TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What do you think of Thiaf?

What do you think of Thiaf?

So, what's your opinion on the Thief reboot?

Were you satisfied? Disappointed?

What do you think of the story/game mechanics?

I myself really disliked the annoying "sidekick" and limiting mechanics like ledges that can be mantled being marked by white paint, every movement besides running being scripted, rope arrows only being usable on designated spots, and qte loading screens. also the game is literally just a collection of sneaking arenas interrupted by disguised loading screens. Also the lack of hammerites and pagans was very disappointing just like the disappearance of the word taffer.

Most people here don't like it or just straight up hate it. I can't speak for the rest, though.

Sort the forum like this to quickly find lots of opinions, polls, reviews, etc.

I thought it smells like old meat.

Dahenjo: I thought it smells like old meat.
    No, It didn't smell like old meat to me... but "you can smell the river from here..."

That and "I'm Slipping" just says it all!

I alternate between hating it with the fire of a thousand suns and just finding it depressing. I think it tried far too much to cater to a wide audience, and all the references to the proper trilogy just came off as patronizing to me. As much as I love the series, I think it ended perfectly and needed nothing more after (apart from FMs of course). TDM and Dishonored carry the Thief legacy perfectly well, and Thiaf just never should have happened. Perhaps I'll play it again one day and see if my outrage is really justified, but it will be a long time before I'd seriously consider it.

Don't know where to start... it neither was true to the Thief legacy, nor was it very good as its own game. Sort of really, really mediocre. And somewhat french (no offense). I kind of gave up hope on many of nowadays games, they're just made for a target audience i no longer belong to. At least most of them, true classics like GTA, or the Fallout games excluded. But, man... those "plays itself" games like Assassins Creed... i have no idea how someone can perceive that as being "fun".

I can't say that I hated Thi4f, more like just despised it for not being what it should have been. Sure, it had the ambience reminiscent of the old Thief games, but that was about it, imo. And that's all I really liked about it. Then again, I got seriously frustrated after the first 20 minutes of awkward gameplay and just uninstalled the travesty. I doubt I'll ever go back and try it again; once was enough. Especially after playing Dishonored 1 and 2; now THOSE games were what Thi4f should have been!!!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Dia - I'm the last one on the planet to make any excuses for Teef, but 20 minutes? Pretty tough to make any kind of fair assessment in that short period of time. Are you sure you weren't just letting the forums here affect your opinion?

Part of the reason I say that is because the game did have some decent parts to it. Overall as a game (Thief or otherwise), it wasn't good, and had tons of faults. But there's some stuff worth checking out.

The rope arrow only on specific wooden beams and white paint on mantleable ledges were really sad though. I'm at the brothel level but i cannot bring myself to go on. Would you say its worth going on? I eman you already mentioned taht it isnt good but would you say that it should at least be finished once by thief fans?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'd say Chapters 3-6 are the highpoint of the game. The final chapters, 7 and 8, are pretty disappointing. The brothel is chapter 3. Finish that one, if you're still not feeling it at the end of it, yeah, give up on it.

@Dia, did you even play past the tutorial mission? (the one with Erin)

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I can't say that I hated Thi4f, more like just despised it for not being what it should have been. Sure, it had the ambience reminiscent of the old Thief games, but that was about it, imo. And that's all I really liked about it. Then again, I got seriously frustrated after the first 20 minutes of awkward gameplay and just uninstalled the travesty. I doubt I'll ever go back and try it again; once was enough. Especially after playing Dishonored 1 and 2; now THOSE games were what Thi4f should have been!!!
    You're probably not like me then when it comes to games, but I dislike most games for the first 20 minutes at least. Learning the controls, getting used to the characters, and finding out what the story is all about often takes a while. I admit that I too have given up on some games after half an hour or so, but there are many games that I've disliked at first that have ended up as my favourites.

Actually, I didn't really even care about TDP at first. Sure, Bafford's Manor was great and I had already played it to death as it was on some demo CD, but then came the Cragscleft and Bonehoard missions, and I found them so disappointing and boring that I quit the game for weeks. Luckily I decided to give it another go.

Unfortunately I can't say that the new Thief magically turns into a great game after the tutorial mission, but it surely does get better. I still think that it's a pretty good game on its own - it's just not very "Thiefy", and that is its biggest flaw in my opinion. The stealth gameplay is fun and I'm happy that the enemies seem to provide more of a challenge than in the originals.

I thought the best parts were the side missions, actually. Stuff like following the blatant Benny expy around.

Okay, I was exaggerating, sorry; it was more like 30 minutes. Didn't do the tutorial (usually never do tutorials) and I can usually tell within 30 minutes whether or not I like a game enough to continue trying to play it. If I can't become immersed in a game in the first 30 minutes, then I know it's just going to be an uphill battle for me so why bother? The gameplay was so awkward, imo, that I became WAY too frustrated almost immediately. And that's not how I want to feel while playing any game. I know this will sound petty, but NuGarrett's voice was also SUCH a turn-off that it only added to my growing dislike of the game. I honestly felt no interest in NuGarrett's character or his plight.

