TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missions with the best story development?

Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    Because of you Motley Fool, I decided to check out this campaign! Unfortunately I don't have much time to play fan missions these days so I only managed to get through Songs and Laughter before having to quit, but it was a very promising start and overall hilarious! Brought back a lot of Thief nostalgia (it's been a while since I've played). Very eager to continue!
    Excellent! I have Made a Difference.

A quick time calculator for completing each level of the campaign, if you play the Motley Fool Way TM (which is pretty slow)

Level 1: Short
    Level 2: Long
    Level 3: Shortest (I just wanted to get it over with!)
    Level 4: Longest!
    Level 5: Long

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind as I slowly crawl through them!

I still hang with frobber's AKOTP. I still have a copy of the original "screen play" done up all nice in actual movie screen play style. It's ...about 70-80 pages and has the master plan all laid out from the beginning. Every spoken word, every objective, every plot twist, locations, player motivation...the lot. It was conceived ahead of time, on paper, in words then brought to life with the dark engine. Plenty of missions have been "better" but I've not been privy to a more calculated and well planed vision from step one. Of course Ken IS an actual rocket scientist and not much goes far in that field without a real plan ...so it was just in his nature. But what a journey for Garrett just to... well if you've played you know and if not, far be it from me to spoil it!

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    I still hang with frobber's AKOTP.
    That campaign sounds familiar - 9 missions or so? I remember it as one of the first FM's that I knew of, and unfortunately I don't think I made it past chapter 2 or 3. I seem to remember some really, really long stretches of walking past featureless walls. Just seemed to take a long time to get anywhere. If it had a story line, I guess I didn't get far enough into it.

It did...just some of it was probably too large for its own good. Just because you know how to build rockets doesn't men you have the whole game thing surrounded...but he sure gave it the 'ol "college try."

Finished up Stones and Glass Houses. Overall a pretty good campaign, if a bit mixed. The good: a pretty good storyline (although I had to replay the intro a few times to understand exactly who was blackmailing who), excellent voice acting, excellent design for the 3rd level (a mansion that's being blown apart by an angry ghost). The not-so-good: lots of areas to explore that didn't have anything to frob (loot, books, etc.) or add anything to the story, a bit of confusion as to what was actually going on sometimes, a somewhat anti-climatic final level. But still worth playing!

Next up is The Drymian Codex! I'm not too worried about it, though, 'cause Garrett says it should be a really easy in-and-out mission in his introduction, and Garrett's never wrong. He never grossly underestimates how much trouble it will be to break into a building, or how badly things can go wrong inside a Hammerite compound. Nope. Should take me about 20 minutes, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Motley Fool View Post
    Next up is The Drymian Codex! I'm not too worried about it, though, 'cause Garrett says it should be a really easy in-and-out mission in his introduction, and Garrett's never wrong. He never grossly underestimates how much trouble it will be to break into a building, or how badly things can go wrong inside a Hammerite compound. Nope. Should take me about 20 minutes, I think.
    Sounds about right!

See you in a few days
    Last edited by marbleman; 30th May 2017 at 13:00.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    And remember, you can finish the mission without ever going in the haunted crypt.... but it's not as much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman
    See you in a few days
    I hope so! The longer, the better.

The Drymian Diaries

• Man, this is a rough part of town! Here I am, a respectable citizen walking down the street when I get attacked by Hammers just for looking at their precious monastery. And then I run away, only to be shot to death by a guard in a neighboring castle! I think I might have some suggestions for Hammerite HR as to why their recruitment might not be going so well.

• I feel sorry for the guy who's manning the collapsed bridge in the sewers. He's been abandoned so long, they've actually stacked boxes in front of his only way out. (Maybe that's why he's still down there.)

• I stole a gear. I've had it for a long time - I hope it ends up being the solution to the final puzzle or something. Otherwise, I dunno why I'm carrying it. What is it, like 3 feet in diameter? Probably weighs at least 20 pounds? I checked to see if there was a bonus objective ("find the Mechanist who is struggling to fix the power problem and make his life even more miserable"), but there wasn't, so I guess I need it for something else.

• That has to be the most difficult way ever to break into a Hammerite compound! I loved it, but Garrett is probably rethinking the whole "easy in-and-out" thing, and wishing that Thief Mart sold those sunburst devices, or better lockpicks, or just ladders.

• New Hammerite chatter! I'm leaving a bunch of these guys unblackjacked just so I can listen to them muttering.

• So many things to read! Yaaaay! I love backstory. And these readables are written quite well, I must say. The author(s) did a great job keeping the medieval flavor of the lingo (words like "espy", "nonce", and so on). I am especially intrigued by several journals that trail off suddenly without the sentences being completed! I'm hoping that presages some cool plot twist and is not an indication that (say) Yandros was lazy and just forgot to finish writing the journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    And remember, you can finish the mission without ever going in the haunted crypt.... but it's not as much fun!
    Oh, I'm going. I mean it's just lovely to hear that there's some spectre in the crypt that can see in the dark and will cause lights nearby to turn off as he gets close. Should be a barrel of laffs.
    Last edited by Motley Fool; 30th May 2017 at 15:22.

I do hope you're going to expand your posts into full-on reviews for the Megathread. Highly entertaining.

I agree with Nickie! I'd love to see you write reviews in that style.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I do hope you're going to expand your posts into full-on reviews for the Megathread. Highly entertaining.
    I used to! Back when I seem to remember having fewer children and more free time. There was this thing called "Together in the Shadows" (I think) where folks would all play the same FM and give a report on their results. Not sure how long it lasted, but it was kinda fun.

[*]I feel sorry for the guy who's manning the collapsed bridge in the sewers. He's been abandoned so long, they've actually stacked boxes in front of his only way out.
    If memory serves (and it might not), there are other ways out, just none that are available to the player.

[*]I stole a gear. I've had it for a long time - I hope it ends up being the solution to the final puzzle or something.
    You use it to complete an optional goal, but it's only available on Expert, I believe.

[*]I am especially intrigued by several journals that trail off suddenly without the sentences being completed! I'm hoping that presages some cool plot twist and is not an indication that (say) Yandros was lazy and just forgot to finish writing the journal.
    You have me to blame for the texts, not Yandros. LOL I appreciate the oddity of this, but by way of explanation I thought it would make sense for some people to be in the middle of writing letters or entries in their journals. In real life, not everyone finishes a letter in one sitting. At least, not back in the day when people actually wrote letters to each other. Also, one letter mentions that there is a mail dispatch going out in a few days. I was hoping it might become clear that a few people were in the middle of writing letters, getting ready for that dispatch to go out, and that they just got interrupted or something. Perhaps they had to go about their duties before they could finish. I'll let you be the judge of whether or not we succeeded in conveying that.

Oh, I'm going. I mean it's just lovely to hear that there's some spectre in the crypt that can see in the dark and will cause lights nearby to turn off as he gets close. Should be a barrel of laffs.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    You have me to blame for the texts, not Yandros. LOL
    Ah, so you get credit for the impressive use of Olde English! Nice work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    I appreciate the oddity of this, but by way of explanation I thought it would make sense for some people to be in the middle of writing letters or entries in their journals. In real life, not everyone finishes a letter in one sitting....I'll let you be the judge of whether or not we succeeded in conveying that.
    That explanation makes sense. It's possibly one of those things that works in real life but is unusual in Thief context. Take for example the TV show 24. Jack Bauer is talking to someone, when suddenly he stops and coughs, then continues talking. "Hmmm," you think, "that's odd". Five minutes later he's driving his SUV when suddenly he goes into a short coughing fit again. "Uh oh", you say. Now in real life, Jack Bauer would be coughing all the time at random times. Maybe he's got allergies. But within the world of 24 (and really any TV show), coughing always means you've got some dread disease. What's normal in the real world is unusual and therefore a red flag on TV. And maybe also in Thief. I was sure (hopeful?) that something wild had suddenly caused everyone around the monastery to be dramatically interrupted

You see, in game theory, players will conditionally suspend their AAAUGH THERE'S A GIRL GHOST RUNNING IN THAT ROOM! WHAT'S GOING ON? WHY DID NOBODY SEE HER BUT ME?

Sorry, lost my train of thought. Anyway, it's fine.

Hooray, there appears to be no way into the haunted crypt! High Priest Xavier sealed it up and removed all the frobbiness from the door! "I'm all for that", sez me!

except I appear to have a long way to go yet in this game... lotta objectives still not done...

Hah! Well, that could just as easily be the explanation. There is, after all, a little girl running around. As for the haunted crypt, I hate to break it to you but there is a way in. It's in the sewers.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    And you'll want to swallow your fear and go in there if you ever hope to ditch that big gear you're toting around.

