TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Object wanted: Exterior wall lamp

Object wanted: Exterior wall lamp

Can anyone build me a lamp like this one in the picture?:

this is a typical old outside lamp used in Portuguese old buildings , i would be appreciated if someone could build me this model, it doesn't have to be with the base ornamented texture like in the picture. just rusty metal textures.

Thanks in advance.

If I remember right there was one made by Sluggs. Do you have his object pack?

PS: Its grnlite.bin, not exactly like the one on your photo but that sort of lamp. BTW he has also made a variation with lamp post.
    Last edited by zappen; 3rd Apr 2017 at 13:39.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Quote Originally Posted by zappen View Post
    If I remember right there was one made by Sluggs. Do you have his object pack?

PS: Its grnlite.bin, not exactly like the one on your photo but that sort of lamp. BTW he has also made a variation with lamp post.
    No i don't have slugg obj pack, where can i find it?

You could build that lamp yourself.

The attachment texture, if you want it, can be made from a picture of a ceiling rose, e.g. http://www.profileplaster.com/ceiling_roses.html

The arm is a cylinder that's bent a couple of times. The light shade is a set of cylinders with the top/bottom faces scaled up or down till the shape looks right, and the bulb is a sphere with some vertices stretched/shrunk.

The underside of the shade will need a material different from the rest of the lamp so you can set the Illum property when you convert the object. If you know the procedure for getting from Anim8or (or Blender, 3dsMax etc) to Thief, the rest will be quite simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    No i don't have slugg obj pack, where can i find it?
    I don't remember from where I downloaded Slugg's object collection but found that object in his FM http://thiefmissions.com/download.cgi?m=Annihilated, just have a try if you can use that lamp.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Rsoul i don't want the ceiling rose texture, it can be just a rusty metal texture. I don't work with animator8 or 3dsmax, and i use only blender for conversion that's what i can only do.

If i knew how to create this lamp i wouldn´t be posting this request.
    Last edited by Cardia; 4th Apr 2017 at 04:08.

Anyone?

Simple shape and texturing. Just symmetric extrude + rotate. Tiled texture. How about doing it yourself?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    If i knew how to create this lamp i wouldn´t be posting this request.

Soul Tear i don't even know how to do a simple cube in Blender.

Doesn't Blender start with a simple cube already? I was inspired by Sluggs to learn how to use Anim8or. A lot of what I learned was from YouTube videos. Anim8or is a lot less intimidating than Blender but once I got over the hurdle of thinking I couldn't make objects I realized how simple it really is, and I felt satisfied knowing I made them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Doesn't Blender start with a simple cube already? I was inspired by Sluggs to learn how to use Anim8or. A lot of what I learned was from YouTube videos. Anim8or is a lot less intimidating than Blender but once I got over the hurdle of thinking I couldn't make objects I realized how simple it really is, and I felt satisfied knowing I made them myself.
    Why don't you work with blender instead? seems to be more complete than anim8or.

Why work with Blender when Anim8or is sufficient? Why introduce more complexity when that complexity is not needed? If you like Blender, then go ahead and use it to build your models. I thought you were saying that it was too complex for you to learn how to model with.

I wish i could have some lessons with blender.

I tried Blender and it reminded me of the scene from the movie Airplane where they showed an exaggeration of the cockpit dash with hundreds of gauges.

Anima8or is sufficient considering the low poly objects we make for Thief. If I were to make objects professionally I would most likely use Blender or 3DSMax. Blender is difficult to navigate and very easy to get onto the wrong screen. I kept losing my object, and even though Anim8or seems odd at times at least I don't have a problem trying to figure out what to do or where to go.

I wish i could have some lessons with blender.
    Google blender tutorials for beginners and you will find lots of opportunities.

you mean tutorial videos?

Cardia
    Seems GORT has retired to vacations?
    Meanwhile let me help you. This object doesn't seem incredible difficult. It will take me about a week (sorry, I know it's too long). If it's OK for you, please don't ask anyone else.
    If you have some desired textures to use, let me know as soon as possible. If no, I'll choose it on my own.
    I tried Blender and it reminded me of the scene from the movie Airplane where they showed an exaggeration of the cockpit dash with hundreds of gauges.
    john9818a, interesting what would you say about 3D Max. Probably it is like space ship. That's why I still use A8.

Thank you Yuri, i was trying to hold up this thread to see if Gort would spot it, or if anyone else would volunteer to do it :-), other authors get quickly volunteers to make them objects, in my case here i got alot of "go make yourself one", "go check tutorials". Usually i find the objects i need in free sites but not this one in particularly.

Yuri, feel free to chose the textures, but preferably rusty metal textures, because i will use the lamps in abandoned and old buildings. Take the time you need, i will take at least two or three months to finish my current project.

At the end of my project i´m going to dedicate myself to Blender tutorials so i can then do a particular object whenever i need.

Hugs

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    Cardia
    Seems GORT has retired to vacations?
    Meanwhile let me help you. This object doesn't seem incredible difficult. It will take me about a week (sorry, I know it's too long). If it's OK for you, please don't ask anyone else.
    If you have some desired textures to use, let me know as soon as possible. If no, I'll choose it on my own.

john9818a, interesting what would you say about 3D Max. Probably it is like space ship. That's why I still use A8.
    Well Blender rather than 3DSMax but yes it shows too many tools at one time.

Cardia I don't think anyone here meant to be mean. People at TEG are willing to help but when it becomes a regular habit of asking for another object then people encourage you to become one of the helpers. I've ask for help on a few objects, but when I realized I needed lots of new objects for my last mission I didn't want to over-burden anyone and I forced myself to learn how to do it myself. It helped me to grow a little more in the FM making world.

you mean tutorial videos?
    And written tutorials. It is not beyond you.

Yes there will come the time i will help others to have their desired objects.

But now it's my turn.
    The object is almost ready, I just have to test it in DromEd.

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    But now it's my turn.
    The object is almost ready, I just have to test it in DromEd.
    Thank you Yuri!

Here it is:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_X...ew?usp=sharing
    Check it and tell me if something is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast