TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Rate T2X missions from worst to best

Rate T2X missions from worst to best

This had to happen someday, and it is still fresh in my mind, so... Feel free to detail.

13. Betrayal
    12. The Redistribution Game
    11. Shadowing the Enemy
    10. A Question of Knowledge
    9. Unexpected Shelter (very subjective decision, I admit it)
    8. The Art of Deception
    7. The Grand Hotel
    6. The Cure
    5. While The City Sleeps
    4. ...Of Ill Repute
    3. Into the Fray
    2. Down Among Dead Men
    1. The Trials That Shape Us

Man, that was unexpectedly hard.

I do love a ranking every now and then, and I replayed the series a few months back.

13. Betrayal
    A lackluster finale. Even shorter than Maw of Chaos in Thief 1, not really interesting gameplay. Highlight: The final room looks great and you get some choice in how you plan your attack there.

12. Into the Fray
    Eh. I never much liked this one. A lot of AI on high alert, and while it is possible to stealthily avoid them with some practice and some luck, it isn't the most fun gameplay. I get why Zaya needs to visually confirm she got her revenge, but the preparation was a lot more fun than the actual consequences. Highlight: the docks.

11. The Grand Hotel
    I've always felt like I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of the hotel. It's larger than it should be, and by being so large it doesn't establish feelings of decadence and grandiosity enough for me. Highlight: the blackmail!

10. The Art of Deception
    I like the idea of doing both infiltrations in one mission, but the city section didn't add that much that wasn't already present in earlier missions, and [SPOIL]the Cavador section has never made much sense to me. Why would a man who soon will turn to the Mechanists start an initiative to make the Hammerites stronger? Why not let the smugglers have the orb? I never understood why Zaya didn't decide to give the letter to another Hammerite priest in the complex. Highlight: Smuggler's basement. The theatre plays.

9. Shadowing the Enemy
    Loved the train section, but the station itself is always a bit too off-putting sciencefictiony to me. Highlight: A moving traaaain!

8. The Redistribution Game
    I don't mind forced ghosting, and it made a lot of sense here. Fortunately it's also not too hard, and the mission is quite small, so you have a feeling of making a major discovery in almost every room. Highlight: the abandoned tower with an actual good lockpick.

7. A Question of Knowledge
    I love it when sometimes you get a detailed map, inviting you to systematically tackle the level. The hammerite temple really lends itself for that kind of play approach. Fun gameplay, and some fun little mysteries. The only downside for me is that it could have used some more details, story-wise. Highlight: The library in the end, which is kinda scary for some reason.

6. ...Of Ill Repute
    So much visual storytelling! So much humour after a grave discovery! And on top of that you get your first try-out with the Confusion Arrow (if that's the name). This is a silly lovely mission. Highlight: Oh so many, but I think I'll go for Hammerite role-playing room.

5. Unexspected Shelter
    The first mission really gives you a lot and draws you into the story. You meet Kedar, you lose Kedar, you find a temporary shelter, you have a mystery, solve the mystery, meet an ally, you find a less temporary shelter. Highlight: The chase that inevitably leads you to the mansion.

4. The Trials That Shape Us
    A lot to look at and a nice classic Thief experience after the strange first mission. Also a lot of details, good fore-shadowing, and humour. Highlight: The mummy. You know what I'm talking about.

3. The Cure
    Soul Elementals are scary bastards. The hospital, while ruined and full of undead, still has a strange beauty. The readables are divided very intelligently so you gradually come to learn what happened. Highlight: Climbing the towers of the inner temple.

2. While the City Sleeps
    Just a great city mission. So much to do and to explore (I actually missed the thieves last time I played it!), and a feeling of dread on what you might find in Kedar's office. On top of that all kinds of experimentation with the Ice Arrow! Highlight: Finally reaching Kedar's office.

1. Down Among Dead Men
    I played T2X for the first time when I was still young and a bit afraid of the normal zombies and haunts. But the mission is so beautiful and has so much to offer that I for once didn't seem to mind an undead mission. It also helped I could chop off their arms and heads. Highlight: Getting the Orb. You really, really deserved that Orb.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    12. Into the Fray
    Eh. I never much liked this one. A lot of AI on high alert, and while it is possible to stealthily avoid them with some practice and some luck, it isn't the most fun gameplay. I get why Zaya needs to visually confirm she got her revenge, but the preparation was a lot more fun than the actual consequences. Highlight: the docks.
    If you take it like an opportunity to nuke those bastards instead of stealthing, it can be a pretty fun time. In my case it also was tense, because I ran out of arrows when I was cornered by a couple of angry Hammerites.
    Not precisely going legit here, but sometimes a change is refreshing.