Ok, I'm feeling particularly dumb here. I cannot even find the haunted crypt. Here I've been complaining about it all this time, and now when I'm actually partially not-really ready to deal with it, I can't even find it! I did make my way into the sewers thanks to the pagans, and crept through what I thought was a haunted crypt but perhaps was just part of the old underground temple? It had traps and crazy statues, but no horrifying undead murderers. And then I made my way back to the courtyard, saved all the Hammerites (by having knocked them all out earlier), finished off the pagans, and ... well, now I have nowhere to go.

Did I make a wrong turn? Miss an obvious door?

(just a mild hint, please!)
    Last edited by Motley Fool; 31st May 2017 at 18:55.

You know those crates that were hiding the opening in the floor and (as you thought) preventing the sewer worker from leaving? Go down that ladder.

Huh. I've been down there, of course (I had to, to get into the monastery), and I remember the cutscene with the guys talking about how terrible the crypt was. I even explored thoroughly enough to find the crayman temple. Has it just been so long since I was down there that I forgot about a door I couldn't unlock? Or a secret I didn't find?

I shall find out tonight!

It's not a secret, it's just a door that you couldn't unlock until you found the key. However, the key was/is available in that room where the cutscene with the conversation about the ghost took place. In fact, in that conversation, one of them says straight out that the key to the crypt is on the desk right there. But, from that room, you have to cross the water with the broken bridge again to go back to the ladder you used originally to enter that level of the sewer. The door you missed is near that ladder.

Reading this thread is taking me back. I replayed 'The Black Frog' in 2015 for a school project and last year 'The Drymian Codex' for fun, but darn if I couldn't go back to them again. No surprise, as my favorites I usually play dozens of times. And nothing compares to my first playthrough of the Black Frog back when it first hit the net.

I'll also recommend two others Yandros worked on: 'Cell 6' and 'Deceptive Perception 2'. Yes, I do recommend the latter based on your request criteria.

I also enjoy your journal-esque writeups. Makes me want to do some myself!

Oh look at that, there's the crypt door! As expected, I just either never noticed it or forgot about it as I progressed through the level.

Yay, I made it into the crypt!

(Ok, actually it wasn't too bad. Yeah, the first attack was bad ("HERE I COME"), but I threw caution to the wind, just start running through the crypt (right-hand-rule), and made it out OK. Actually after a while I tried to figure out what the mechanism of the "ghost" was. It didn't seem to follow me, and even if I stood still and it hurt me, it kept moving away.) So, it worked out OK, I got rid of that 20lb. gear that had been weighing me down so long, and got a nifty shield. The end!

Oh... except I never found the "Trials of Saint Dismas". From the actual FM discussion thread, it seemed that on Expert mode I should have found it in Lucy's hideout (who did not turn out to be a ghost girl as I had mistakenly thought.) And there's something on top of her bookcase that for all the world looks like a scroll in a protective case. But it was unfrobbable, and the only other things I found in there were loot and her diary. Where did I miss it?

Anyway! That was a delightful 3 hours and 58 minutes, and it definitely qualified as "story development". And I felt happy that I had enough loot not to have to rob the Lucy, and to indeed leave her a Dewdrop. I'm just mushy that way.

On to the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by twhalen2600 View Post
    I also enjoy your journal-esque writeups.
    Why thank you!

I'll also recommend two others Yandros worked on: 'Cell 6' and 'Deceptive Perception 2'. Yes, I do recommend the latter based on your request criteria.
    Added to the list!

I replayed 'The Black Frog' in 2015 for a school project
    You went to a much cooler school than I did.

I have a friend with a daughter named Anna Liese. She's a sweet little girl. But thanks to Morbid Curiosity, it'll take a while before I can have fond thoughts of that name.

The Gallery Tour is one of the most amazing and fun ideas I've seen in a Thief game. A beautiful contrast between museum fun, monster fights, and TERROR. It's the Thief version of Jurrasic Park, if Jurassic Park also included ghostly suicides.

And when the zombies/undead emperor/skeleton haunts/torturer aren't killing me, the ambient music and sound effects are definitely shortening my lifespan.

Halfway through the gallery - what a great concept!

I really enjoyed the gallery segment as well - it's one of the reasons Morbid Curiosity was my favorite FM of 2016. I like any section in a game like that: there's a gallery or ride of some sort, you explore it after hours, and at one or more points can sneak into a behind-the-scenes type area. Very adventuresome!

I did go to a cool school as I also wrote a paper on System Shock 2! And I presented on TTLG in a class where we studied online communities.
    I posted a link to my project once in the ThiefGen forums. The project's at 'thiefdesign.blogspot.com'. Not my best written work as I was going for quantity over quality, but it was lots of fun.