TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How important is it that your significant other enjoys Thief?

How important is it that your significant other enjoys Thief?

Those of you with spouses, fiancés, bfs/gfs, partners, etc... do you play Thief together? Does your significant other have the same zeal for the game that you do? Maybe they don't love it, but tolerate it in small doses?

I've introduced girls to the series who fell in love with it, and continued to play FMs even after we'd parted ways. But I've also been with girls who find the whole idea of playing video games to be stupid/insipid. That's never been a deal breaker, but it sure is more fun to share my thief experiences with a similarly inclined taffer(ette).

Desperately dodgy geezer
    My wife doesn't play Thief, and sometimes refers to my mission creating hobby as "your stupid Thief $hit". Although she also expresses admiration for screenshots and the like I've shared with her. I'd love it if she also played and loved it as I do, but I'm fine with it being otherwise as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    My wife doesn't play Thief, and sometimes refers to my mission creating hobby as "your stupid Thief $hit".
    Wonder why women always have to be so rude and jealous towards men's hobbies they don't understand. Imagine the uproar when we called their handbag shopping their "stupid shit". Actually, now that i think about, it actually is some stupid shit. How good that i'm not engaged.

Southquarter.com/fms
    My wife obviously knows I'm a big gaming fan, but she's clueless on the specifics - she wouldn't know Thief from Pacman. She's just not into games on any level, so I don't see her sneaking through Bafford's anytime soon.

Why did I marry her again?

Wanna slap?

As long as my other half is busy with whatever he's playing and keeps out of my hair, then I'm happy.

Kind of like Nickie, actually, nowadays. My husband used to play Thief, years ago and played some FMs as well but didn't stick with it very long, which is a bit of a blessing as he generally uses his sword rather than sneaking. Listening to servants go "Ooh! Aaah!" was more than I could handle. Now, he's fine with me spending as much time on it as I like and he does his own thing.

I even have few friends who play games at all and nobody I know in real life has played Thief. I guess it doesn't really matter.

Always wondered why Thief wasn't so popular among my russian schoolmates. Why every one played Counter Strike and no one EVER heard about Thief series (with exception for a one close friend) ? But now I get it - it's just because they lacked patience and intellectual desire to investigate things. No wonder why they preferred games without any plot at all. Girls on the other hand were more familiar with Thief and other stealth-like games, which is actually very soul-soothing.

Well, I don´t have a wife right now
    I made similar experiences like Sadovnik - the broad mass (of male players) seems to play shooters or other fast games. It is not a russian phenomen. The girls I know are either chatting on social media or are watching TV.
    But surely I would introduce my girl gently to the Thief games...

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    Wonder why women always have to be so rude and jealous towards men's hobbies they don't understand. Imagine the uproar when we called their handbag shopping their "stupid shit". Actually, now that i think about, it actually is some stupid shit. How good that i'm not engaged.
    opinion of you = downvoted, and I thought you were cool man.
    thief is not a "mans hobby", ffs. You are an ass sir.

You really want to argue with me that playing video games is dominantly a men's hobby? There are women playing video games, of course, but, how many, compared to the males doing so?

Anyway, regardless of that, i don't know why you call me an "ass" for my statement. Especially as the reaction i commented on was quite a rude one. I wouldn't call a friend's hobby "stupid shit".

Southquarter.com/fms
    Don't mind Piglick, he's usually either drunk or high. He'll forget all about this tomorrow.

Closest my wife gets to Thief is Russ' Christmas mission. She can barely make Garrett walk a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Don't mind Piglick, he's usually either drunk or high. He'll forget all about this tomorrow.
    Really not mad at him, but i just don't understand the reaction in this case. Of course, i was playing with a stereotype in my first response, and the "handbag" thing is really not to be meant taken that serious. But, calling someone's hobby "stupid shit" is still something which is very rude and mean to me. Even if it is something seemingly as trivial as playing video games. And i can't see anything wrong in claiming playing video games a "men's hobby" as well. There are wormen who play video games, yes, but, there's many more men playing video games, at least the ones you install on your computer. For Facebook games, that may not hold true. But we didn't speak about those, did we?

My wife isn't the slightest bit interested in Thief.
    You do have to have at least one interest that is solely your own in a relationship, I believe. Just as long as that hobby isn't all consuming to the detriment of that relationship.
    My wife plays poker, and is damn good at it to boot. That's her thing. I can't even cut a deck without stuffing it up! .
    We have many, many activities we can enjoy as a couple, but having that space to connect with yourself, is a must.
    Thief is my thing...that and bare knuckle fighting.
    Last edited by Purgator; 2nd Mar 2017 at 15:28.

Spot on, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    You really want to argue with me that playing video games is dominantly a men's hobby? There are women playing video games, of course, but, how many, compared to the males doing so?

