TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to play thief 1 in French. what to do?

I want to play thief 1 in French. what to do?

There's a Thief 1 in french version that i´m thinking in buying, the problem is that i have already thief 1 installed, if i copy the file "Res" from the french thief and replace it the "res" file of my thief 1 will it be sufficient to play thief 1 in French?

Dóttirin klæðist oft móður möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    There's a Thief 1 in french version that i´m thinking in buying, the problem is that i have already thief 1 installed
    This is not a problem at all. Install Thief, so often you want.

if i copy the file "Res" from the french thief and replace it the "res" file of my thief 1 will it be sufficient to play thief 1 in French?
    No. There are more files involved, as you already know as a FM author.

Zombified
    you also need to set it in install.cfg. also, there shouldn't be a problem with installing the french version normally, many installs of Thief can coexist on one machine without problems.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    There are more files involved, as you already know as a FM author.
    Let's not jump to any crazy conclusions.

As there is no version for Spanish, I use in install.cfg:
    ;cd_path .\
    install_path .\
    language english

Just translated everything into Spanish that was previously written in English. The most tedious part was writing the accents.
    First I unzipped the required files and once the job was done, zipped them back using WinRar.
    But Cardia, you can google up and look for French translations already done.

Thank you, but Unna, the res folder includes already the books, sounds, interface and strings, what is else missing?

Basspferrol, there's a French version here:

https://www.amazon.fr/Eidos-Dark-Pro...++dark+project

i want purchase this French version:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

is it safe to install ddifx with the french version?

is it possible to install this version on a different folder from the folder where i have installed the thief in English?

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Of course, both ddfix and newdark work with the french versions. They are the same game, the only difference is with the translation itself.

And you can have multiple copies of the game installed, personally I have 6 of them at the moment. You may even overwrite your game, you'd have two folders in books and voices, french and english, but it may end up unstable I never tried it.

I wonder if the steam version of the game allows to switch between french english and german.

Merci Drk, Je crois que vais comme même acheter le Jeux en Cd au lieu de chercher le steam version, je vais essayer the remplacer des files "Books", "Snd" , "Strings" et "Intreface"... ou je le peux installer dans une autre folder.

Bought it!, now there's only one copy of thief 1 dark project in french version at amazon.fr

Zombified
    is it safe to install ddifx with the french version?
    TFix should also work, btw.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Why would anyone use ddfix anymore?

Sorry Mike, i meant Tfix

Bought it!, now there's only one copy of thief 1 dark project in french version at amazon.fr
    Oops, I guess it might be a bit late then to mention that there are english to french patches such as mine for Thief: the Dark Project (and here is its read me file, in french) or DXM's version for Thief Gold (though I'm not completely sure that one is complete yet)?

Quote Originally Posted by Constance View Post
    Oops, I guess it might be a bit late then to mention that there are english to french patches such as mine for Thief: the Dark Project (and here is its read me file, in french) or DXM's version for Thief Gold (though I'm not completely sure that one is complete yet)?
    Mais non, ce n'est pas trop tard pour moi, le jeux m'a côuté seulement 2,45 et bien aussi les depénses de courrier qui sont vers 2 euros,et en plus ça me fait plaisir d'avoir le physic version en Français, et se le jeux ne march pas dans mon ordinateur de tout façon je peux utiliser votre/ton patch français, et je vous/te remercie beaucoup de votre/ton aide. (oh...ces trucs de "vous" et "tu", moi je jamais sais comment je dois vous appeler ici dans notre communité de ttlg)
    Last edited by Cardia; 10th Apr 2017 at 19:34.

Constance, est-ce que vous/tu avez/as des patches en Français pour Thief 2 ou Thief 3?

Dóttirin klæðist oft móður möttli
    Everybody knows that you're learning french, Cardia. Bon, élève. Mais c'est un forum anglais.
    If you want to write in french, try this
    http://ariane4ever.free.fr/ariane4ever/

Zombified
    the language of Ravens.

Constance, est-ce que vous/tu avez/as des patches en Français pour Thief 2 ou Thief 3?
    For Thief 2 there's also either my patch ( download link, french readme ) or DXM's version : http://www.dxm.be/navigator.php5?lang=en&content=205.

As far as I know Thief 3 wasn't fully localized in french, you can only enable subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Everybody knows that you're learning french, Cardia. Bon, élève. Mais c'est un forum anglais.
    If you want to write in french, try this
    http://ariane4ever.free.fr/ariane4ever/
    You got me there, yes i´m doing alot of efforts to learn French, everyday i study French grammar and oral expression, also i see almost every days French movies... i wish i could speak so well French as Portuguese or even English.

Thank you for that information, i am subscribed on that forum, i forgot i could have posted these questions there.

Quote Originally Posted by Constance View Post
    For Thief 2 there's also either my patch ( download link, french readme ) or DXM's version : http://www.dxm.be/navigator.php5?lang=en&content=205.

As far as I know Thief 3 wasn't fully localized in french, you can only enable subtitles.

Many thanks Constance, finally i can play my favorite games in French and practice my French by reading and listening in French.

Cardia, you're absolutely right, playing in french is a good method to learn french! I also play in french (and meanwhile made several FM translations into german, too).

Depending on the situations in the game some voices don't appear very often, so ThiefEdit might be a good choice to listen to all of them: http://www.thief-thecircle.com/teg-old/tools/me100.zip

I personally like the french VHammer1, that one sounds very funny.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Viele Danke Zappen, i remember when i had 3 years of German classes at high school, back then , i used to seek German musics and German movies as well to learn better German. Thank you for the link Zappen. What can i do with Thiefedit, the file you sent me?

Just received by Thief 1 "premier collection" , and since i couldn't install it due to a error i was able to explore its content and extract the files i know important to use, "movies" go inside the res folder and take the files "books", intrface" , "strings" and "snd", copied the original English files to a backup file and pasted the french ones in my thief 1 directory, but i also has to find every file that is name "french" and rename it to "english" and voilá it works.

I´m already playing thief 1 in French, all works well, readables, ai creatures voices, movies, objectives, object names all is in french . I like the voices from the french actors, they are really good except Garrett and Benny voice who are incomparable.

I don't understand why French authors of fan missions don't use the ai creatures French voices for their missions, maybe i´ll be the first one using french voices for the ai creatures in some upcoming mission, except dialogues with Garrett, that has to be in English.

Southquarter.com/fms
    If you use French voices, make sure to provide subtitles. Because I'm guessing the landslide majority of Thief players are English speaking.