TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Lights Not Switching Off.

Lights Not Switching Off.

Here comes an old chestnut...I am having a problem turning my lights off.
    I have an Electric Wall Lamp,
    Script...AnimLight
    Joint State..None, None, On, On--rest None
    Renderer/Light set at 125 and rad set to 12.
    Switch=Arcing on/off.
    Joint State...None, None, On, On--rest None
    CD Linked to the Wall Light.

So the light itself looks off, the switch points to off, I flip the switch and the light has it's yellow look about it all is fine BUT the light is lighting up my light gem and lighting up the room whether it is on or off at the switch.
    Have seached but cant find a link to my particular problem...it happens to every switchable light type I have tried.

I am assuming you mean ElecWallLight. Since the Renderer>Light parameter is set to 125, it will always light things up with 125 radius. You need to change that to 0 and add the Renderer>AnimLight parameter.

Yes the model id is ElecWallLight...ok I will add the Renderer AnimLight and set the light to 0...here goes...

Perfect, Thanks Larry..set AnimLight to minimum and now the light is off with no light showing, flip the switch and it looks lit and there is light.
    I dont remember it being as difficult before Newdark came along I just seem to remember linking a switch to a light and it switcing on and off??...hey ho.

It's always been like that. What you've done here is taken a normal light and made it animated. There are other lights that are already animated; their names usually begin with "Old", probably because we first encounter animated electric lights in the Old Quarter.

I don't seem to remember sewer lights having to be set up like this but of course but then it might have had inherited the properties because my old installation was well and truely screwed up.

New Dark has not changed the hierarchy element properties. You are remembering incorrectly.

There was so much wrong with my old dromed installation that I think that it had been corrupt when I made a backup copy of it several years ago...this new installation is from scratch and now works like everybody elses...I have an hdd that I plugged into my docking station and it has the original dromed still on it, I ran it and low and behold the wall lights and sewer lights have inherited properties of the old wall light and certainly need no fiddling to get them to work with switches....nice to know that my new copy is the right one now as the older one I think would have thrown up some really nasty surprises during any beta work.

Maybe you accidentally dragged the wall light and sewer lights under old wall light & then subsequently saved your dark.gam.

I think that is exactly what happened John, in the early days I think I wrote over the original gamesys instead of creating another one with a completely different name and thus corrupted it.