TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Names mentioned by NPCs

Names mentioned by NPCs

Which named characters have been mentioned by NPCs during their conversations or other speech? It is possible I might have misheard or misspelled some of these, but the ones I can remember are:

Thief Gold
    Jorrid, as in "Jorrid tells me the Hammers are going to close down Cragscleft..."
    Stutter, as in, "Did you hear about Stutter's job last night?"
    Trogg, as in "Somebody already got to Trogg"
    Keville, as in "Is that you Keville?"
    Old Bradford, as in the one who got killed by the glowing rocks from the Moon.

Thief 2
    Jorrid again, as in "Is that you, Jorrid?"

The reason I am asking is because it has always bothered me that Benny's partner, voiced by Dan Thron, doesn't have a name, so I am going to informally give him one in my own head, based on which of the names mentioned could have been referring to him. So far Jorrid seems the best choice. Or possible Stutter, since he actually is voiced by Dan Thron

Also just wish to see who gets mentioned across more than one game, such as Jorrid (assuming I heard correctly).

Dante is used in a conversation between a guard and a servant - something like "Evening Dante. You look exhausted."

In TG Thieves' Guild some of the other thieves use Garrett's name as does Karras on the Victrola in his office. Karras also uses Garrett's name at the beginning of Soulforge. He also refers to Viktoria as "the woman of the woods."

The thieves in Assassin use Garrett's name at the start.

The female guard in Ambush uses Garrett's name.

Garrett uses his own name in a conversation between himself and Lotus. Garrett also uses the name Lotus and Karras in the same conversation.

Frederick Juniper Rothchild III was mentioned by himself.

In another conversation a female Noble calls her co-conversationist Christopher.

Lady Valerius was mentioned by both one of the guards and the hermit.

Lady Rumford mentions Father Karras and Jenevere at Shoalsgate.

The Hammerites discussed Cutty at Cragscleft. Garrett uses Cutty's name in the jail cell, and I believe he might have used Cutty's name in the cut scene right before Cragscleft.

Karras is mentioned by various Mechanist in and out of conversations.

Truart was mentioned in Ambush and by several guards at his Manor.

In the cutscene between Garrett and Viktoria Garrett uses her name.

Garrett mentions Captain Davidson in Shipping and Receiving.

I'm sure I could remember more but it's getting late.
    Last edited by john9818a; 20th Mar 2017 at 03:09. Reason: Added more info

The archers in Life of the Party mention Lady Van Vernon (Lord Van Vernon shows up in a readable at the Wieldstrom in TDS) and Master Willy. The Shemenov estate also partly appears in that mission, and they're mentioned by a Hammerite in Break from Cragscleft Prison as making shoddy knives.

The hermit refers to himself as Raule.

dead pagan girl named dewdrop :P in thief 2 trail of blood

names lilly pagan little girl ghost,aka minnow,birch is the ghost father,ceder and jabril are in a note in pagan village

of course benny :P

The bank guard calls the Archer "Mart" in a conversation in the First City Bank.

Benny (supposedly) calls the banker Mr Marin in his First City Bank office.
    Last edited by john9818a; 20th Mar 2017 at 10:07.

Wasn't that thief called "Sutter"? Stutter could be a nickname are best.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think one of the Mages in TMT refers to another Mage as "Aroun."

Also, one of the guards there refers to another as "Betram."
    Last edited by Brethren; 20th Mar 2017 at 13:52.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    dead pagan girl named dewdrop :P in thief 2 trail of blood
    I thought you told us recently that Dewdrop was male.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Just go with it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    More Mages Towers - a mage talks about himself in the 1st person as Verlyn the librarian.

Cutty mentions Felix in Cragscleft.

Also, one of the Hamemers refers to a guy named Tarius who bought a knife from the Shemenovs.

In Assassins, one of the guards refers to Quince and Jacow as being on duty tonight. I can't remember if this dialogue was actually used or just exists somewhere in the audio files.

In Thieves Guild, a downwinder mentions Gibson, another Thief who got caught robbing Bafford's after Garrett had already been there.

Dano is named as the guy giving one of the downwinders the password to get into the Overlord's Fancy.

In Undercover, one of the Hammers refers to "Dewall's thugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post

he is a male ,if you look at what you posted i said the pagan ghost girl named dewdrop before her ghost mom appeared and they both left,the ghost girl is the ghost who told you about dewdrop,not sure how you think i said dewdrop was a girl?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Maybe it has something to do with the way you type your sentences.

usually yes brethren but this time i actually did it right

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Wasn't that thief called "Sutter"?
    Maybe you are right. I'm sure I have misheard some of them. I originally thought in Assassins Benny said "Yorrick tells me the Hammers are going to close down Cragscleft..." but I think it is Jorrid rather than Yorrick, after hearing the name mentioned many times in T2 "Jorrid, is that you?"

Sutter is my current favourite for my nickname for Benny's partner as we hear him at the start of Thieves Guild and he is voiced by Dan Thron; in Framed there is a Benny conversation in which Benny's partner talks about them previously working for the Downwinders (if I am remembering things correctly); and in Masks during Benny's conversation at the start, his partner mentions that they worked for Lord Donald, who (also if I remember correctly) was one of the Guild's bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    In Assassins, one of the guards refers to Quince and Jacow as being on duty tonight. I can't remember if this dialogue was actually used or just exists somewhere in the audio files.
    That conversation happens in my install. The implication being that those were the assassins you tailed at the start.
    Last edited by Cigam; 20th Mar 2017 at 19:22.

Thanks for the names. It is interesting to see which ones crop up more than once in the series.

Have remembered a few more that I do not believe have been mentioned. Brothers Murus, Martello and Renault in RttC.

A female Mechanist can be heard to say something like 'Brother Enack warned me to switch to tea but did I listen?'

In T3, I think Captain Robert Moira's first name is mentioned by his wife.

Sargeant Porter is named by the Mechanist priestess, and Porter names the Mechanist priestess as Foreman Hobert in Casing the Joint.

In Masks the servant refers to the Hammerite as Father Norell.
    Last edited by john9818a; 20th Mar 2017 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    He also refers to Viktoria as "the woman of the woods."
    During Karras's "prattling" he also refers to her as the witch woman, and the trickster woman. He also mentions Constantine.

In T3 we discover that Benny's surname is Sinclair.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I never took the Sinclair character to necessarily be Benny. I mean obviously it's the same Stephen Russell voice and all, and so most of us probably consider it to be Benny, but I'm not sure that was their intention.

Benny is just the name given to every character with that voice surely. As far as I am aware the first (and only?) NPC ever to be named in game as Benny was in Truart's games room in T2. Then retrospectively every guard with that voice in T1 became Benny, as well as every other in T2, and then T3?

So the character named Sinclair was also Benny, as well as every other Benny in T3. It is a generic name rather than one single character's name, if that makes sense.

In Shipping and Receiving the Hammer is referred to as Yorriel. I am wondering if I misheard and this is the same Norell as mentioned above as being in Masks.

It's Uriel, not Yorriel.

It's not really possible to determine which 'Benny' was actually a Benny except for the one conversation in Truart's Manor because in most cases his voice was used on more than one guard in any OM that contained guards or City Watch. When I make my missions I override the voice selected on all of the guards so that there is only one Benny.

I never thought Sinclair was Benny either.

At Soulforge Karras refers to himself in the 3rd person.

One female Mechanist refers to another Mechanist as 'Good Cog'? when she somewhat notices Garrett. This might be a name or possibly a nickname.
    Last edited by john9818a; 24th Mar 2017 at 15:02.

Also, in TMA, one of the idle quotes for the "Benny" guard is "I don't like being pushed around. No one pushes Benny around!"

However, the latter statement is vague enough that the Benny in question could either be the guard speaking or someone else, i.e. that statement could be read as "I, Benny, will make them stop pushing me around!" or "Why does no one push around that other guard, Benny?"

In the meantime, I've been reading through the voice file transcriptions on the Thief Wikia and making a list of all the names of minor or unseen characters. When I'm finished, I'll post the names here, along with the relevant quotes. It's a LONG list, though - the NPCs in TDS were far more likely to use people's names than NPCs in the other games.

We can deduce from the intonation of the spoken statement, 'no one pushes Benny around', that he is in fact referring to himself in the third person, in TMA.
    However, across the other Thief titles, not everyone with that 'dumb guard' voice is Benny. It's simply that, a generic 'dumb guard' voice, a motif. Sinclair is another dumb guard, not Benny.
    'Good Cog' is a religious reference, I believe. A 'good cog' is a worthy member of the Mechanist order, it's a term of indoctrination.
    'Naughty Cogs' get spanked. Hard. And they like it.
    Last edited by Purgator; 24th Mar 2017 at 20:12.

Spot on, Chris.

"Good cog" sounds more like a surprised exclamation, something akin to "holy Christ" or "good Lord" or "gosh".