Yes, Brethren, it's totally possible that I didn't start the game with the most objective attitude and it sure didn't help that I'd just played Dishonored 1 and 2 and enjoyed, I mean REALLY enjoyed the hell out of both games. To be fair, I did start Thi4f hoping (and I mean really hoping) that I'd like it. I was totally willing to give it a try. I think there are lots of people who can tell within 20 to 30 minutes whether or not they like a game; I don't believe in wasting an hour or more trying to play a game that makes me feel negative almost immediately and does nothing to alleviate that feeling after 30 minutes. For me, it's like watching a preview of a soon-to-be-released movie; either the preview generates enough interest to make me feel as though I want to see the movie or it doesn't. It doesn't take watching that preview 5 or 6 times to determine whether or not I care to see it.

Here's a better example: It took me about 5 minutes of trying to get into playing Dying Light to know that was a game I wanted to play through, in spite of the fact that I got killed like 10 times in those 5 minutes (and even more surprising considering the fact that I totally hate zombies). That was a feeling of frustration that made me more determined to play the game, wherein the frustration I felt in Thi4f at getting stuck for 5 minutes between obstacles on a catwalk-like (way too linear for my tastes) path generated a give-me-a-break-this-shouldn't-be-so-damned difficult reaction and a wtf reaction every five minutes after that. I find no enjoyment in prolonging the kind of frustration that generates such intense negativity. Either I become immersed within 20 to 30 minutes or I don't, either a spark of interest is generated within the first 20-30 minutes or it isn't, either I feel as though I can get used to the awkwardness of the gameplay or I don't; imo, it shouldn't take me hours to know whether or not I'm going to enjoy the game. I don't want to waste time playing a game just to be able to say I've played it, either.

Each to their own, live and let live, etc., and so on and so forth.

The following rant is purely emotional and subjective:

So I just made it into Chapter 6... I HATE IT! The main villain in this game is a wooden beam that is following you around, blocking the narrow, interactive loading screens! They even tried to rip off the cradle and failed!!! I just began shooting arrows into everybody's heads, just to finish this pile of nyyeeaah faster! Oh my god I feel so hateful and ripped off right now! What were they thinking!? "Huehuehue! This gonna gettin' us money!" And then the reviews on steam!!! "...it's so much fun", "... great investment"... I'm 100% positive that those people were paid to write that to save Thiaf's reputation post mortem!

I hate you Thiaf!

Rest in peepee!

Quote Originally Posted by Soccorro View Post
    And then the reviews on steam!!! "...it's so much fun", "... great investment"... I'm 100% positive that those people were paid to write that to save Thiaf's reputation post mortem!
    As sad as it is, lots of young people (especially young women) loved it. To my horror, even my one of my rl friends to whom I had talked about Thief series for 4 years bought the game and liked it.

I never played the game myself, nor did I buy it. I have tried to watch let's play series of Thiaf few times, but I have never got past more than about the first 5 videos. It just doesn't look interesting, and I have no desire to know what happens next. And I'm one of those people who watch let's play videos like they were TV-series.

Besides, aren't the symbols indicating alertness above enemies' heads a default when you launch the game for the first time? Of course you can disable them, but... did they think that an average player has so low social skills that he/she doesn't know whether a sword-swinging and shouting guard is angry or not? That's pretty insulting, imho.

Yes it is default, just like the questmarkers. What's infuriating though is the fact, the story is kind of all over the place and Garrett is a cheesy world saving superhero with superhuman abilities. I mean they even asked the community about how to do it and still did the complete opposite of what was asked for. It feels like being on rails. When i entered chapter 5 I thought we are headed to average-town but then the game took a sharp turn to feces-intercourse-valley... Sorry, I just cannot believe how an amazing franchise has been mercilessly murdered. At least we have FMs and their great respective authors to *steps on soapbox* carry the torch of quality and tradition to brighten our gaming future!

But why would young women love it? There are scenes with women of questionable profession doing no-no-things...

It seems to me that even the developers weren't sure whether they were supposed to do a sequel or a reboot, and as the deadline crept closer, they just merged it all together and called it done. Personally, I think that naming the main character Garrett was the worst of their decisions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccorro View Post
    But why would young women love it? There are scenes with women of questionable profession doing no-no-things...
    Because Gary is hot and gothy, that's why.

oooh! I see! Its the leather, isn't it?

Possibly. Also, hood brings out the best features of any man.

Personally I like Garrett up until Thief 3 better. Less leather. also old garrett is much more handsome than the modern one and has a much more attractive personality

Interesting. I actually was about to write a destroying comment on Thiaf, but, happened to just watch a Let's Play video from one of its mission, and, after watching that, was tempted to install, and fire it up once again. Actually, the game world doesn't look half bad, and, it's been a while since i last played it. I just remember it becoming really, really mediocre, with much random loot in the city hub houses you break in, but, frankly, they didn't do the worst job designing the world, for sure. Maybe should just give it a second chance.

The game got 3 chances so far. I just uninstalled it for the third time today. It is so badly designed and even without the comparison to its predecessors a terrible game itself.

You're probably right. Not sure if it REALLY is worth the 25 GB download on my 6 MB line.

I doubt it. I'm kind of relieved to hear Thive (Thief 5...yeah very creative i know ) was nothing but rumours