Anyway, regardless of that, i don't know why you call me an "ass" for my statement. Especially as the reaction i commented on was quite a rude one. I wouldn't call a friend's hobby "stupid shit".
    Hello, it's 2017, not 1997. It's more or less 50-50 by now, at least in generations around their 20s-30s. You really have to be backwards or living in a bubble to still spew that nonsense.

If you say so. Guess it's like with everything these days, if we just believe enough, then it has to be true.

Mobiler Beitrag

I'd rather not have the thread hijacked by these sorts of arguments, but I will chime in (as a data scientist) with some facts. Judith is right that it's about 50-50, when you looking at gaming overall. (actually 51-49, in favor of women and 54-46 in favor of women when you look at people over 35). However, much of this comes from mobile gaming---ipad, iphone, etc...

When you look at PC gaming, it's still 60% male dominated; a majority but not an enormous one. When you restrict further to FPS (which is not how I would classify thief), it's more like 80-20 male dominated. RTS is even more male dominated at roughly 90-10.

Another discrepancy between the mobile gaming stats and the PC gaming stats is purchase vs. play. The apple store keep impeccable track of who is buying what games. But Call of Duty keeps track of who is playing how many hours.

I tried to introduce my ex to Thief. He bought Thief 2, but I don't think he ever played through the first mission. He was more into shooters, and clearly the game was too slow-paced for him. It didn't affect our relationship in any way. :P

Sure it would be nice to have another taffer in the household, but I've never even met other Thief fans outside of the Internet.

You could knock me over with a feather if Mrs Yandros was doing anything other than joking about it. Edit. On the other hand, we all know that Yandros is a desperately dodgy geezer so the jury is probably out for the forseeable future.

I've also tried with my other half but he prefers strategy type stuff so that's why we just get on with our own games. He bought it for me in the first place so he's in no position to complain anyway. I tried with my children but neither of them play now and it was only my son who gamed a bit anyway. I still retain hopes of subverting the grandchildren when they're a bit older.

@ slavatrumpevitch - do you have any links for those statistics? I don't disbelieve them but it would be good to see where they came from.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I think I need the custom title "Desperately dodgy geezer".

Mrs. TannisRoot doesn't play video games, but she humors me by listening to me talk about them.

She did give Portal a try once at my behest, but unfortunately she couldn't get past the controls. Specifically, she kept staring at the in-game floor and gave up in frustration. She's way smarter than me though with a master degree and fluency in multiple languages, so I guess if it's something you never grew up with it's hard to make it click later in life.

*The women I was attracted to were never interested in vidya. Not sure what that would've been like.
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 2nd Mar 2017 at 17:12.

It's not very important to me since the wife and I play a ton of other games, but over the last 2 years she has started to take an interest in the game. She played a Thief's Holiday the last two years and has started to take up some of the less daunting FMs. I want to encourage her to try a mission that can take several hours, but I restrain myself since I don't want to drive her away from it. Hopefully her interest will continue to grow. I'd like someone to play the multiplayer mod with.

I'm more of a gamer than my husband is, though he is IS borrowing my Shadowrun: Dragonfall at this very moment. I'm the Thief player in this house, though he knows how much I love it and is always regretful he and a friend explained it to me as an "FPS type of game" back when it first came out, causing me to not even consider playing it (I don't typically enjoy that particular style of game, and they were honestly trying to be helpful). Of course, Thief *IS* an FPS, if you translate the S as Stealth instead of as Shooter... sigh. I'm glad I did eventually decide to pick it up a few years later, and consequently fall in love with Stealth games, and Thief 1&2 in particular.

Sidenote time: skip the following if you're only interested in the OP's question!:
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Hello, it's 2017, not 1997. It's more or less 50-50 by now, at least in generations around their 20s-30s. You really have to be backwards or living in a bubble to still spew that nonsense.
    I find myself thinking about this now and then. I recall quite vividly the days of BBS Meet-and-Greets in my town, in the late 80's through early 90's. I recall the male-to-female ratio being about 60-40... so, yes, male dominated, but not outrageously so. I also recall that many of the big, well known local BBSes were run by girls. I know that was just a small, local sample that one can't really extrapolate from, yet it really came as a shock to me over the years to find out that the ratio WASN'T like that/considered to be like that on 'the real internet'. It was all a very... 'how did THAT happen?' kind of thing, to me. "Uh, yeah, I'm female, and this is a surprise, why?" Heck, I still know a few of the women from those Meet-and-Greets. They never left the internet. It grew around us. It's still odd to know 'I've always been here' but to randomly witness surprise from others recognizing that I and those like me existed in the first place. I mean, c'mon. I'm only a master sneak in Thief...

Having my significant other play Thief has never been a requirement, but damn is it a plus. After I started dating my current girlfriend, I convinced her to play through Thief Gold and Thief II (with some slight assistance from me) and she enjoyed the experience, though it wasn't quite the same magical experience for her as I had with it when I was a kid. I really should have her play some fan missions, but these days, I don't even have time to play Thief myself. Which is sad, because I have like 4 different projects in the works that have been halted for most of the past year.