TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Door On after open, Off at start of close

Door On after open, Off at start of close

Basically what I'm trying to do is have a door that sends an On to ControlDevice links as soon as it finishes opening, but send an Off as soon as it starts to close. The TrigDoorOpen handles the first part of the equation but how would I implement the second or closing part?

I have this setup working as I need with a lever because the lever is being used to send the Off, but I'd rather have the player frob the door instead.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Can you add a FrobProxy link from the door to the lever? Then the lever will need to be CD-linked back to the door if it isn't already/

The lever is CD linked to the door, but I'll try that this evening. Thanks Russ!

Stick either Spy or NVSpy on the door. Then look at what messages are sent when the door is opened and closed. IIRC there are messages DoorClose, DoorOpening, DoorOpen, and DoorClosing. You can use them with an NVRelayTrap to do what you want. Be careful to take care of the case where something stops the door from fully opening or closing.

I set the FrobProxy link from the door to the lever and it works perfectly except I had to eliminate the NVRelay delay.

I guess there aren't too many players in TEG so I'll explain what I'm doing. It bothered me that the turbines in Thief seem to run on nothing, so I designed one that is basically a generator powered by a new water wheel. The water wheel is in the water so naturally it turns constantly, and the 'door' is actually a clutch that moves to the flywheel on the generator. As soon as the clutch comes into contact with the flywheel the generator turns on just like the turbines. When the clutch is pulled away from the flywheel the turbine stops immediately. It would be nice if Thief had a physical spool up and spool down of objects.

Thanks Larry. In this case neither the player nor any objects will be able to get into the path of the doors. I say doors because there are two, the clutch and the clutch lever/fork. I guess I could have double jointed the clutch but I needed it to rotate with the Rotate Tweq and Translate into position.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    By the way I think there is no schema for a turbine turning off/winding down, so I made one and wrote a schema for it in, if memory serves, Cell 6. If you're interested in that I'll get the WAV and SCH files to you.

Thanks Russ. I might check yours out, but I made a schema with the reverse of the ramp up wav for Rust Belt Prison, then I found a ramp up, loop and ramp down set in Thief Gold. Turbin1s is the ramp down, turbinpu is the ramp up, and turbinpu is the loop wav. I used those in LS5 Part 2.

I think there is no schema for a turbine turning off/winding down
    Really?
    MISCSFX.SCH:
    //TURBINE STOP
    schema turbine_st
    archetype DEVICE_MISC
    volume -1000
    turb2st
    env_tag (Event Deactivate) (MachType Turbine)

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Obviously I was mistaken.

But now we have wider choice, right?

In Thief 2 they left out a ramp up wav & schema.

Yes Zontik, now I wish I had audio recordings of a triple expansion engine. Anyone have one lying around?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Aha, it was the ramp up I was thinking of then. And to think I could have just gotten it from TG instead of making my own.

Well the TG has a different set so it's still good to have two different sounding turbines.