9. Shadowing the Enemy
    Loved the train section, but the station itself is always a bit too off-putting sciencefictiony to me. Highlight: A moving traaaain!
    The way those passengers dance at the rear is beautiful. Music is so ghostly...

6. ...Of Ill Repute
    So much visual storytelling! So much humour after a grave discovery! And on top of that you get your first try-out with the Confusion Arrow (if that's the name). This is a silly lovely mission. Highlight: Oh so many, but I think I'll go for Hammerite role-playing room.
    Agree with your highlight. My honourable mentions are the naughty library and the corpse (abrupt, dark, great).

5. Unexspected Shelter
    The first mission really gives you a lot and draws you into the story. You meet Kedar, you lose Kedar, you find a temporary shelter, you have a mystery, solve the mystery, meet an ally, you find a less temporary shelter. Highlight: The chase that inevitably leads you to the mansion.
    Thought I was the only who liked this mission so much. That chase made it the best introductory level ever. Also, my first time inside the mansion really freaked me out.

3. The Cure
    Soul Elementals are scary bastards. The hospital, while ruined and full of undead, still has a strange beauty. The readables are divided very intelligently so you gradually come to learn what happened. Highlight: Climbing the towers of the inner temple.
    The last heist is terrifying. Now that you mention it, is true: the backstory is marvelously delivered.

2. While the City Sleeps
    Just a great city mission. So much to do and to explore (I actually missed the thieves last time I played it!), and a feeling of dread on what you might find in Kedar's office. On top of that all kinds of experimentation with the Ice Arrow! Highlight: Finally reaching Kedar's office.
    It's like a mini-Life of the Party. So gorgeous.

1. Down Among Dead Men
    I played T2X for the first time when I was still young and a bit afraid of the normal zombies and haunts. But the mission is so beautiful and has so much to offer that I for once didn't seem to mind an undead mission. It also helped I could chop off their arms and heads. Highlight: Getting the Orb. You really, really deserved that Orb.
    For me it is THE undead mission of T2X. Excellent combination of Down in the Bonehoard and Return to the Cathedral (even with a little The Lost City attached). And the Orb, well, you said it!

My favorite T2X Mission in no particular order

Unexpected Shelter
    Love the atmosphere and I always wanted to know more about the abandoned mansion

The Trails that Shape Us
    Always love a good Museum Mission

While the City Sleeps
    Love City Missions

The Redistribution Game
    Really good mission and I usually don't like forced ghosting

Question of Knowledge
    Great Hammerite Mission

Down Among Dead Men
    Great Undead/Haunted Mission

The Art of Deception
    Great City Mission

Of Ill Repute
    Great Atmosphere

The Grand Hotel
    Really Good like a less nerve wracking version of First City Bank and Trust

The Cure
    Another great Undead/Haunted Mission

Disliked or Meh feelings

Shadowing the Enemy
    Into the Fray

Betrayal
    Just the weakest mission in the campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrebo6 View Post
    Unexpected Shelter
    Love the atmosphere and I always wanted to know more about the abandoned mansion
    Hell yeah.

Of Ill Repute
    Great Atmosphere
    That horny tune is amazing, so anachronistic. It's funny, but it actually works in this periods-blend world.

The Grand Hotel
    Really Good like a less nerve wracking version of First City Bank and Trust
    And even so it has FCBBAT-worthy moments.

Disliked or Meh feelings

Into the Fray
    Seems that I'm alone with this one.

I have played T2X three times but don't remember nearly enough to rate the missions, but I rate the ability to behead zombies with 10 out of 10.

Some opinions are more valuable than others and it's definitely true, when it comes to my opinions (or anyone's, for that matter) being more valuable that PotatoGuy's.

Anyway, here's my list as well:

13. Unexpected Shelter - despite some neat tricks in the Haunted House and a conceptually good introduction, I didn't enjoy it that much - both the tragic story as well as the mission. Only the stuff below the mansion near the end was kinda nice, but not too much.

