TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Creed series

I'm playing Black Flag myself now, it's the seventh game in my binge playthrough of the series. About a third in and enjoying it greatly. A beautiful game. Don't know if I'll be able to finish it and the rest of the series (Rogue, Unity, Syndicate, and Chronicles) before Origins comes out, but I'll try.

Rogue is just more Black Flag without the charm of the characters or tropical setting, but with more gadgets and random events to compensate. You've already slogged through the worst 2 games in the series probably (Revelations and 3), so the rest should be very enjoyable at least. Unity is massively underrated especially. I'm up for co-op in Unity btw, barring irreconcilable timezone differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Rogue is just more Black Flag without the charm of the characters or tropical setting.
    It doesn't have the immediate charm, but I quite liked the change in perspective. It's not as well done as it could have been, but it's still interesting to play on the other side for once.
    Unity is massively underrated especially.
    Definitely agree with that. With all the patches (and a good CPU/GPU), I think it's absolutely worth playing, though it has the same weaknesses that all of the games in the franchise have. For me, it was a great return to the grandiose architecture of the first few games, something I very much missed in Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Flag.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    I'm up for co-op in Unity btw, barring irreconcilable timezone differences.
    AND irreconcilable level differences. Hrmph.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    AND irreconcilable level differences. Hrmph.
    Hah! Play the singleplayer, mang. It won't bite.

I started playing Assassin's Creed Origins last weekend, and I'm surprised by how much it's pulled me in. In general, I prefer my Assassin's Creed games to focus on cities with grandiose, intricate architecture; Origins has a lot of wilderness and small settlements, yet somehow I don't mind. The switch from minimap to Witcher 3-style compass seems a small thing, but it works well in making the game feel much less like a protracted feather hunt. Bayek, while out of revenge, feels surprisingly rounded. Most of all, there's a very strong, compelling sense of a place and a time, and for that already I'd enjoy the game. It's odd: Origins doesn't change the game into something entirely different, yet it does feel fresh. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone who never liked the series, but I would urge anyone who liked the earlier games but then tired of them to check it out.

I've been playing through AC - Syndicate for the past few days. Really sucks you in, though it's buggy as hell + they changed and removed a fair bit of standard AC style gameplay mechanics.

Still quite fun, but the bugs are everywhere. It's like Ubisoft just didn't give a fuck. Combat for example was changed to where enemies (but not you) have a defense meter. To get that meter down you need to either do a counter attack or the defense break down move. This works fine about 70% of the time if it's 1 enemy. But when it's 3 or more it all has a tendency to glitch up and get you killed. You'll be sitting there pissed off before you died due to a glitch rather than playing bad, and that is bad games development in my opinion. And why get rid of the jump button. Makes no sense.

Game needed another 3-6 months of work to properly fix all the bugs and polish it up a bit more.

What the game does good is the territory control stuff, the wealth of things to do and the new RPG elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I've enjoyed most of the series greatly (even the admittedly weaker instalments like AC3 and Unity), but even with the stronger games in the series I got to a point where I was all ACed out. I can't even imagine bingeing on the entire series.
    As it happens I've been playing through them all in order recently. I completed the first three years ago, but I wanted to play Revelations and thought I'd refresh my memory a bit. I've just finished ACIII. Next up is Liberation. They're a bit of a slog at times, but whatever the occasional shortcomings in gameplay, it's made up for with the fabulous gameworlds Ubisoft creates.

Revelations felt very rote and bland to me. I thought 3 was the nadir for the series, and the only one I'd consider having more bad than good. I skipped Liberation because I read that it's like 3 only less good.

Rogue is excellent. Its more or less a more refined Black Flag with most (but not all) of the bugs fixed.

Syndicate though is just broken. Like playing a board game where the odds are stacked against you and the other player doesn't even play by the established rules.

Been trying to get through the boxing arenas and its been an absolute nightmare. Say you have 2 enemies rushing at you about to attack and the game flashes them to indicate that you need to press the action button to counterattack. In all games prior pressing it once would counter all melee attacks. But not in Syndicate. You need to tap the action button the amount that there is enemies to counter. So twice in this example.

Problem being that when this happens for more than 1 enemy the game will often glitch at this moment and only accept the first counterattack thus giving all other enemies a free hit on you. This makes getting through the boxing arenas where the game will throw 3-6 enemies at once at you a near impossible challenge. I'm stubborn though and have managed to clear all but one of the arenas after A LOT of attempts.

Chakat sex pillow
    Congratulations on vanquishing the dreaded alot, for however temporary that reprieve is.

AssCreed and in general open-world games feel really artificial to me because they're constructed upon a labyrinth of repetitiveness. GTA eludes that a bit because you can run around and be creative in the process of running around - launch a bike onto a train and take a tour? Why not. Hike up to a mountain and parachute off of it? Sure. Pile up a bunch of cars at an intersection, cause a chain reaction by exploding one of them, and spend the next half hour being dogged by the police? That's like the only metric you need to gauge a GTA with.

AssCreed by comparison layers on inane side-quests* in a pretty transparent bid to give you a reason to explore the environments. It's like no one at Ubi realises most people like exploring at their own pace, without being on a leash. The only ones that are interesting to me are the murder investigations, and it's telling that there aren't many of those -- requires actual unique content from VOs to particular graphical assets be placed in the world, after all.

I invariably get bored with every single AssCreed because even the main missions feel like busywork with added fluff. To wit, I've not finished a single goddamn one of them, and I own almost all of them except for Origins and the likes of Rogue. If we were to gauge the game with the most interesting/worthwhile content, I suppose that'd be Black Flag, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to see the end of it. Anyone have a differing opinion on that?

*E.g., collectathons: feathers, collect anomalies, collect... flying musical notes?, low-effort running competitions, procedurally generated -- wait, I mean randomly generated -- rescue events that never ever stop, sorry random pedestrian being mugged, sorry slave orphans but y'all look alike to me and I saved your asses a hundred times over so just succumb already. Like I care any more. Jesus.

I'm surprised you're encountering so many bugs, icemann; I can't say that I didn't run into any bugs while playing Syndicate, but definitely nothing game-breaking or even particularly bothersome. With respect to the boxing matches, I found those pretty trivial after a while, and I'm not really great at twitch gameplay. Are you playing on PC or on one of the consoles?

Sulphur: I like the series, I've played most of the games to completion (story completion, that is - I don't think I 100% any of them), but I can't really disagree with you. It's more that I mind the negatives less, or I'm better able to ignore them, while enjoying the positives more. Origins feels least like it's trying to incentivise you to explore through shallow gameplay, mind you, at least so far. In terms of more interesting activities, I quite liked the Syndicate music boxes, where you have a picture of a location and you have to find it due to the landmarks and how they relate to each other spacially. I'm not as big a fan of Black Flag as many others, but I liked its story and characters, more than the new gameplay elements.
    Last edited by Thirith; 9th Feb 2018 at 04:14.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I can't recall any significant bugs in AC Syndicate either, on PS4. Then again I hear the Ubigames are generally more buggy on PC.

I'll still probably pick up Origins at some point. I'm not super-interested in the setting, but I am looking forward to seeing the new gameplay tweaks.

Are you playing on PC or on one of the consoles?
    PC. I played the first two games on PS3, then PC for every game after that.

This is one of the buggiest games that I've played in years. Black Flag had quite a few as well, but those were mostly funny.

The only funny one in Syndicate that I encountered was when I encounteted a bunch of people playing cricket in a park. Seemed innocent enough at first. Wow I've not seen this in an open world game I thought so stopped to watch.

The guy bowling runs up, the ball vanishes, the guy batting hits an invisble ball, starts running with his bat a meter infront of him. Him not even holding the bat. That was funny.

The boxing bugs just had me swearing at my computer. When you hit the counter button at the right time but get hit and die anyway that's bullshit. Only through perserverance have I been able to get through them, as every now and then the stars align and everything works. For a few rounds. And if you play a very specific way of doing absolutely nothing but hitting counterattack then it works 3/4 of the time. It's that 1/4 when it doesn't that keeps getting me killed. And if you so much as press a direction button whilst counterattacking then it can fuck you up.

