TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How important is it that your significant other enjoys Thief?

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Speaking of obtuse, it's hard to discuss anything with someone who easily jumps between "games are not for women" and "AAA action games are not for women", as if it was the same type of statement. And saying that AAA shooters are typically targeted at men is like saying that water boils at 100°C.

But that isn't much a concern nowadays, with AAA shooters being a dying breed for a few years now (with new Doom and Titanfall2 being a nice exception). Also "AAA industry = AAA shooters" – nope. Games are more diverse now. If there's any bigger trend, it's the open-world games, with all the subsets of genres within, and for everyone to enjoy. Mostly because no sane developer, indie or AAA, would want his game to reach only a fraction of the audience.
    For Honor it's not even a shooter and i really doubt that half of the population of that game is a woman.

If i said that games are not for women then i'm sorry, let me clear everything to you:
    - Developers don't USUALLY care about female audience.
    - Female gamers are a minority in most triple AAA games. (For Honor, Wild Lands, Hitman, Just Cause 3)

The sole reason we started this discussion was because you starting making fun of a guy, "it's not 1997 anymore". Making him sound like a delusional for thinking that the VAST MAJORITY of the gamers are men.

At least you concede to a point, but spoiler alert. It's not just AAA Shooters, console/pc games in general are carved for men.

And yet you're doing it again, my making fun and the whole point still stands. It's like talking to a wall.

Well, feel free to stay in your bubble then, as long as you're not being a jerk, running around telling people how their games are not games, or how inferior such games are to what you're think a game is. Because as of 2017, this view it is very limited.

As a sidenote, I had a very nice afternoon today with my friends, 2 modern couples, and one of the topic was games. How awesomely progressive and super modern we felt, talking about AssCreed Black Flag, Inside, and Life is Strange, all enjoyed by both sexes :O

My significant other and I used not only to play Thief, but to share it: we bought a headphone splitter and took turns to ghost each mission. Late at night, we talk endlessly about the experience while listening to the soundtrack. We laughed, cried, felt scared and rejoiced with our love for the game.

Then I woke up.

Quote Originally Posted by slavatrumpevitch View Post
    My bad, y'all. RIP ostensibly benign thread topic
    I thought it was still pretty benign. It may be wandering slightly off topic but it might result in a more varied discussion although not exactly what you intended. Could still be good.

Its funny i read this ... i tried forcing my wife to like and enjoy thief 1... she just hated it because its first person " egoshooter"

Im still trying to convert her... but she refuses ... one day i will convince her that thief is awesome... thief is passion... thief is life !

Quote Originally Posted by BruderMurus View Post
    one day i will convince her that thief is awesome...
    I wonder how you're going to 'convince' her.

Quote Originally Posted by BruderMurus View Post
    i tried forcing my wife to like and enjoy thief 1...

BruderMurus is banned?

Well, I feel sorry for his wife being forced into playing thief - this doesn´t sound like a happy marriage.
    Last edited by Thinking Robot; 7th Mar 2017 at 14:47. Reason: Removed inappropiate Columbine joke - sorry, folks :/

Desperately dodgy geezer
    If you're surprised that he's banned, you haven't been paying attention.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Just a tip for you bud, Columbine jokes aren't funny.

Is that what that is? Not impressed.

No more on the BM saga now, thank you.

It had to happen. I wonder if BruderMurus comes back with a different account...
    Last edited by H3H3; 7th Mar 2017 at 14:43. Reason: 'rules are rules'

Oh dear. Forum rules:

No Spamming

Spamming is characterized by the initiation of threads or posts that contribute nothing to a forum, be it off topic or on topic. Examples include: empty bodies, bodies with few words that have no relation to the current thread or discussion and those posts that state they are Spam, either to annoy or increase a member's post count. This determination is made by the forum Moderator or Administrator and is not up for discussion.
    I'm sure that increasing your post count isn't what you're doing.

Going mildly off topic in a thread can be good and beneficially expand a discussion but if you have nothing at all to say that relates to the OP, then kindly go and say nothing somewhere else.

And yes, I am grumpy because I have to get up at 4 in the morning and my tooth hurts.

Forum rules are great. No-one ever reads them so you can trip people up whenever you feel like it.

I have actually been thinking about the OP in the last couple of days. As I said, my 'other' bought T1 for me in a bargain bin for a fiver. I was desperately looking for something after being engrossed in Resident Evil (3 I think). Thief was just brilliant because I don't really enjoy battle. I loved the puzzles and searching for stuff in RE but failed the boss battle in the last I played. Mainly because it didn't interest me.

I did try, on a couple of occasions, to get him to have a go with Thief but he wasn't interested. I, on the other hand, have done stuff in the 'SO's' game to keep it going when he was unable to do it himself. I think I'm a hero!

But having found Thief, I've not been able to let go of it at all. I find myself to be quite stealthy (or at least very quiet in my life). But we are both able to enjoy our respective games without hassle from the other side - which is always good even though it occasionally comes up as bone of contention on rare occasions. (You've got to get your ammunition from somewhere, don't you.)

I don't really mind not being able to share my video game experiences. A large part of gaming has always been a solitary activity for me. And in the worst case I can still go and talk about them on the internet.

What really irks me, though, is that I have boxes of board games just sitting in the corner. These days, if I want to play them, I have to go out of my way to get people together and it tends to be such a hassle that I rarely bother anymore. But that's what I get for being from the generation where board games mean stuff like Monopoly and Snakes and Ladders to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    I don't really mind not being able to share my video game experiences. A large part of gaming has always been a solitary activity for me. And in the worst case I can still go and talk about them on the internet.
    The majority of computer games that I truly enjoy are single player experiences, or even if they can be played multiplayer I prefer the solo player experience. By 'can be played multiplayer' I mean everything from old Infinity & Aurora Engine games like Baldur's Gate & Neverwinter Nights to the MP aspect of the latest BioWare games, and not so much true MMOs, which I do prefer playing with other people. My husband is more or less the same way, though there are games he enjoys playing with friends that I'm not interested in. We still enjoy talking about them with each other, however, even if we don't enjoy playing them ourselves. I know how he's been doing in World of Warships and his issues trying out Heroes of the Storm, and he knows my thoughts on Torment: Tides of Numenera and how I'm nervously anticipating Mass Effect: Andromeda. And he of course knows ALL about my love of Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    What really irks me, though, is that I have boxes of board games just sitting in the corner. These days, if I want to play them, I have to go out of my way to get people together and it tends to be such a hassle that I rarely bother anymore. But that's what I get for being from the generation where board games mean stuff like Monopoly and Snakes and Ladders to most people.
    Board games! Now here is where my husband & I enjoy gaming together. Though, yes, it can at times be difficult to arrange game nights with our friends, we still do what we can to have game nights on at least a semi-regular basis. I still wish we had a larger pool of friends to game with, however! It can be hard to find nights where enough are free to really get into something. Damn competing work schedules!

I convinced my girlfriend to try Thief a while back, and she loved it, but didn't get far. She's too busy with different projects, and just doesn't have much time for it