TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: What new games are "immersive sims"

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    You can kill someone with a candy bar in DX1? Sweet.
    LOL

With an upgraded microfibral muscle aug, I've taken enemies out by throwing boxes at them. But apparently any physics object will do. Somewhere there is a video of somebody taking out an enemy by throwing a candy bar at the top of their head.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yup, I'd agree that emergence is a happenstance of a systems-based approach. Most successful game designs would have to account for things that could break the design, though -- for instance, giving every wall or door in a game a damage threshold beyond which it would break -- if I had a foot-thick titanium door that resisted all efforts to crack it open, I'd just blast a nearby concrete wall until it fell down. To account for that, the designer would have to make the room beyond the door also encased in something unbreakable.

Unpredictability isn't a successful criterion either -- once something happens often enough, it becomes predictable. A game can't have an infinite number of system interactions or outcomes (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Yup, I'd agree that emergence is a happenstance of a systems-based approach. Most successful game designs would have to account for things that could break the design, though -- for instance, giving every wall or door in a game a damage threshold beyond which it would break -- if I had a foot-thick titanium door that resisted all efforts to crack it open, I'd just blast a nearby concrete wall until it fell down. To account for that, the designer would have to make the room beyond the door also encased in something unbreakable.

Unpredictability isn't a successful criterion either -- once something happens often enough, it becomes predictable. A game can't have an infinite number of system interactions or outcomes (yet).
    That doesn't stop games like No Man's Sky from claiming they do.

Such INUSTICE!