can argue that women don't make up a sizeable portion of gamers, but it does depend on the genre. Here's one recent study on the subject: http://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19...mers-by-genre/

Even within these genres though, in this study there are individual games where women make up a higher percentage than in the genre in general, like for example Dragon Age Inquisition (48% DA:I players vs 26% western RPG players). So it might be more of a "current state of genre" thing rather than simply a genre thing. For example, there's another post on the above linked site that suggests that women like killing things with swords and spells more than with guns and lasers, so a fantasy themed FPS might go over much better than a military/sci-fi themed one.
    From the same article:
    " A game dev we recently chatted with mentioned that some designers she works with still assume that only 5% of core gamers are women, and that the quoted 41% of women are primarily casual gamers."

So, you're basically saying that it's not 50/50 because half of women don't play AAA shooters, which is ridiculous. We are talking about gaming as a whole phenomenon. AAA shooter is only one genre and a just a portion of a market. There are many more audiences and genres, obviously.
    Well...

Every AAA game, even some indies are carved to attract Male Audience.

Wanna see the population demographic for For Honor (Recent Ubisoft Game), i can guarantee to you that's not 50/50.

No, i'm saying that it's not 50/50 cause Woman in the general media are irrelevant to the triple AAA market.

I don't think that 50% of the player base of any recent released game are girls.
    It's really hilarious when people trying to undermine stuff like being a hardcore Sudoku or Puzzle Quest player, when it's basically in the same category as being a hardcore Battlefield player, i.e. it requires higher level of engagement and skills. And now you're just trying to include some other categories, like "immersive", to look down on other genres and people, classy. Fortunately, immersiveness (?) has nothing to do with being a 3d game, or AAA shooter.

But it's not even about that. In my country, as backward as it is, there's already a generation of people who grew up having PCs or/and PS2, both boys and girls. Some of them still have consoles like PS3, others play PC games, or just mobile games. They're getting married and they will have kids, to whom discussions like this one will be a strange thing (well, that's the hope).

And on the personal level, I have at least 3 women among my friends who grew up having PS2/PC (their own or shared with sibling), and they have been fans of games like Diablo or Final Fantasy series. Only one of them really likes shooters (kind of fits the stereotype, as she is the most competitive personality of the 3).
    Don't be so obtuse, as i pointed out earlier. I'm pretty sure he was not talking about mobile/facebook farmville etc...

I can agree to you that's is a tin line, but its super weird to compare Sudoku to Battlefield, no matter how much time they have on the game.

Could you at least agree that the AAA Industry, are usually focused on the male audience? We can easily prove that by using that genre chart. One of the most prominent genres (the ones that sells more) are Shooters.

I think The Sims ($75 million annual revenue for The Sims 4) might have more than 50% women, actually. And certainly no one is disputing that quite a lot of the AAA gaming industry caters primarily to men, but women are by no means a marginal part of gaming if you are willing to look beyond that. There are quite a lot of women who play RPGs and adventure games and other games that are considered "real games". Surely those are "core gamers" right there.
    Last edited by Starker; 4th Mar 2017 at 12:36.

Speaking of obtuse, it's hard to discuss anything with someone who easily jumps between "games are not for women" and "AAA action games are not for women", as if it was the same type of statement. And saying that AAA shooters are typically targeted at men is like saying that water boils at 100°C.

But that isn't much a concern nowadays, with AAA shooters being a dying breed for a few years now (with new Doom and Titanfall2 being a nice exception). Also "AAA industry = AAA shooters" – nope. Games are more diverse now. If there's any bigger trend, it's the open-world games, with all the subsets of genres within, and for everyone to enjoy. Mostly because no sane developer, indie or AAA, would want his game to reach only a fraction of the audience.
    Last edited by Judith; 4th Mar 2017 at 13:00.

My bad, y'all. RIP ostensibly benign thread topic

No, it's our fault for derailing the thread, sorry. Anyway, I don't remember playing Thief with any of my significant others, I only recall showing it to my family. They seemed intrigued that it's 3d and not about shooting, but that's all

Well, I tried to get my ex into games and started out with 90s adventure games (which were older than herself), but the relationship only lasted one and a half years and I never got around to showing her Thief.

Now I need a new girlfriend to introduce to Thief.

Well, on topic my whole family (including my wife) has played and enjoyed Thief, mainly 1+2 but we didnt mind DS as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast