TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Need empty Hand model for custom weapon script

Need empty Hand model for custom weapon script

Nearly finished a script which lets you choose your own weapon without needing separate limp models for each weapon.

Want to club your enemies with a stool, or a zombie arm? Go have some fun
    Also you could use it to add a shield to your arm or whatever.

Well what's left is a Player Weapon Arm Model with no weapon.
    I guess take the standard one remove the weapon would do it. I just have no clue about the mesh stuff.

There is already an empty hand mesh at the Object Repository.

DL

You talk about some fantastic things. Looks like I missed something.
    Will this work flawlessly? I would like to see the video. And what about the settings? Will it be easy as well as it sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    There is already an empty hand mesh at the Object Repository.
    Great, only found one from DedEx and that one was not satisfying, I will check this out. And try to make a video.
    EDIT: Well, helpful but yahh I'm not happy.
    The hand has some strange ...extensions at the front??? And when using is as sword the arm gets strangely twisted during the sideway motion.

You talk about some fantastic things. Looks like I missed something.
    Will this work flawlessly? I would like to see the video. And what about the settings? Will it be easy as well as it sounds?
    It will work flawless, as it will be a real attachment - it will follow the camera and arm movements.*

The Settings are well a) the model/object b) 2 vectors defining rotation, position changes.
    I wouldn't say complicated but it needs fine tuning as it depends much on 'How was the model created' (base orientations) and 'how do you want to use it' as for the stool example you probably want the player to grab a leg.
    set game_mode_backup 0 will be your friend here
    Last edited by Daraan; 10th May 2017 at 18:42.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    This sounds fascinating! Looking forward to seeing a demo when you get there.

Yeah, this sounds very interesting. But how do you deal with the collisions? In the normal weapon models there is a VHOT or something, which is reponsible for colliding with objects, IIRC. With custom weapons of different sizes, are you still going to use it, or the held object will collide with whatever it hits during the swing, using its own physics model?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    Yeah, this sounds very interesting. But how do you deal with the collisions? In the normal weapon models there is a VHOT or something, which is reponsible for colliding with objects, IIRC. With custom weapons of different sizes, are you still going to use it, or the held object will collide with whatever it hits during the swing, using its own physics model?
    Im at the moment not sure how the collision is calculated.
    I know that the arm has a limb point at the end of the weapon. I also know that the weapon is physically present but not rendered, there is a creature attachment between these two.
    One of the two is it but not sure which.

There will be two different ways of attaching, first just a dummy model, plain simple. The second attaching a real object. If you want particle effects or such stuff.
    In my testing with a stool I got the expected wood sound vs. Terrain as well. Haven't tried it vs Ais yet let's see how it feels.

While basically the most is done you need to wait until Sunday when I'm home again, so also no video

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    Im at the moment not sure how the collision is calculated.
    Ok I'm 98% sure that for Terrain collision the limb point is used, but vs AI I'm not convinced.

Why? The emptyhand is a very short arm and you need to stay very close to a Terrain surface to land a successful hit BUT the range vs AI seams not small at all (actually it feels bit to long).

I promised you guys a video, well it's a gif, don't have youtube or sth.
    It was recorded with a FOV of 110 (didn't find out how to use arm offset)

So again I would like to ask if someone could make a new player arm.

Jasons is definitly usefull but yahh there could be a better base. Thanks in advance.

The zombie leg should bend in the knee and ankle upon an impact! lol

Interesting! I like this script

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    So again I would like to ask if someone could make a new player arm.[/B]
    Jasons is definitly usefull but yahh there could be a better base. Thanks in advance.
    Empty hand: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6X...ew?usp=sharing
    But this model replaces the hand with blackjack. Change the name.

Let me know if there are problems with this.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    The zombie leg should bend in the knee and ankle upon an impact! lol
    never heard of rigor mortis?