TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Dust Particles Not Working.

Dust Particles Not Working.

Usual headaches..got some nice lightshafts and would like the proverbial dust particles but mine stubbornly refuse to work, here's what I have done:---
    I created a new child under SFX/GasFX/SmokePuff and named it Dust.
    Edited it and added
    ParticleLaunch Info
    Launch Type - Bounding Box
    Box Min x-5 y-2 x-2
    Box Max x 5 y 2 z 2
    Velocity Min z-0.1
    Min Time 2.0
    Max Time 5.0

Added
    Particles
    Active - checked
    Renderer Type - Single Colored Disk
    Particle Animation - Launched Continually
    Particle Fade Group - Motion immobile
    Number of Particles - 100
    Size of Particles - 0.03
    Gravity Vector - Z-0.01
    Color (Palettized) - 7
    2nd Color - 15
    Alpha - 128
    Fixed Group Radius - 0.50
    Pulse Magnitude - 0.10
    Pulse Cycle - 1000
    Fade Time - 2.00
    Launch Period - 0.03
    Group Scale Velocity - 1.25
    Always Simulate Slow - Checked
    Always Simulate Group - Checked

Added
    Tweq/Delete State none, none, 0, 0 and Shape/Scale 1.0, 1.0, 0.75

I copied the settings from ink and dust but when I create it and go in game there are no dusty bits...
    What have I done wrong...I have stared at the screen for so long that my eyeballs have pushed my glasses off my nose twice.

At first glance, I noticed that you didn't specify a Velocity Max or x & y values under Velocity Min under ParticleLaunch Info. I'm guessing that is just omitted in error in your post.

There were none in the particle launch info that I copied from dust and ink and I checked it twice just to make sure.

I tried to recreate it with your info and have no problem, but what I realized is that with Color (Palettized) - 7(grey) and the alpha value the particles are very hard to notice depending on the background.

Beside that the other two ideas that come to my mind are that

The object still gets destroyed. The Tweq settings are copied to the concrete object if you created it while delete state was still on ON your concrete object would still have it and gets deleted. Same would apply to the particle property.
    The particle effect gets turned off by something else.

You could add NVScript on your object and check if you find something, like ScriptEnd - but tab out while beeing in GameMode, ScriptEnd will also be received when going back to the Editor.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Do you try to set it on the water? It has a receptron (water stim) to destroy itself that inherits from SmokePuff.

Now that I think of it, isn't the smoke puff normally attached to the combat bot? If so then maybe your object is falling through the floor... or am I thinking wrong?

Tried doing it under a FireFx instead and I just cannot get it to work..so I will have to do without falling dust I'm afraid...nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhook View Post
    There were none in the particle launch info that I copied from dust and ink and I checked it twice just to make sure.
    "0" is not the same as there being no value.

Here's a file I made where I copied the values you posted (using 0 for the other velocity numbers).
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/02wadt...dustFXtest.zip

It works fine.

I copied everything from your settings and it still refuses to work...it works very nicely when I go in game with your demo but in my level this will not work, if I hadn't had my hair cut I would have pulled it all out by now and look like a billiard ball.

Load NVScripts and put the nvspy script on the sfx object. You might find out what's going on.
    Or type
    set game_mode_backup 0
    go in game mode (and back), make a screenshot of the sfx settings of this object and post it.
    Last edited by Unna Oertdottir; 18th Apr 2017 at 06:00.

Here is a screen of the particles box.

Te Particle Launch Info Box.

The Properties Box.

Dromed with it hilighted in the 3d window.

And finally an ingame shot that was taken after these other windows have been closed.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    The first value under DeleteState should be set to None on the archetype. It's currently set to On so as soon as you enter game mode the object gets deleted. After you do that, make a new one from the archetype and it should work, or else also uncheck On on the concrete instance's DeleteState.

In the first post the Delete State isn't on.
    If you type
    set game_mode_backup 0
    you can see the sfx object disappearing.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I know, it was the first thing I thought of originally, but he said he was setting it to None on the archetype in the OP. But the one on the concrete is getting copied from there, so it must not be the case.

Bloody hell Yandros...it was as simple as that...I hadn't set it to off on the child. I have done so now and resaved and reset my gamesys, thank you.
    Still this has been a learning curve so it has and I have discovered "snip" which allows you to take screenshots of your desktop all you have to do is type snip into windows search function and there it is!.
    One further question though, I save the gamesys, set the gamesys which both show up in Dromed ok, save the .cow and exit then restart dromed, load my .cow and it loads the map and everythings hunky dory but it still has dark.gam displayed as the gamesys???

Don't set the gamesys yet. Just save it as cow. When the mission is finished, type
    set_gamesys Ravenhook*
    and save the gamesys.
    *or whatever

Okay dokay...thank you.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Right, I never save as anything but a .cow unless I'm packaging it up for testers. Then you don't have to worry about setting the gamesys or saving without setting it and losing your whole hierarchy, etc.