TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Custom texture with transparent parts

Custom texture with transparent parts

Hi,

I'd like to know if it's possible to create custom textures with some transparent parts.

I want to do something like this in TRLR (the kind of grid in order to represent a door):

I just created this one to test in DromEd:

This is the result...

...but when I get more closer, the polygons behind this brush disappear:

Any idea how to fix that? Do I'll need to create a 3D model?
    Last edited by EnYB0La; 16th Apr 2017 at 02:49.
    DromEd Level Editor Developer Textures Kit: [Latest release] [README] [TTLG thread]

I would make that door as an object, not a brush. I don't think Thief/dromed likes using transparent textures on terrain. You can make the door look better anyway as an object because it is very hard to make something detailed with brushes. The door in the first picture should be very similar to a portcullis except that some of the bars are different sizes.

Hi Enybola, i create transparent windows with opac frames using photoshop.

open the window texture with photoshop, on the right side of photoshop unlock the picture in the layer, there's a "lock" symbol click two times to unlock it, then use a selection tool, since the windows are square use the square tool, select all windows , you´ll have to press shift when you select multiple windows, when you have selected all windows/glasses press ctrl+x , now go to the menu layer and select new layer and press ctrl+v, now change opacity in the option of the right side, usually i use between 50 and 70. then you might want to adjust the windows position in order to match the frames , link both layers and save the file as png.

if you still have difficult feel free to send me the windows you want to be transparent, i have already a couple of windows i did in photoshop, so if you want i can send them to you.

I can also make a window with cracks where you can see trhough it, the glass partially transparent and the frames opac, like i did here:

if you want the windows to have more 3d dimensions you can always use the reskinable rs_cube by Yandros, with that object you can res-skin them to be the windows frames in the sides, or just simply make them only window frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Hi Enybola, i create transparent windows with opac frames using photoshop...
    Could you please send me an example (PSD file) of one of your window textures?

I need to create one from scratch, not from an existing texture downloaded on the web.

Oui bien sur, pas de problème. Sure, no problem, hold a second...

Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9b...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Cardia; 17th Apr 2017 at 12:38.

If you still find difficulty, send me the window you want me to have glasses partially transparent.

Try to change the object to "adoor1" usually with these models you can have the sides opac just in case you want the player to see the sides of the window, or use a reskinable cube (res_cube2s) from Yandros, that model can have up to 4 different textures, ideal to make doors and windows.
    Last edited by Cardia; 17th Apr 2017 at 12:37.

Sure, no problem, hold a second...
    Great. Merci !

This is basically what I want to reproduce:

See the animated one (14MB)

An access frame with a grid which should be a texture. Exactly the same thing. So I need to create the grid in photoshop has a texture.
    DromEd Level Editor Developer Textures Kit: [Latest release] [README] [TTLG thread]

there's some good window frames here that could fit that kind of area in the picture above .

https://www.textures.com/browse/backlit/52193

pick up a texture or more and send them to me and i´ll edited them to have transparent glasses.

Ahhh Tom Raider, j'aime beaucoup ce joeu, mais je ne connais pas ce scenario dans la image dessus.

there's some good window frames here that could fit that kind of area in the picture above.
    What I do not understand is that, in your window textures, you have a main frame with transparent parts, exactly the same thing I have in my first attempt in my main post.

I import your texture in my FM, I apply it to a fill solid brush, and then I can't see the transparent parts...

What I'm doing wrong?

1. In your FM, are you using 3D models or DromEd brushes with a window texture?
    2. Do I need to apply a global Renderer property to my custom texture in DromEd?
    3. How do I have to save my custom texture in Photoshop? Standard image or web optimized image?

Brushes brushes block the rendering as seen in your first post.
    Only exception if you use water brushes.

With a material render_pass it is also possible to render a sky behind transparent parts on a (solid)brush texture.

Use water brushes or objects.

So, basically, what I'm seeing here is that Cardia used a 3D model called adoor1 and applied is window texture on it? Is that why it is possible to see brushes behind it?

Enybola, you can't use those png texture for brushes except like Daaran said for water brushes. I use those textures in objects. its much better, it allows you to have more family textures for terrain. Dromed has some reskinable secret doors, i use "adoor1" to use at least 1 texture, but if you want to add more than one texture i recommend you to use the "res_cube2s" obj by Yandros, here:

http://www.wearytaffer.com/

once you apply the texture you have to set the object transparency to 1.00 in order to see certain object through the windows., go to object properties: add-render-transparency, and set the values to 1.00

if you have any doubts how to reskin a reskinable object in dromed let me know, also if you want i can post here several ways to do types of windows in dromed.

bon, et maintenant je vais dîner quelque chose, peut-être une quiche lorraine...

Enybola, you can't use those png texture for brushes except like Daaran said for water brushes. I use those textures in objects...
    In my case, can I create a 3D model which has a centered part accessible by player, who can walk through, applying my "semi-transparent" TR4 grid texture to the blue area?

Last edited by EnYB0La; 17th Apr 2017 at 16:20.

Since i don't know how to create objects (not yet), i do it all manually in dromed , once again with Yandros "res_cube2s" obj, i can have a entrance door, where players can jump/enter through the missing glasses in these double rusty metal doors:

the only thing you need is to adjust the object physic dimensions in dromed.

Each side can be a object with he respective grid texture, then each one you can offset the physical blocking boundary invisible to player so it appears that they can only pass through door. Making the top block can be done with another object but may not be noticed if player will never be that tall.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I would make that door as an object, not a brush. I don't think Thief/dromed likes using transparent textures on terrain. You can make the door look better anyway as an object because it is very hard to make something detailed with brushes. The door in the first picture should be very similar to a portcullis except that some of the bars are different sizes.

The problem with using transparent textures with the image of the bars on them is that the bars won't have any depth. The will appear to be paper thin in 2D whereas a real object with bars like a portcullis or a fence has depth.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post

The problem with using transparent textures with the image of the bars on them is that the bars won't have any depth. The will appear to be paper thin in 2D whereas a real object with bars like a portcullis or a fence has depth.
    you can do the depths with reskinable objecs, do the inside/outside frames for example with "Res_cube" like i did here:

I guess I should have been more clear. Using transparent textures on a simple flat brush would show no depth. That's why I was suggesting using objects at the beginning of this thread.