TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief 5 In Development

Thief 5 In Development

First of all, I apologize for being such a Thief fanboy. I'm sure I get on people's nerves when I geek out about it, but hey, you're on a Thief forum, what did you expect?

I still cling to the hope that my favorite game franchise will never die, and thanks to the DromEd community I don't think it ever will. Still, I look for news updates relating to the Thief universe on an almost daily basis (e.g. "has Square Enix sold the rights?""has Eidos folded?""are any third parties making spiritual successors?", that type of thing.)

Until today I hadn't seen anything pertaining to a Thief 5, but I've remained hopeful for several reasons, including the fact that Eidos Montreal still uses Thief images on it's main website and company promotional materials such as banners, which now feature Lara Croft, Adam Jensen, and Garrett.

Anyway, this isn't much, but at least it's something.

So, according to the company developing the Thief adaptation, there will be a Thief game released to coincide with the film. Of course that doesn't mean either one will enter production, but again I'm just happy to see a shred of information about it.

In related news, Square Enix has just severed ties with IO Interactive (Hitman) to "focus our resources and energies on key franchises and studios." Granted, that means key franchises of Square Enix as a whole, not necessarily Eidos.

Ok, geek out finished. I'm ready for your "Thief is dead, get a life Phantom." *fire and pitchforks*

Southquarter.com/fms
    Interesting. I thought I had heard that the film by Straight Up was going to mirror the events of Thief 2014, so something may have changed somewhere.

Your thread title is a bit misleading though - a blurb on Straight Up's website does not equate to "Thief 5 is in production." You said yourself it might not even be the case yet. Not to mention their info is wrong, there have only been three (not four) sequels, and one of those was actually more of a reboot.

I'm using film terms there. Development refers to something being hashed out on paper or put into motion, production would be if it was into the principal photography phase. I would assume no assets for the game have been made, probably only planning and storyboarding at this point.

It would be nice if Eidos would just let the poor franchise die rather than tarnish its name further. A Thief 5 might improve upon Thief 4, but that's a pretty low bar to pass and I'm not overly optimistic given Eidos and Square Enix's business practices. I don't see any way that a Thief movie could be good either. I don't think there's ever been a video game movie that has been thought of as more than "mediocre", and a Thief movie probably won't even be more than "bad".

there was no thief 4 so no thief 5

the reboot of thief was made as a alt universe ,nothing to do with story line by looking glass/first 3 thief games

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    It would be nice if Eidos would just let the poor franchise die rather than tarnish its name further.
    This.

Why can't they let it rest?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Ok, geek out finished. I'm ready for your "Thief is dead, get a life Phantom." *fire and pitchforks*
    Why would anyone react like that? Of course hints of a new Thief-game is worthy of a thread.

Not sure what to think of this info though. Is it written by someone with actual inside-knowledge, or by someone just trying to hype up an IP they have the rights to make a movie out of? And if there's a new game to tie in with the movie it won't necessarily be another AAA-production, it might just end up being a cheap mobile tie-in. Either way, as I said last time this movie adaptation was brought up, the people behind it don't inspire much confidence. Check out the writing credits for Adam Mason and Simon Boyes.

I wonder where's any logic in that. Last Hitman was hugely successful, but the studio is being sold, and next Thief is in the works, even though the reboot was a flop. Great job SE.

It should be pointed out that Square never expressed dissatisfaction with Thief's commercial success, quite the opposite.

I see there's a possibility there could be Thief 5 to go alongside the Thief film.

I see there's a possibility there could be Thief 5 to go alongside the Thief film.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/12/thief-...mpany-6632761/

What's your Thoughts on this?

I can't see this going well....

Edit... I didn't see this thread, my bad.
    Last edited by SirLord Best; 12th May 2017 at 14:14.

If it's from the same peeps who made Thief 4, no thanks.

Thief 5 - The Metal Age strikes back?

To ne honest, I am sceptical about the film and the game sequel aswell.
    Maybe the game developers learned from Thief 4 and it's mistakes. Hope dies last.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Why would anyone react like that? Of course hints of a new Thief-game is worthy of a thread.
    I brought it up about a year ago and got scalded for it! I personally think any Thief is better than no Thief. If someone made a Thief game and it was regarded as the worst game of all time, it wouldn't affect my opinion of the Looking Glass titles. But not everyone feels that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Increasing View Post
    It should be pointed out that Square never expressed dissatisfaction with Thief's commercial success, quite the opposite.
    I agree. It may have received lukewarm critical response, but most references appear to show it turned a solid profit for SE. It definitely wasn't a blockbuster though.

Quote Originally Posted by SirLord Best View Post
    What's your Thoughts on this?

I can't see this going well....
    I sent the news to Polygon yesterday when I found it, and it immediately got posted and shared over several news outlets. Game Informer actually reached out to Square Enix and their response was "we do not have anything to announce at this time". So perhaps that is better than a resounding "No."

Eh, I'll take it.

Thief 1 and 2 are like Alien and Aliens-great stuff and what comes afterwards is pure garbage!

Like good works of fanfiction-the dromed masters are the true keepers of the flame!

Thief Deadly Shadows wasn't pure garbage IMO. Rather like Aliens. A decent, but controversially adopted sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    Thief Deadly Shadows wasn't pure garbage IMO. Rather like Aliens. A decent, but controversially adopted sequel.
    I agree about this too. Enjoyed the 3rd one so much!

This article says the movie "will be set in the game’s dark fantasy world where a master thief tries to restore freedom, which has been denied by a magic-wielding tyrant". Good old trickster?

no redface, thats just the plot of thi4f

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Robot View Post
    Thief 5 - The Metal Age strikes back?
    I do have a funny feeling SE will call it Thief 2

In the moments when it let go of your hand, dropped the plot, and just let you roam around thieving Thief 2014 was (for my money) a better game than Deadly Shadows. A refinement on 2014 has the potential to be a good game, despite the other shortcomings of Thi4f.
    Buuuut movie tie-ins are usually trash, so it's got that going against it.

One thing that has always bothered me is that people get praised for making an average FM but people complain about Thief DS and Thief 4 that took substantially more effort to make. I found both to have shortcomings but I enjoyed playing both. I don't expect anything to be s continuation of old versions of already worn story lines.

FMs typically don't cost 59.99$ when they are released.

The assets and some of the scenes for Thief 4 looked good and were good inspiration for mapping (not designed so well, but aesthetically good). So it was good for the screenshots. If they want to make more good looking levels in a new game, I'm happy grabbing the screenshots again.

The crazy thing they could do is be inspired by Dishonored 2 and give it actually good gameplay. The name doesn't really mean anything anymore, so they're free to just make a good any-kind-of game, and I could enjoy that without worrying about legacy or whatnot.

Eidos isn't Arkane though.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I wonder where's any logic in that. Last Hitman was hugely successful, but the studio is being sold, and next Thief is in the works, even though the reboot was a flop. Great job SE.
    While the latest Hitman got really good scores, it didn't sell good enough. I may be wrong but that's what I read elsewhere.