TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi! (Excessive euphoria and awkwardness warning)

Hi! (Excessive euphoria and awkwardness warning)

Hi there!

I'm Soccorro, 24 years old turning 25 this year...errrm...from germany (excuse my english blabla you know the drill) and uuughhhh.... Second year nursing student/apprentice and I'm new to ttlg! Nice to meet you all!

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this kind of thread but I was unable to find the "new members introduce themselves" thread)

So, I just finished T1+2 recently and OH MY GOD! Why did I not do that earlier!!!??? I was so impressed with how huge the levels are and all the possibilities and ways to finish a mission without a voice telling me what to do or the levels being a rollercoaster ride with a certain path to follow. I was figuratively blown away by the sheer amounts of thinking required to overcome the obstacles in my way. One of the very few games to actually get my grey matter out of standby mode.

BUT!

It permanently destroyed my ability to enjoy newer games, namely Thi4f, which I find myself unable to finish, as it does not offer all that but instead delivers interactive loading screens with sneaking arena bits inbetween those.

Soooo, now that I have probably made the impression of being one of those annoying greenhorn gamers who think of themselves of super hipster for thinking thief 1+2 are superior to the newer stuff and kind of managed to derail my own introduction thread into an "old vs new" dogfight I'd like to add that I'm really excited to have "nostalgic" talks with you peeps on here!

regards,

Soccorro

Hello Soccorro and welcome. Thing is, you got the wrong forum. While this one is called community chat the thief fans live a separate life in their general discussion board. And that is where you will find nostalgic talk and can geek out over old school vs. new school. But if you ever feel the need to start up an endless political turf war thread or mourn dead celebs - by all means, come back here.

Welcome Scocorro, now its time to play the fan missions from T1, T2 and also thief 3 and TDM, you'll find yourself surprised by the quality that some missions have, impressive i can only say, and who knows you might become a thief fan mission author. Check here for more information:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

oh...

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Hello Soccorro and welcome. Thing is, you got the wrong forum. While this one is called community chat the thief fans live a separate life in their general discussion board. And that is where you will find nostalgic talk and can geek out over old school vs. new school. But if you ever feel the need to start up an endless political turf war thread or mourn dead celebs - by all means, come back here.
    oooops... is there a way to move this?

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Welcome Scocorro, now its time to play the fan missions from T1, T2 and also thief 3 and TDM, you'll find yourself surprised by the quality that some missions have, impressive i can only say, and who knows you might become a thief fan mission author. Check here for more information:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100
    Ooooohhhhh shiny!! Thanks!

You're moved. Welcome.

Welcome Soccorro. Btw I noticed you duplicated this post. There should be an option to delete posts if you are the OP and no one has replied.

It's gone now.

New blood!!

Welcome fellow taffer

Hi!

Hi!

I'm really glad I've found this place! SOOO many amazing fan missions! Some are even better than the original missions!

Welcome brethren!

You're not alone in not being to enjoy some games after playing Thief

Don't worry, I haven't been able to play anything else after playing Thief 1 & 2 either. Welcome to the club.

'Once you Blackjack, you can never go back!'

Spot on, Chris.

You seem to have clear symptoms of Tafferitis, which is very common after finishing T1 and 2, especially if that involved long, intense and/or thought-provoking sessions. In the next few weeks, you'll probably also experience eagerness to participate and understand what the hell are these folks writing in the various forums, anxiety to play as many fan-made missions as possible and an unhealthy enthusiasm for readings, video reviews and similar Thief-related content. That's normal, it means that you're still processing it. Nevertheless, there are third-phase symptoms including, but not limited to, craving for worst-to-best lists, crazy dreams, disliking Thief: Deadly Shadows and nostalgia involving the first games. Beware, because there is no turning back when you reach this phase, since you'll be so addicted to your own memories of the game that you will start to daydream constantly and relate every portion of your reality to the virtual one in order to feed and enhance your increasingly unavoidable, but frustratingly slippery fantasies.

Other than that, Thief is awesome. Welcome!

Oh my god... I actually started playing Thief deadly shadows up until the near end and dropped it.... I'm also showing all the other symptoms! What you've written is 100% spot on! Speaking out of experience, are you?

Don't worry, it will pass in a decade or two.

Seriously though, there are some really great modern games out there. Try Mark of the Ninja, for example.

yep

I know there are. But modern gaming is mostly overshadowed by bad porting, simplistic gameplay and babysitting the player. also QTEs and such. I love taking Thief 4 as an example of how to kill off a franchise. They had a strong base with Thief1+2 and yes even to some extent Thief 3. But they went with linear sneaking arenas, tedious interactive loading sequences with QTE sections, handholding, QUEST MARKERS!!!, a crappy story...etc But sadly that is state of the art right now. If you look at the DOS/early Win era, Master of magic, Dune 2, Quake, Shadow Warrior, Blood, DOOM, aaaand I'm biased.... I really miss the political incorrectness of that era.

I would take the political correctness of Thief 1+2 over the political incorrectness of the Thief reboot any day. That brothel scene alone...

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    I would take the political correctness of Thief 1+2 over the political incorrectness of the Thief reboot any day.
    By the Builder!!!

Do not object my opinion, heathen!!!

Or I shall smite thine arse!!!

Bring it on, taffer!

You've (voice cracks up) You've gone too far this time you camel mannered, tunic wearing molly cuddles! An arrow in the throat oughta shut you up!!!

Now contrast this to Thief reboot's cockrings and F-bombs and tell me which one you prefer.

Welcome to the gang Soccorro, you seem to be getting the hang of things quite nicely, so I'll just quietly relieve you of your purse & be on my merry

May I also suggest having a look at The Dark Mod sometime

*waits...* Somebody stole my purse! Just wait until ...oh whatever...

And I have tried TDM. The protagonist's name not being Garrett put me off. The gameplay and everything is nice but it is not him... :-/