TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to play thief 1 in French. what to do?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    If you're talking about just including the stock French AI voices, that would be patently ridiculous to include them in your mission as the English voices just to force everyone to hear them. Any voices should always be in a (correctly named) language subfolder so that players hear them in their language if possible.

Mike and Russ, if i were to use french voice it would be just in characters around who won't have a conversation with Garrett, you probably have seen that in many games, like for example i´m playing "sleeping dogs" the game takes place in china, people talk Chinese, but the main character talks english, and he has conversations with other characters in English. Do you understand my point now?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Yes, that's exactly what I was saying would be a bad idea. I mean unless you set your mission in France in the real world, then I guess it would be OK but it wouldn't be a standard Thief mission either, so you can make your own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    What can i do with Thiefedit, the file you sent me?
    ThiefEdit is a
    ... nice program that lets you easily browse, view, and replace files in the Thief *.crf archives. Made by Andrew Bednarz ...
    In other words you can hear all WAVs of the snd.crf file without opening it with WinZip and clicking on every single WAV. This is a very easy and comfortable way to listen to all sayings and conversations (en français).
    You can browse all the graphic files of the FAM and OBJ folder and read the books/scrolls like that, too.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I was saying would be a bad idea. I mean unless you set your mission in France in the real world, then I guess it would be OK but it wouldn't be a standard Thief mission either, so you can make your own rules.
    sure off course, i would only add the french voices if the mission story were to have its place in France, for example my next mission will be in Portugal and i will add Portuguese voices to the secondary characters, but the main character will speak in English, and any character that talks to the main character (player) will also speak in English. the good thing about foreign languages is that you hardly notice the repetition of the lines, it makes it more realistic, i had this experience with several games, when characters repeat the same lines one can hardly notice the repetition because were not used to the language but also because we don't know what they're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by zappen View Post
    ThiefEdit is a
    In other words you can hear all WAVs of the snd.crf file without opening it with WinZip and clicking on every single WAV. This is a very easy and comfortable way to listen to all sayings and conversations (en français).
    You can browse all the graphic files of the FAM and OBJ folder and read the books/scrolls like that, too.
    Was this program also done for German language?, i would like to play Thief in German too someday , i still know alot of German, but mainly by reading, and talking but listening to German is still something hard for me to understand the words spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Was this program also done for German language?, i would like to play Thief in German too someday , i still know alot of German, but mainly by reading, and talking but listening to German is still something hard for me to understand the words spoken.
    Well that depends on which language version you have installed. ThiefEdit opens the CRF files in the RES folder, if it would find a german snd.crf it would play the WAVs in german for you. But if I understand right you have recently installed the FR version?

Just try it out, you'll find it helpful since you are a FM author, too.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Now i´m curious zappen i will open that editor...