12. A Question of Knowledge - pretty good in many ways, but again - not that enjoyable. Something about the aesthetic and design didn't click with me that well, even though parts of it were quite nice, like the roof entrance in the cathedral and whole area with the secret door.

11. While the City Sleeps - a solid mission, but it didn't have that much of a standout quality like almost every other mission did.

10. The Grand Hotel - don't remember much that I explicitly enjoyed from this one, except maybe something on the top floor and the mission giving me a bit of the "First City Bank and Trust" feeling

9. The Trials That Shape Us - good introductory mission, interesting exhibits and descriptions. This happens to be the mission where I most vividly remember the jarring hammer for a blackjack.

8. Into The Fray - not the most thief-like mission, I find it similar to "Escape!" from Thief 1 in many ways. Pros: a quick and fairly intense revisit to a place you know. Cons: can give a sloppy chaotic feeling inside during/after playing it.

7. The Art of Deception - has at least 1 memorable piece of dialogue in it and very nicely done mapping together of various parts of Sunny Town.

6. Betrayal - not sure how this got so high up on the list, but I did enjoy the tie-in to the original Thief 2 story, as well as the straight-forward path toward the finale. Not as cool as "The Maw" from Thief 1, but with at least a slighlty less tedious final battle than "The Maw".

5. The Redistribution Game - a very nice pirate-themed mission. Loved the hide-out and ghosting the whole thing. I remember thinking the conversations were good as well.

4. Shadowing The Enemy - probably the best trailing mission I've ever played. It explored 3 unique, aesthetic and memorable locations in mostly unique and unseen ways and just stood out overall as one of the most unique missions in the campaign, if not the most unique.

3. Of Ill Repute - it's getting harder to narrow down the best of the best missions, but this has to be on the top 3... How could it not be. It's just funny, aesthetic and very memorable.

2. The Cure - excellence. I didn't enjoy the enemies, but the design of the place and being afraid of (and avoiding) the opposition was a thrill. Very good stuff and I remember the readables being an intersting read as well.

1. Down Among Dead Men - in my first playthrough of this game this was the initial map that I abandoned my playthrough on - I didn't want the zombies and more importantly - I got stuck somewhere (might have just not found a path to go on), but upon revisiting it some years later I ended up enjoying it more than any other mission. It has the look, the atmosphere, the story and the challenge - all set up to be one great standalone exploration of desolation, isolation and a glimmer of hope of getting out of this alive.

Well, there it is.

Never tried rating all the missions, should be interesting.

13. Into the Fray
    This mission is a pain for anybody who wants to ghost. Thief is not designed to sneak around fully alerted enemies. It's just frustrating.

12. Unexpected Shelter
    Not much gameplay is happening in this mission. It also requires lots of waiting around. But I'd still rather play this than Into the Fray

11. Betrayal
    Very short, very anti-climactic.

10. Shadowing the Enemy
    A rather boring mission because most of the enemies do not alert to you at the train station or on the train. And the final part is just following the smugglers, which is very easy.

9. The Cure
    Not a big fan of this one. It's not hard, but has some very frustrating moments. I also find the aesthetic boring since the lighting is green everywhere.

8. Redistribution Game
    Too short and easy for my taste, but the aesthetic is very nice.

7. Art of Deception
    Love the atmosphere of a tourist town in the off-season! Street ambience is amazing here.

6. Trials that Shape Us
    Sweet mission. Lots of fun reading different plaques.

5. The Question of Knowledge
    Another mission with very nice and warm ambience. It also features some of the most hilarious conversations.

4. While the City Sleeps
    Kinda small, but nicely interconnected and very enjoyable city mission.

3. Of Ill Repute
    This one has the best atmosphere when it comes to non-undead missions of T2X. The brothel is remarkably believable. Once again, hilarious conversations!

2. Down Among Dead Men
    This one has the best atmosphere overall. It is a bit linear, but very enjoyable nontheless.

1. The Grand Hotel
    The biggest and most challenging mission. That's why it's #1 for me

Well, it wasn't that hard

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    . . . my opinions (or anyone's, for that matter) being more valuable that PotatoGuy's.
    Are you two ever going to do another joint review? They were so funny - I miss them.

I can say that First City Bank and Trust is almost the best from T2 missions, but The Grand Hotel is almost the worst from T2X missions. For me Hotel=Bank because of architecture.

Among dead men was probably the best mission but nothing can beat the original games.