Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Make Thief great again

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    But the story was bad, and badly told.
    It's not THAT bad, it's really badly told

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Garetto View Post
    PS. Sorry for the very long first post.
    Heh, don't worry about it. Welcome to the forum, Garetto.

I also really disliked this character the "Thief-taker general". Even his name sounds stupid. Who would actually name a character like that?
    A combination of the real titles of thief-taker and Witchfinder general, but it does sound clumsy.

I haven't really looked into the matter so don't kill me if I'm asking something that everyone knows: does anyone know who was running Thief the Circle the Thief fanmission/art/literature/software site up until 2010 when he started as a level designer "on an unannounced project for ZeniMax Media/Bethesda Softworks" as a certain Arkane (Bethesda Softworks, a ZeniMax Media company) game comes to mind?

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/#topnewspost
    Digital Nightfall. He announced his departure from Thief FM work here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133822

Ditto henke's post. You spell Stephen Russell and Garrett properly and you've got your apostrophes in the right place. You're very welcome here.

I'm afraid I only skimmed your post as my time is a bit limited at the moment but I do agree with many of your points. I have a question. If you've been playing since 1998, what took you so long to get here?

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Ditto henke's post. You spell Stephen Russell and Garrett properly and you've got your apostrophes in the right place. You're very welcome here.

I'm afraid I only skimmed your post as my time is a bit limited at the moment but I do agree with many of your points. I have a question. If you've been playing since 1998, what took you so long to get here?
    Lost in Thi4f Escher-like Keepers Library

Arkane have never made any secret about their influences and they have inserted multiple overt homages in their games. There's a scene that mimics the keeper training in Dishonored and a lot more. Heck, there's a Looking Glass server in Prey. And Arx Fatalis was originally meant to be Ultima Underworld III.

As for the copying, that's how art works. Good artists copy, great artists steal. It's been happening in literature and it's been happening in movies and there's no reason why it shouldn't be happening in games.

Southquarter.com/fms
    The story wasn't bad either - I think Erin was a welcome change I'd been waiting for since the first Fan Missions I played (Calendra's Cistern?) and the character could've been developed and used more in the whole game (see what they did with Dishonored 2 - Choosing between Corvo and Emily?) Maybe not that far but having her included more as the other Thief backup/sidekick would've been great. He's had help before.
    Nice first post Garetto. You make some interesting points, but you lost me here. I thought Erin was one of the most irritating characters I've ever experienced in a game. To me, I thought she had no redeeming qualities, and I found myself not caring whether she lived or died. The rest of the story, overall, was awful, especially how they put so much focus on "the claw." In the end it was just nothing special and eminently forgettable (not to mention, in a whole lot of areas, it didn't really make sense).

Also, FYI, following up on what R Soul said, Digital Nightfall is also one of the people who founded this site.

Hi,
    To me first Thief games are the games of my life. Not only games but whole, complete experience. I remember that I felt of it as of something deeper, smarter, something with its own soul. Thief was innovative in terms of gameplay back then, but still is innovative in terms of story-telling, world & character building - factors which are never get old. I believe most of you have similar feelings.

I have played both Dishonored 1 & 2 and like both of them. They surely have something in common with Thief series and I have respect of Arkane Studios for bringing back some memories; giving us some fan-service which is clearly seen throughout their games. Dishonored simply brought back tons of fun for people - also for those missing Garrett. Even if Dishonored may be comparable in terms of gameplay though, it has nothing common in terms of experiencing this title. Like I said Dishonored is very good and plays very good, but won't replace any of the first Thief titles if we are talking about the story or characters. Not to me.

I miss real Thief sequel, don't want any prequels, reboots or remakes and would say no to any changes to the characters or gameplay.
    I still hope for a worthy sequel with Garrett as we want to see him, with captivating story and missions full of surprises.
    I believe it can be done again, not by relying on stunning graphics or unnecessary/stupid ideas.
    To summarize: decent story-telling, Garrett's return, simple gameplay and complex, vast missions would make Thief a great game again. How impossible it could be?

PS. Before premiere of Thief 2014 I was afraid of its "open" world and I was right in the end. It was poor executed and made game more diluted (and boring) than should be. Thief was never in need of having one. I would rather see many missions with their own stories instead of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123