TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Combo or lever puzzle with multiple solutions?

Combo or lever puzzle with multiple solutions?

Is it possible to make a combo lock or similar with multiple correct answers?

For example, suppose I want the date of Christmas to be the solution, and therefore want to accept both 1231 and 3112, so as to avoid exasperating American or non-American players. Is this easily implementable?

Edit: LOL, I meant New Year's Eve! Thanks for catching that
    Last edited by slavatrumpevitch; 10th Apr 2017 at 14:07.

um ... isn't Christmas on Dec 25th? Unless you are Greek orthodox and then it is January 9th.

Yes.
    For every solution you need a QVarTrigger - as the code is stored in a QVar -

all Triggers then have to perform the same action. For example by linking every Trigger to a Trap, Door whatever you want.

No Christmas is on the 24th :P
    And we already ahve 3 solutions^^

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Usually you would have a QVarTrigger with =1231:combo set on the Trap > QuestVar property, linked to whatever needs to happen when it's set to 1231. In this case, just create a second QVTrigger with it set to 3112:combo, link both of the triggers to a RequireAnyTrap, and link that to whatever should be triggered when it's correct. This is a classic case of how to use the RequireAnyTrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    No Christmas is on the 24th :P
    And we already ahve 3 solutions^^
    Russian Orthodox Christmas is celebrated on January 7th So that's like 14 or 15 different Christmas combo lock combinations. Maybe you should pick something less contentious, like Bastille day.

Besides, the Thief world in non-Christian, so no Christmas. Anyone know when The Builder's Day is?

4 solutions.
    Russian orthodox Christmas is January, 7.
    Maybe it is easier to choose any other holiday?

Usually you would have a QVarTrigger with =1231:combo set on the Trap > QuestVar property, linked to whatever needs to happen when it's set to 1231. In this case, just create a second QVTrigger with it set to 3112:combo, link both of the triggers to a RequireAnyTrap, and link that to whatever should be triggered when it's correct. This is a classic case of how to use the RequireAnyTrap.
    At fist I was thinking about the RequireAnyTrap as well but after some reasearch I came to the conclusion that it is not necessary:

TrigQVar will send TurnOff at game start(if the condition is false) and if and only if when the condition goes from True to False. If that would not be the case we would indeed need a ReqAll.

RequireAny is only necessary if you want to block TurnOffs when there is at least one TurnOn.
    With QuestVarTrigger such a situation won't happen expect if you - have for example =1234 and =2341 and use a 1NumberButton and you will - directly switch between these two correct values.

In all other cases you will have only 1 TurnOn then only one TurnOff and then only 1 TurnOn again.

It will work 100% with a RequireAnyTrap and 90% without and saves one object^^

OffTopic:
    Besides, the Thief world in non-Christian, so no Christmas. Anyone know when The Builder's Day is?
    The Thief time does not even have 12 months, wasn't or? Wasn't there a very old thread about the Orloj clock clock design.
    Last edited by Daraan; 10th Apr 2017 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post

OffTopic:

The Thief time does not even have 12 months, wasn't or? Wasn't there a very old thread about the Orloj clock clock design.
    It was simply an illustrative example as for why you might want multiple solutions. I wanted to head off any commentary like "careful mission design should eliminate this concern," etc..

The puzzle I'm working on now has nothing to do with dates, but would require some very clunky additional hints in order to yield a unique solution.