So you basically have to do each round as a quick time event and use no tactics at all, otherwise you die. Thats just fucked up. All previous games had a wayyyyyyyyy better combat system. They NEVER should have messed with it, as they COMPLETELY fucked it up in this game.

And don't mind me. All those boxing attempts at the final arena have been driving me bonkers. Best I've manged is the 6th round of a 8 round arena.

I've had QUITE a few crashes and game breakers also. In the previous arena I was going through - One time I get to the end of a round, all opponents defeated but it doesn't end. Huh wtf? I think. Only to notice an enemy stuck outside the ring, who was stuck partially in a table. I couldn't exit the match and the game wouldn't let me go the menu screen to reload my save. Had to alt + ctrl + del and close the game down. This kindof stuff is very rare luckily.
    Last edited by icemann; 9th Feb 2018 at 06:33.

Chakat sex pillow
    Sulphur: I like the series, I've played most of the games to completion (story completion, that is - I don't think I 100% any of them), but I can't really disagree with you. It's more that I mind the negatives less, or I'm better able to ignore them, while enjoying the positives more. Origins feels least like it's trying to incentivise you to explore through shallow gameplay, mind you, at least so far. In terms of more interesting activities, I quite liked the Syndicate music boxes, where you have a picture of a location and you have to find it due to the landmarks and how they relate to each other spacially. I'm not as big a fan of Black Flag as many others, but I liked its story and characters, more than the new gameplay elements.
    Yeah, I play the games for the story, because the gameplay generally leaves me cold. The stealth, combat, and parkouring aren't nearly as good as you'd find in a game that focuses on just one of things. It's never bad per se (bar the odd occasion where a rooftop run ends with your protagonist deciding to jump at a random angle instead of where you were pointing him/her), but there's not enough depth to fully enjoy those elements. That's why I feel Black Flag is the one to go with for now - it seems pretty entertaining in terms of story and characters.

In those terms I can definitely recommend Black Flag. If it just was "yay, pirates!", I wouldn't have been a huge fan, but it gets surprisingly (and IMO effectively) poignant at times without becoming maudlin.

Rogue's unique angle of being the only one where your playing as a Templar, story wise gives it quite the draw card also.

One thing I really don't like about Origins and the series in general is how rarely the Templars feel like anything other than panto villains. Every now and then throughout Assassin's Creed there are hints that this is a battle of ideas and ideologies, with individual Templars being motivated not by wealth or power or sadism but by what they think is actually better for mankind, and you also get Assassins whose views are shown to be more ambiguous or flawed - but most of the time the games default to "Nah, this guy is actually ludicrously, cartoonishly evil, so put a few stab wounds in his torso and through his neck." The closest I've yet got to an antagonist who is the teensiest bit sympathetic is a mother who wants to bring back her dead daughter, which is a nice parallel to Bayek - but before we find out that she's doing what she does out of sorrow, we already know that she kidnaps and sacrifices innocents, so our sympathy doesn't go beyond "Yeah, let's put her out of her misery".

There's potential in the series for a more interesting conflict, and I wish they'd actually do more with this, but as it is, they obviously prefer their cartoon bad guys, which I'm sick and tired of. By now the Assassin's Creed villains usually just differ in "Oh, this is the one with the luxurious moustache" and "This is the one who's folksy instead of haughty" and "That's the one with breasts instead of a penis."

Would it work if the villains were more sympathetic? I mean... You're playing an assassin. If you were killing decent folk over differences in philosophy, that might feel more than a little uncomfortable for a lot of people.

It would work for me - but even in a series where you're playing assassins, I think the games would benefit from offering other kinds of interaction. Look at The Witcher: you're playing a monster killer, but you do lots of other things. Or look at Hitman, where all you do is assassinate, but the actual gameplay is much more varied and interesting. It's not like Assassin's Creed has perfected assassination gameplay - they don't even seem to be all that interested in this.

They occasionally show more ambition with respect to characterisation and storytelling (Rogue puts the Assassins in a worse light, Unity has you team up with a Templar some of the time and one of its sort-of-villains is an Assassin), but it's only glimpses of what an Assassin's Creed that has more to offer than virtual tourism could be.

