TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking?

What are you cooking?

I just made BREAD!

Basic white, a little undersalted but consistency is good. Made whole wheat before, but it didn't rise as much as I wanted to. Now that I got the process down again (used to do it way back in college), time to experiment with ingredients

Throw in some dehydrated onion flakes. Om nom nom!

Moderator and Priest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToiletChicken.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	2341

Hey that's funny, I've been making bread too. I've been cultivating a sourdough starter for a few weeks now and have been regularly baking loaves, trying to improve. They already taste great and have a nice crumb, but getting them to rise is a challenge.

Embedding images from a phone is surprisingly hard, so here's a link:
    http://m.imgur.com/zuWjTQC

Moderator and Priest
    To get serious for a second, if there's one thing I'd love to learn how to do, it'd be bake bread.

I love sandwiches, but I can never make a truly good one at home, because all the store bought breads I commonly get are always so dry and bland.

It's not difficult; just time consuming, especially if you try it with natural yeast like I am. You have to feed the starter twice a day and plan your baking like a day and a half before you actually bake. Not that I spend all that time on the bread, but you have to do a few things periodically, letting the dough rise and rest, etc. For someone who doesn't love cooking all that much, I'm finding it surprisingly rewarding.

I just tried sous vide for the first time last night. My wife and daughter keep asking for steak. Normally, the only way I like steak is cooked over a lump charcoal fire in my ceramic cooker, which is currently covered by a foot of snow. I've tried the various traditional indoor methods of cooking steak and have never been satisfied, but food blogs keep raving about sous vide. Now that they make sous vide cookers that you can just drop into any old pot, and they don't cost that much, I figured what the hell might as well give it a try. I went out yesterday and bought an Anova cooker for $130 at Target, and a couple of sirloins that were marked USDA Prime but looked rather average. I just gave them some salt and pepper and sealed them in a ziplock bag with some fresh herbs and olive oil, set the cooker at 130F and did other stuff for an hour or so. When we were ready to eat, I just heated up a tablespoon of butter in a skillet and seared them for a minute or two per side until browned.

They came out great, perfect medium rare, and more tender and juicy than I'm used to from this cut of beef. The texture was closer to what I'm used to from rib steak. I still like the depth of flavor and smoke and char you get from a cooking over a charcoal fire, but the sous vide method seems to preserve more moisture. So if you're living in an apartment and can't have a barbecue, this is clearly the best way to go.

Anybody else cooking sous vide?

Re: the sourdough culture. I like making pizza and tried keeping a sourdough culture for pizza dough, but I gave up after a couple of months. By the time I was getting good results we were tired of eating my pizzas. ? Now I just use active dry yeast from a jar. The flavor isnít quite as good, but itís no maintenance and produces more consistent results.

Mentioning sous vide againÖ
    Last night was round two: salmon. My in-laws gave me about 10 lbs. of salmon they had caught fishing in Alaska. Itís leaner than the farm-raised stuff from the store. I tried baking it, broiling it, grilling on a wet cedar plank, and regardless of method it was coming out too dry if cooked medium, or a little too bland or watery tasting if cooked rare to medium rare. But sous vide saved it. Dry brined for 30 minutes, wiped off the salt, put it in a bag with some olive oil, a bunch of fresh tarragon, and a few thyme sprigs, cooked at 120F for 45 minutes and finished with a quick pan sear and squeeze of lemon. It was some of the best salmon Iíve had. Everybody who likes doing a bit of cooking should have one of these cookers. It has to be the most idiot-proof cooking method I've used.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Anybody else cooking sous vide?
    I've always wanted to make the attempt, considering I've heard nothing but great things about sous vide'd steaks. But considering the amount of money I've sunk into smokers recently, I'm not quit ready to take the plunge just yet.

What kind of smoker? Up here in New England, pellet smokers seem to be all the rage. A neighborhood friend got one last year (I don’t recall which brand) and his smoker burns through pellets pretty fast and they aren’t cheap.

One of these days, I need to get a real smoker. A couple years ago when I came back from Australia and was feeling barbecue deprived, I got a large Big Green Egg, attracted by the possibility of using it as both a smoker and a pizza oven and everything in between. It’s fine for shorter smokes like chicken and ribs and smaller roasts. But for longer cooks it’s not ideal. I can get 12 hours of burn time out of a full load of fuel, but towards the end of a long cook it needs a lot of airflow to keep the temperature up, which dries out the meat.

I splurged on a hardwood table for the Egg and by the end of last year it was collapsing due to rot. So first I need to do something about that, i.e. build one myself. Then I can work on setting up a spot for a smoker.

Regarding sous vide, now that cheap consumer models have arrived it’s no longer a luxury item for foodies. I spent $130 on mine and I’ve seen some for under $100.

BANNED
    for dinner today I'm going to cook spaghetti carbonara
    and bake chocolate brownies for dessert

tonight I'm gunna eat spam

El Shagmeister

Whelp, for the past year or more, cooking with the oven has become a semi-regular weekly ocurrence and it certainly has been rewarding. Makes me wish I had a crockpot to try out some recipes for it.

A few days ago I cooked a lovely boneless pork rib roast that I prepped with some onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper, a nice all-around brush of olive oil and Dijon mustard. Popped it in a pre-heated oven at 400*F or 10 minutes, then turned it down to 350 for 60 minutes (20 mins per lb). Took it out of the oven, covered it lightly with tin foil and let it rest for 10 more minutes before serving. For the actual quantities of ingredients, I just eyeballed it, giving a nice all-around coating of everything, but without drowning the poor piggie.

For the side, I sliced up mushrooms, onions and potatoes (after peeling'em), mixed it in with some olive oil, salt and pepper in a glass dish, added a bit of water and put it in the oven at 400*F for 15 minutes (though I sometimes recommend 20). I took it out, mixed the veggies some, put it back in for another 15 and then I was done.

Dessert was an easy, but tasty, affair: whipped one pint of whipping cream until I saw peaks, then added a can of condensed milk, served'em in cups and added blueberries and raspberries.

Boom.

Motherfucker.

<3

Still Subjective
    Beef Wellington.

First time! gulp!

TDF Boston Style Seafood Chowder.

The trick is to saute the potatoes and herbs in the pot first. I use mostly dill and a little sweet basil in butter and olive oil. Then add mushrooms, lots of chopped onions and caramelise.

Add whole milk to 3 or 4 times the volume of the saute. Add mixed frozen veg and bring to a gentle boil (so you don't traumatise the milk.) Salt to taste (nice sea salt, pink salt or black salt please, you cheap bastards). Thicken with a flour or cornstarch slurry.

Dump in as much fishy stuff as you can fit. Stir well. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.

Even better if you let it steep in the fridge overnight.

For the chowder could you use stock instead of milk for the cooking process, then add cream at the end?

Sure. As long as the stock isn't too strong. I like the all fish effect but that's probably as much psychology as chemistry. Although getting the herbs in hot oil definitely is key to releasing their flavour... ( I think... they say... Nana told me...).

The recipe I based this on used a quart of cream and nearly a cup of butter. My arteries couldn't handle the stress.

Back in Texas we had a breadmaker. One of the best inventions ever. Few things smell as amazing as freshly baked bread, and homemaking it allows you to play with so many variations... add beer for beerbread, mix in small fruits and nuts for fruitbread, mix in olives and peppercorns for whatever you call that, etc, etc.

I really miss it here. Or good bread generally. Most bread in Japan is disgusting. So artificial tasting. It's the kind of bread where, if you squeezed it, some kind of liquid would drip out.

The thing I'm known for making around here is green potato salad... something like 5 potatoes you cook in boiling water until soft, and basically everything green you mix in afterwards: celery, onion, a can of green olives, a green apple cut into squares, and then like some hardboiled eggs, a cup of mayonnaise mixed with wasabi for the kick (like a line for every potato).

Edit. I just knew I had mentioned it before.
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2302152
    Last edited by demagogue; 12th Apr 2017 at 11:11.

Mole, Moms sweet recipe. details later.

A note to the neighborhood - jkcerda always says that --"details later"-- when he starts talking recipes, and sometimes it's AWHILE before the details turn up, but it's always worth the wait, so stay tuned.

long post recipe.
    ingredients.
    1/2 lb pork neck bones
    1 1/2 lb pork for stew.
    1/2 onion
    ********you will use the water from here to make the mole******
    --------------- to the pressure cooker for 1/2 hour or until done.

1 tsp salt
    1 chile ancho (pasilla-ancho) chile needs to be opened and seeds removed.
    2 cloves (I used ground cloves)
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 cinamon stick 3"-4" long
    2-3 garlic cloves
    1 large tomato.
    5 slices of white bread <<<<<<<<< adds texture, the type of bread used will determine how sweet it is.

--------------------------------
    blend everything using 1/2 cup of water EXCEPT the bread.
    notice how dark the mole is, add a little olive oil or vegetable oil to a 3qt sauce pan and bring to boil. cook for 3-5 mins.

----------------------------------
    add water (from the stew) to the mole and fill the 3qt sauce pan , let it warm up.

-----------------------
    use the mole from the pan to puree the bread , I used 1/2 the pan to do 3 slices and the rest to do the remaining 2 slices

---------------

your mole should go from dark red to almost pink after you puree the bread.

move it all to the 5 qt pan

------------ add meat and bring to boil.

------------------------------------

you can make the mole as thin or as thick as you like by using more or less bread. you can use up to 3 1/2 lbs of meat as there is plenty of mole for it.

enjoy.
    Last edited by jkcerda; 24th Apr 2017 at 18:50.

Was planning some pork-chops on the old Weber for tomorrow, but reasons. I walked up to the meat counter at my local Kroger today (Kroger is a large grocery chain here in the states, based in Cincy) over the counter, in letters 18" tall, it says "BUTCHER SHOPPE". I asked the man behind the counter, who was dressed as a butcher (full length apron, complete with bloodstains) if he would please cut me two bone-in chops about 1 1/4" thick. He looked me right in the eye and replied "this isn't a butcher shop, we just have what you see here in the case". All I could do was step back a couple feet and look pointedly at the huge fucking sign over his head and say "I guess the extra P and the E make all the difference, huh?" He had no response. I weep for my country, and my stomach.

Ironically, at my local QFC/Safeway/Ralph/etc. which sports a ton of Korger branded products, the deli guys have no problem slicing meat to your liking.

Meth

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Ironically, at my local QFC/Safeway/Ralph/etc. which sports a ton of Korger branded products, the deli guys have no problem slicing meat to your liking.
    Yeah, as I have moved around town, I have had no problem asking for special cuts/service at other Krogers. I just enjoyed that particular little exchange due to the ironic signage, prolly should have mentioned that they just remodeled this store and the sign is new.