TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: How has Thief influenced your life?

How has Thief influenced your life?

I love the Keeper concept of balance and detachment. Been experimenting more and more with not getting involved in arguments, resisting the temptation of giving my opinion on things in discussions with friends (even on subjects dear to me), and just observing how the arguments and discussions play out. It's very liberating.

How has Thief influenced your everyday life, if at all?

all depending on how i feel i can be most any of the faction's ,from the creative "mechanist",to the firm "hammers",to the layed back "downwinders",cant forget the "pagans" keeping things simple,the "keepers" when you want to be secretive,excluding the "city watch" as they all so dumb

and i never have felt like a merlock yet :P

Lessons I learned from Thief: People aren't a problem if they're unconscious, broken legs can be healed by eating purple fruit, and any obstacle can be overcome with enough crates...

On a more serious note, Thief taught me from a young age that there's always more than one way around things, and there's usually a back door around obstacles if you're willing to look closely enough. It also taught me that things or information that seem insignificant at first may be useful to have or know in the future. Open mindedness is also something that Thief likes to show as important, with the likes of Keeper Orland being punished for not considering the opinions of others.

I tend to notice more subtleties, movements are softer, also likely to get emotional upon hearing ambient noise.

Classical Master 2008
    I usually take people who get in my way out with a well-placed blackjack or gas arrow instead of speaking to them or alerting them in any way. Thanks, Thief!

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    I usually take people who get in my way out with a well-placed blackjack or gas arrow instead of speaking to them or alerting them in any way. Thanks, Thief!
    Same. Except I don't have a blackjack but a good ol' katana.

What the Thief games taught me is that I should become a thief myself! I bought a few cheap lockpicks and a baton from amazon and I'm currently planning on sneaking into the Whitehouse. I just hope the textures look good.
    Last edited by H3H3; 17th Apr 2017 at 06:25.

Quote Originally Posted by H3H3 View Post
    What the Thief games taught me is that I should become a thief myself! I bought a few cheap lockpicks and a baton from amazon and I'm currently planning on sneaking into the Whitehouse. I just hope the textures look good.
    Wasn´t the price for a pair of lockpicks around 4.000 in the Thief universe (see Assassins, lockpick description in the start menu)? Even with this expensive set, Garrett can only pick open a few doors, so I wish you good luck!

Thief taught me to think around the corner by solving numerous riddles and taught me about good loot hiding places - maybe I have to hide my loot in future, you never know. Or I will have to build a mechanist turret (maybe triggered by a pressure plate) for home defense

"Taff" is now the part of my everyday vocabulary.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Thief kind of raised the bar for me for all games. There isn't another game I play now that I don't look for similar traits from the Thief games, such as music, atmosphere, richness of story, stealth possibilities, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Thief kind of raised the bar for me for all games. There isn't another game I play now that I don't look for similar traits from the Thief games, such as music, atmosphere, richness of story, stealth possibilities, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    "Taff" is now the part of my everyday vocabulary.
    These mainly. Also, nothing has influenced my drawing style more than Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by H3H3 View Post
    What the Thief games taught me is that I should become a thief myself! I bought a few cheap lockpicks and a baton from amazon.
    A friend of mine got a lockpicking kit with a practice lock, and it's definitely not as easy as the games make it seem. It's doable, but can take an hour or more to successfully pick a lock

It was a joke, y'know?

I know, the lockpick comments just reminded me of that though

Southquarter.com/fms
    Joke or no, I know several people have mentioned over the years picking up a set of lock picks. It's not to actually go out and rob anyone (I hope), but more to just experiment. I've thought about it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    A friend of mine got a lockpicking kit with a practice lock, and it's definitely not as easy as the games make it seem. It's doable, but can take an hour or more to successfully pick a lock
    It'll get faster and easier once you advance past the basic raking/scrubbing techniques. With practice, you'll learn to listen to the sounds and get a feel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Joke or no, I know several people have mentioned over the years picking up a set of lock picks. It's not to actually go out and rob anyone (I hope), but more to just experiment. I've thought about it too.
    I used to dabble a bit when I was studying IT. I guess it ties into hacker culture somehow. Nothing as fancy as practice locks and professional tools, though.
    Last edited by Starker; 17th Apr 2017 at 17:03.

Thief taught me that I'm completely invisible in pitch darkness as long as I don't move.

One day I am gonna get some lockpicks too, just for the hell of it

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Thief taught me that I'm completely invisible in pitch darkness as long as I don't move.
    And that you can hide in a small patch of darkness in the middle of an otherwise lit room. Under no circumstance will it break anyone's line of sight.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

From the first time that I played Thief, it opened up whole new way to play games. From that time (2001) on, if a game didn't have a playable way to be a thief/rogue...I didn't play that game, period. It really is too bad that no other franchise has come along and made playing a thief such....well, fun! Despite its aforementioned drawbacks.

Thief has definitely influenced my choice of games. I find that I'm more drawn to FP rather than 3rd person characters; FPs seem to be more immersive experiences, imo, whereas 3rd person games remind me of board games (which are fine if that's what you're in the mood for). The only other games I've played that, for me, are even remotely reminiscent of TDP and TMA are Dishonored 1 & 2. They have been the only games that I've played since TMA (including TDS and Thi4f) that have come close to duplicating that special kind of immersion and enjoyment. Of course, it didn't hurt that Stephen Russell voiced Corvo Attano in Dishonored 2, either. But both had that 'special' ambience that's almost indescribable that was prevalent in TDP & TMA. So yeah, Thief definitely influenced my game preferences as well as the way I play those games. (I prefer being more an 'anti-hero' protagonist rather than balls-out bad or evil.)

My cell phone ring tone is the late, great Joffrey Spaulding as the Trickster (Ritual mode from ITMOC). I've had this for years and it always makes me smile when the phone rings.
    Word of caution though, mute that sonna of a gun when you're at a PTA meeting, m'kay?

Cheers Joffrey!

'Night smother light, Black break lamp
    Done with bright, Doom and dance
    Smother tight, Dark and hide
    Foolsies' sight, Stay inside
    Fear the night
    Call the dark
    Call the black
    Bringsie forth, I call it back'
    Last edited by Purgator; 19th Apr 2017 at 05:42.

Spot on, Chris.

Same

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    I tend to notice more subtleties, movements are softer, also likely to get emotional upon hearing ambient noise.
    hahah me too lol and I thought something was wrong with me

It made me want to establish an authoritarian Religion and devote my life to worship and prosecution of people with opinions and feeeeelllliiings...

But seriously the games reminded me that I still have a H.P. Lovecraft collection to read when i reached the lost city mission. And the game's puzzles made me order a 3D puzzle...

So, the thief games did more for my brain than 13 years of school. I didn't even know I'm able to think until recently!!!
    Last edited by Soccorro; 27th Apr 2017 at 05:22.