TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Point

Moderator and Priest

Phoenix Point

This needs to happen, people. It's modern XCOM by Julian Gollop, set in a grungy post-apocalyptic setting with weirdo hybrid monsters mutated by a hell virus. There's so much here to love, every single person here should consider dropping down at least $100 each to make this come to pass.

So get to Figgin'.

Thing What Kicks
    Yup, already backed.
    Gollop's been a constant in my gaming life since I bought Rebel Star for 1.99 on the Speccy just over 30 years ago

Moderator and Priest
    It's funny. I've never played one of Gollop's games before. I just know him by reputation through Firaxis' XCOMs.

From the looks of things, I'd say this game is as good as any to get into his stuff with.

Thing What Kicks
    Rather ashamedly, I've got Chaos Reborn in my back catalogue, but haven't played it.
    But the original was stunningly good, and had one of the best deception game mechanics ever. I understand that Reborn keeps that mechanic, but the focus on multiplayer scares me off. I'm not a great fan of competitive online multiplayer these days.

I haven't played the finished Chaos Reborn yet either, but I think you can play against the computer as well? Also, when I last played the unfinished versions, the player community was really nice. Very mature and laid back.

Renz, you can grab X-COM from GOG or Steam for only a couple of bucks during a sale and use OpenXcom to play it with modern conveniences.

Oh, and absolutely backed the new one. From the looks of it, there's a good chance it will be a modern successor of X-COM worthy of the legacy.

Moderator and Priest
    The only thing keeping me away from the original XCOMs is that they seem to have a lot of tedious busywork to them compared to the more streamlined recent entries. It's hard jumping into some of those oldschool DOS games when you don't have nostalgia to fall back on.

That's not to say I won't ever play it, but I'm in no rush to at the moment. Guess I could split the difference, and try Xenonauts.

Sure, there's more busywork, but it's not that much more and OpenXcom even cuts back some of it.

John Carpenter's The X-COM-ish Thing?

Moderator and Priest
    Yup. And that's why you should love it.

And okay, I'll give oldschool XCOM a go when it pops up on sale. You all talked me into it.

Btw, if you backed Chaos Reborn, you can get a 5$ discount on any tier and if you backed something on Fig, you can get another 5$ discount for tiers above 25$.

I've played a bit of Chaos Reborn. I REALLY tried to like it, but the battles are a little too random for my tastes. One attempt I'd get completely slaughtered, and then the next I'd kick ass. All comes down to what cards you get given at the start, hence the randomness.

And backed this game as soon as I got the email from Fig about it. COME ON, it's X-COM for all intents and purposes, and it's got Julian on board. Count me in.

Moderator and Priest
    I just checked it out again. When I first posted the link, it was sitting at around $150k. Now it's doubled its amount.

Looks like this one is gonna meet its goal and then some.

Shame there's no stretch goals. They better change that.

The game does look awesome, no doubt, but Snapshot Games really need to get themselves better digs - candle light and portable gas lamps, wot?

It's Bulgaria -- these are the better digs. :P

verbose douchebag
    Backed pretty much as soon as the Fig campaign was open.

If it's as good as I'm hoping, I may buy extra copies just on principle.

Stretch goals!

$650,000: Drivable Vehicles In Tactical Battles
    Deploy vehicles to tactical battles for carrying troops and providing heavy weapons support. They can also be used for retrieving equipment and materials in raid missions, and for safe evacuation of soldiers or civilians in danger. There will be multiple construction options and a variety of weapons turrets available.

$850,000: Floating Phoenix Base
    A floating fortress which can travel by sea and conduct air operations inland from coastal areas. Such bases will be exposed to danger from seaborn mutants generating some tense defensive missions, but the additional strategic flexibility of such a base will greatly help in mid to late game. It will also allow the player to discover some of the most well hidden secrets of the alien agenda, deep inside the mist.
    Also, found an interesting tidbit in one of the articles:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...e-is-no-plan-b

Appropriately enough, just as Firaxis' XCOM was clearly inspired by Gollop's work on the original game, Gollop has found inspiration in Firaxis' efforts. Not only will Phoenix Point incorporate some of the elements that worked well in Firaxis' XCOM revamps, but Gollop cited one of the developer's older games--Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri--as an influence for some of the gameplay elements that will separate Phoenix Point from Firaxis' own XCOM successors.

"It probably deviates most [from Firaxis' XCOM games] on the strategic level of the game," Gollop said. "Phoenix Point is a lot more 4X-y, sort of open-world-y universe where you have different factions and groups, with their own objectives and agendas, technology, their own diplomatic relations, and things will happen in this world regardless of whether the player intervenes or not. It's a much more dynamics, systems-AI-driven world... In some ways, it's actually developed and evolved from ideas we built into XCOM Apocalypse back in 1997.

In sort of related news, it turns out that the original X-COM was supposed to have been cancelled, but the devs kept working on it in secret anyway.

Apparently the company (Micropose) were at the time more interested in making something along the lines of Civilization since Sid Meir had released that around that time period. Luckily for us, those lower down the chain chose to disregard those orders and never told the coders. The Civilization influence is also the reason why the game had many of the features that it did (Earth setting, the infopedia, reseaching of technologies etc etc. Apparently the devs at first had been wanting to make a sequel to their earlier game "Laser Squad" but had received recommendations (prior to the cancellation order) to have all those things from Civ + have it be set within an alien invasion.

Source

That sounds like an amazing story! Thanks for the pointer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    And okay, I'll give oldschool XCOM a go when it pops up on sale. You all talked me into it.
    PSA: it's on sale on GOG 75% off
    https://www.gog.com/game/xcom_ufo_defense
    https://www.gog.com/game/xcom_terror_from_the_deep
    Third one is worth considering as well, but the rest are garbage.
    https://www.gog.com/game/xcom_apocalypse

In some ways, it's actually developed and evolved from ideas we built into XCOM Apocalypse back in 1997.
    Freaking sold. I need this game in my life.

verbose douchebag
    I've backed it to the tune of €75 which means I get to add a name to solider generation pool.

There's an 8min boss fight video with Gollops commentary:

Err, okay. I have to say this. This game is a complete ripoff of Firaxis' XCOM. Everything is the same, style, mechanics, abilities, classes, grenade/rocket indicators, camera work, hell, even the cover system and related icons. Everything is literally copied from XCOM.

Moderator and Priest
    I ain't care none. XCOM is good. More XCOM is great. XCOM with crab monsters is grand.

Plus, it's not exactly the same. There are a few extra features in there I haven't seen previously in XCOM. Plus, the grand strategy portion of the game promises to be considerably more indepth than what we had in it's...ahem...inspiration.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I cancelled my pledge for the Fig.co campaign for this. I heard anecdotes of Snapshot Games being shitty with rewards fulfilment for Chaos Reborn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    Err, okay. I have to say this. This game is a complete ripoff of Firaxis' XCOM. Everything is the same, style, mechanics, abilities, classes, grenade/rocket indicators, camera work, hell, even the cover system and related icons. Everything is literally copied from XCOM.
    1. Firaxis' XCOM is a "rip off" of Gollop's own cancelled X-COM spiritual successor Dreamland Chronicles and by-proxy, Valkyria Chronicles.
    2. Pre-alpha footage, the likes of place holder art is likely.
    3. Games iteratively building off one-another is common place, anyone with half a brain know this. Eg Far Cry 3's character progression mechanics and sandbox design were HEAVILY influenced by Read Dead Redemption.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 6th Jun 2017 at 18:07.