TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Article on Thief Level Design

Article on Thief Level Design

Not sure if this has been posted, but here's an article I just saw posted on Gamasutra:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Miche..._mechanics.php

Yeah it's a very good and well written article, well worth a read. I had a small back & forth with the author on Twitter about the supernatural elements.

Nice article. I really enjoyed it.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Oh, this game. It's so absorbing that when it catches you you feel the (sometimes urgent) necessity to keep deepening and scrutinizing every detail, no matter how trivial or hackneyed may seem at first. Lovely article, it thrilled me from the very beginning. .

Speaking of Thief articles--and rather than start my own thread I feel like I should add this here--I stumbled into a postmortum by the coder of the Dark Engine's render code.
    http://nothings.org/gamedev/thief_rendering.html

It's mostly technical stuff, but this one part stood out, and I saw a part of the game I hadn't noticed before (really a part of dromed where you can best see it).
    The entire space started solid, so one brush operation was "carve out a hole in this area"--in other words "change the area covered by this brush to open". For example you would use this to carve out a room. Another placed solid matter; you could use this to create a pillar. Another placed water, and another lava. Because space could be of 4 types (solid, air, water, or lava -- oh hey, the 4 classical elements!), each operation could be considered by which output type it produced.
    Even in the most mechanical guts of its rendering sourcecode (or maybe especially there), the metaphysics of the Thief universe privilges the four classical element types as the types of brushes you can make. Kind of cool little insight I had into Thief metaphysics today.
    What do you see when you turn out the lights? / I can't tell you, but I know that it's mine. (J. Lennon)

That sounds interesting but I'm not do sure about the lava. I think technically lava is a water brush.

There are a lot of interesting articles about Thief at Gamasutra.

Well it's the thought that counts.
    Of course there's a little glitch in its reality lining up perfectly. This is still Dromed we're talking about.

Dromed has been pretty good to me lately so I won't complain.

Do undead have different AI than regular guards as the author states? I never noticed this.

Zombies have duller senses overall and mostly use random patrols, at least in Cragscleft and in the Bonehoard. Haunts are very similar to Hammerites.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I always thought zombies gave up searching for you much quicker after an alert than other AI, could be wrong on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I always thought zombies gave up searching for you much quicker after an alert than other AI
    They do, in fact.