One thing I really don't like about Origins and the series in general is how rarely the Templars feel like anything other than panto villains. Every now and then throughout Assassin's Creed there are hints that this is a battle of ideas and ideologies, with individual Templars being motivated not by wealth or power or sadism but by what they think is actually better for mankind, and you also get Assassins whose views are shown to be more ambiguous or flawed - but most of the time the games default to "Nah, this guy is actually ludicrously, cartoonishly evil, so put a few stab wounds in his torso and through his neck." The closest I've yet got to an antagonist who is the teensiest bit sympathetic is a mother who wants to bring back her dead daughter, which is a nice parallel to Bayek - but before we find out that she's doing what she does out of sorrow, we already know that she kidnaps and sacrifices innocents, so our sympathy doesn't go beyond "Yeah, let's put her out of her misery".

There's potential in the series for a more interesting conflict, and I wish they'd actually do more with this, but as it is, they obviously prefer their cartoon bad guys, which I'm sick and tired of. By now the Assassin's Creed villains usually just differ in "Oh, this is the one with the luxurious moustache" and "This is the one who's folksy instead of haughty" and "That's the one with breasts instead of a penis."
    Again, go play AC - Rogue . You completely get to see the Templar end of the scale, which was a refreshing change for the series. For me it changed my perception of them to more of a ideals difference. Kinda like in Shin Megami Tensei where you had forces of law who were all for absolute law and order / a very clear cut view of what was acceptable, and the forces of chaos who were the polar opposite and went for complete freedom to do whatever in the hell you wanted. Though SMT also had a faction in the middle, neutral which went for a more 50/50 blend of both.

The AC series needs more entries where you play as the Templar's. I'd play the hell out of any of those.

In Rogue's case it shows that there are individuals on both sides that go to the extreme, and thus betray the very ideals of the factions they represent. The game also GREATLY complements both AC 3 and AC Black Flag, which no other game in the series has really done.

The AC games suffer much from what the Star Wars games suffer from, in that never friggin let you play as someone on the Empire end that often. At least in SW's case you have a couple of games. Still though, when you look at how many have you play as the good guys vs how many let you play as bad guys it's very one sided.
    Last edited by icemann; 25th Feb 2018 at 11:15.

I agree that Rogue is one of the more interesting games in the series in that regard. Thinking about Unity, which had a sympathetic (and female) Templar character, and Syndicate, where you could switch between two characters, one male and one female, I would like to see an Assassin's Creed game that lets you switch between a Templar and an Assassin and that works at making both characters argue they're *ethically* right from their own point of view. Again, there are hints of this in some of the games, but they're usually half-hearted and undermined by the rest of the plot.

I'd be cool with that, if the story-lines played out interwoven, so player character 1's actions during mission 1, flow through to affect player 2's mission etc etc.

I quite like with Syndicate having the 2 characters to choose from. Once fully upgraded up you could feasibly use either for a mission though Evie works better for the stealth (due to greater stealth rate and her invisibility when crouching still), and Jacob works far better in combat due his superior combat skills. Either works though, but just more in those areas. I'd argue that Jacob has the better looking gear when upgrading. Evie's final gear that you get for finding all the music boxes just looks meh. Compare that to Jacob's best outfit and it greatly complements his look + the time setting that the game is set in.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Picked up AC Origins (PS4) in the shop for 23€ today. What a deal! Tho I do also have plans to pick up FC5 this week, and I'm not crazy enough to submit myself to 2 Ubigames at once, so I might have to shelve Origins for a while.

Curious to hear what you think of Origins, henke, once you get around to playing it. It does some things very well, but on the whole I think it's still got the same flaws as all Assassin's Creed games - it's just that the flaws aren't quite as egregious this time round, while the strong points are as strong as they've ever been in the series. I finished the main story yesterday and, as so often in Assassin's Creed, I thought they did some really interesting things with the story and characters without quite understanding what they were doing and why there was the potential for something more interesting and more ambiguous.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast