TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [Dev Thread] Enhanced Thief Fan Missions Archive (Last update: 2017/12/24)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizd3m View Post
    This is super cool, and looks very well organized! I'm wondering if you'll be including links to various written reviews for FMs/Campaigns found on the web. I needed a good reason to get back into writing, and would love to support the project the best way I know how. No worries if that's not in the plan, I'm mostly just curious and excited that this is happening
    Well, as you advised me, I added a new YAML key in order to incorporate this kind of information. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    Actually I was kind of waiting to see what you decided to do with campaigns before starting with detecting them. Detecting a campaign shouldn't be too hard, I can just see if there are multiple .mis files and then check titles.str to see if there are multiple non-stock mission names in there to be sure. Pulling individual descriptions from the readme is an iffier proposition, but I'll still give it a shot cause I'm game.
    My last preview, is my last option. One page for a Thief Campaign, as Yandros advised me. I'll surely tweak it but I think I have a great template base. I'll add "Similar Fan Missions" section at the bottom.

Even if I can't do it fully automatically, I may be able to make it quicker to copy-paste manually with maybe some auto-formatting help or something (cause a lot of descriptions have slightly wacky formatting that looks fine when displayed in DarkLoader but needs finagling when you want to paste it elsewhere, I know from pasting a lot of readme text into YouTube video descriptions )
    We should be aware about this problem because the Fan Mission will be described in Markdown, with an entire different language syntax. So the formatted texts cannot be copy-pasted as they are in README... and weird characters should be avoided.

Impressive Fen!! Yeah, you definitely should create your own thread in order to promote your work. It's amazing. I didn't think you were working on a GUI.

Maybe as a future improvement: replace the "Open YAML" button by an "Export to.." one with "YAML", "JSON" and "XML" as available options.

I have changed some things in YAML archetype. We should work together in order to define them and coordinate the changes between our two applications:

Code:
    draft: true

title: ""
    author:
      name: ""
      ttlgpropfileid: ""

type: "fanmission"
    includedmissions: ""

details:
      game: ""
      ttlgthread:
        id: ""
      category: ""
      contest:
        url: ""
      languages:
        - ""
      version: ""
      newdark:
        isrequired: false
        minrequiredversion: ""
      originalreleasedate: ""
      lastupdatedate: ""
      characteristics:
        hascustomgamesys: false
        hascustomscripts: false
        hascustomtextures: false
        hascustomsounds: false
        hascustomobjects: false
        hascustomcreatures: false
        hascustommotions: false
        hasautomap: false
        hasmovies: false
        hasmap: false

extras:
      download:
        main: 
          sourcename: ""
        mirrors:
          - sourcename: ""
      screenshots:
        urls:
          - ""
      youtube:
        videoid: ""
        author:
          channelid: ""
      reviews:
      walkthroughs:
      lootlists:
    I'm not sure about this part. I think I'll rework it:

Code:
    type can have two values: fanmission and campaign
    If the value is campaign, so the includedmissions key should indicate the number of available FMs included in the campaign.

You can see the Git diff here: https://github.com/etfma/etfma-websi...9ba7b28da882f4
    Last edited by EnYB0La; 18th Dec 2017 at 09:58.
    Enhanced Thief Fan Missions Archive (ETFMA): [TTLG thread]
    DromEd Level Editor Developer Textures Kit (DLETDK): [TTLG thread]

Quote Originally Posted by EnYB0La View Post
    We should be aware about this problem because the Fan Mission will be described in Markdown, with an entire different language syntax. So the formatted texts cannot be copy-pasted as they are in README... and weird characters should be avoided.
    Right, I forgot about that. I'll remember to convert it to valid Markdown.

Impressive Fen!! Yeah, you definitely should create your own thread in order to promote your work. It's amazing. I didn't think you were working on a GUI.

Maybe as a future improvement: replace the "Open YAML" button by an "Export to.." one with "YAML", "JSON" and "XML" as available options.
    Thanks. Actually the interface is basically "dev garbage" right now, it's just to let me do whatever I need to do, and I'm just throwing whatever I need on there. Once I start getting things more complete and nailed down, I'll rework the UI to be more user friendly and make more sense.

But Hugo doesn't support XML, right? It says "YAML, JSON and TOML". Sadly I need to take a dependency for any of those (but not XML), but ah well.

I have changed some things in YAML archetype. We should work together in order to define them and coordinate the changes between our two applications:

Code:

author:
      ttlgpropfileid: ""

details:
      ttlgthread:
      contest:
      languages:
        - ""
      newdark:
      characteristics:
        hascustomgamesys: false

extras:
      download:
        main: 
        mirrors:
      screenshots:
        urls:
          - ""
      youtube:
        author:
      reviews:
      walkthroughs:
      lootlists:
    I'm not sure about this part. I think I'll rework it:

Code:
    type can have two values: fanmission and campaign
    If the value is campaign, so the includedmissions key should indicate the number of available FMs included in the campaign.
    I note that "ttlgpropfileid" should presumably be "ttlgprofileid". For the longest time I was wondering what a "prop file" is.

Another thing is, if you look on the thiefmissions.com list for example, some missions have Hints links. Only about 30 or so of them have such links, but we could add a "hints" value nevertheless.

To everyone reading, what do you think about the custom gamesys and custom everything else stuff? Is this important and/or relevant? It'd be good to get popular opinion on this point. Or maybe we ask for feedback during the public beta period?

Another thing I thought of is that some missions have separate downloads for different languages, Death's Cold Embrace being a recent example. We'll have to take that into account, as we'd have to have different download links for different languages and a way to note that on the page. Could put them in the Mirrors dropdown, but then they're a bit hidden and it isn't immediately obvious that one needs to download a separate file for other languages. Or else have separate pages for the different versions in that case, but that seems kinda inconsistent.

One more thing I can think of, is that there are missions which aren't technically a campaign (ie, they're separate releases) but which are part of the same "story", like for example Ominous Bequest & Broken Triad, the Rocksbourg series, the Love Story series, etc. It may be nice to have an easy way to let people click onto other missions in the same "series but not campaign". Not sure about the details of this and I'm dead tired right now so hoypadoyp. Anyway, that's all I can think of right now, the rest looks good to me.

I don't think custom gamesys is worthwhile; 99% of released missions have a custom gamesys anyway, even those that use stock resources only. Custom everything else however is a good indicator and should be listed (but as said before, custom Books and Goals should be omitted).

But Hugo doesn't support XML, right? It says "YAML, JSON and TOML". Sadly I need to take a dependency for any of those (but not XML), but ah well.
    I was wondering if we could use your app, not only with Hugo, but as a standalone one where users could list their downloaded FM and get details of theml. So, yeah IMHO, it could be a great feature to be able to export this database to JSON, YAML and XML. And maybe TOML. In my case, I'll use YAML as a reference to my web app.

I note that "ttlgpropfileid" should presumably be "ttlgprofileid". For the longest time I was wondering what a "prop file" is.
    Fixed

Another thing is, if you look on the thiefmissions.com list for example, some missions have Hints links. Only about 30 or so of them have such links, but we could add a "hints" value nevertheless.
    I'll create a new YAML key.

Code:
    extras:
      hints:
    To everyone reading, what do you think about the custom gamesys and custom everything else stuff? Is this important and/or relevant? It'd be good to get popular opinion on this point. Or maybe we ask for feedback during the public beta period?
    I was thinking about this kind of stuff yeah. I'm not really sure if it is really a relevant information. And yes, I think, we should get popular opinion about that during the public Beta period.

Another thing I thought of is that some missions have separate downloads for different languages, Death's Cold Embrace being a recent example. We'll have to take that into account, as we'd have to have different download links for different languages and a way to note that on the page. Could put them in the Mirrors dropdown, but then they're a bit hidden and it isn't immediately obvious that one needs to download a separate file for other languages. Or else have separate pages for the different versions in that case, but that seems kinda inconsistent.
    I'll have to think about it and rework this part. Maybe, using a dropdown list (with an arrow button) added to the main Download button with available language options?

One more thing I can think of, is that there are missions which aren't technically a campaign (ie, they're separate releases) but which are part of the same "story", like for example Ominous Bequest & Broken Triad, the Rocksbourg series, the Love Story series, etc. It may be nice to have an easy way to let people click onto other missions in the same "series but not campaign". Not sure about the details of this and I'm dead tired right now so hoypadoyp. Anyway, that's all I can think of right now, the rest looks good to me.
    We could create a new YAML key in order to reference those FM to the current viewed one. I'll work too in this case and I'll notice you when I'll get more worked stuff. Added to my TODO list

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    I don't think custom gamesys is worthwhile; 99% of released missions have a custom gamesys anyway, even those that use stock resources only. Custom everything else however is a good indicator and should be listed (but as said before, custom Books and Goals should be omitted).
    I decided to delete this YAML key. Thanks

The current Fan Mission Single Page Template Sidebar:

Last edited by EnYB0La; 18th Dec 2017 at 12:14.

Well, as you advised me, I added a new YAML key in order to incorporate this kind of information. Thanks.
    Thank you so much, EnYB0La

2017/12/18

I think I'm getting close to the final version of the desktop Fan Mission Single Page Template.

1. Reworked the colors creating shaded ones.

2. Reworked Download buttons: Only one Zip file vs Several available languages or files, and only one mirror as download alternative.

3. New "How to install a Fan Mission" main button located in the header.

4. Reworked NewDark badge with the minimal required version.

I have to add a new Characteristics entry called "Custom subtitles" + Similar Fan Missions at the bottom + Reworking the default content archetype

Should I add a new YouTube Ghosting walkthrough video reference (klatremus)?
    Last edited by EnYB0La; 19th Dec 2017 at 19:53.

2017/12/19

A concrete example with a Fan Mission.

And also, I modified the default YAML front-matter:

Code:

author:
      ttlgprofileid: ""

details:
      ttlgthread:
      contest:
      languages:
        - ""
      newdark:
      characteristics:
        hascustomsubtitles: false

extras:
      download:
        main:
          hoster:
            websiteurl: ""
          items:
            - language: ""
              size: ""
        alternative:
          hoster:
          items:
            - language: ""
              size: ""
      screenshots:
        source:
        items:
          - ""
      youtube:
        youtuber:
      reviews:
      walkthroughs:
      lootlists:
      hints:
          url: "
    The Git Diff: https://github.com/etfma/etfma-websi...d8c?diff=split
    Last edited by EnYB0La; 19th Dec 2017 at 20:00.

Looking pretty good.

Couple thoughts:

I think the "How to install a fan mission" link should be close to the Download button, like maybe right above it even. I had to look around for it when you mentioned you added it; my eye tends to ignore the top part above the header image and just scan from the header image down. Plus the button is in very low-key grey so I think it's easy to miss. If it were right above the Download button, even just a regular blue text link like the Hoster link, then I think people wouldn't miss it when they go to download. That's my train of thought, anyway; I think "download" first, but maybe other people would look for a "how to" first, I don't know. But it could definitely stand to be easier to find, and as I said, the top bar tends to look like noise to me (top and bottom bars on sites tend to say to me "this is random header/footer stuff you don't care about, so not important") so I don't really look there first.

On the other side, I think the NewDark badge could stand to have its colors more muted; red is a really attention-grabbing, warning/error/something's-wrong kind of color, and it draws my eye too much. Plus the red-on-white text can be a little hard to read when surrounded by the darker backdrop. I think a different color, or even just greyscale might work well.

I notice on the right side, you've got "NewDark: * [version]" and then "* minimum required version" at the bottom. I think it'd be better to just say "NewDark minimum required version: [version]" or similar without the asterisk text at the bottom. It'd be tidier and one less flick of the eye.

Finally, I still think it should be made clearer if an alternate download is required in order to get a certain language. I'm just not quite sure, I just feel like it should be immediately clear if you need an alternate download or not, but not sure how I would suggest doing it. I do have a few ideas... maybe I'm overthinking it. But I'd like to do a few mockups later to try some different things out and then show them here for feedback.

Anyway, it's coming along nicely, so good work.

Oh, and one other thing: some missions have multiple authors, so maybe we can add that.

I think the "How to install a fan mission" link should be close to the Download button.

On the other side, I think the NewDark badge could stand to have its colors more muted; red is a really attention-grabbing, warning/error/something's-wrong kind of color, and it draws my eye too much. Plus the red-on-white text can be a little hard to read when surrounded by the darker backdrop. I think a different color, or even just greyscale might work well.
    I redesigned this badge but I prefer the red one because it has to alert the player he needs that NewDark minimum required version in order to be able to play the viewed FM. People reading this, what do you think about this decision?

I notice on the right side, you've got "NewDark: * [version]" and then "* minimum required version" at the bottom. I think it'd be better to just say "NewDark minimum required version: [version]" or similar without the asterisk text at the bottom. It'd be tidier and one less flick of the eye.
    I'm not sure about this... I applied what you mentioned me but I think the text is too long. Maybe should I use a tooltip and a ? icon instead of an asterics character..?

Finally, I still think it should be made clearer if an alternate download is required in order to get a certain language. I'm just not quite sure, I just feel like it should be immediately clear if you need an alternate download or not, but not sure how I would suggest doing it. I do have a few ideas... maybe I'm overthinking it. But I'd like to do a few mockups later to try some different things out and then show them here for feedback.
    Waiting for your mockups to get an idea

Oh, and one other thing: some missions have multiple authors, so maybe we can add that.
    What FM can I use to inspire me and to have a concrete reference?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Waterfront Racket was by me and Tannar, and The Drymian Codex was me, Random_Taffer and Tannar.

Sorry for my absence. I coded myself into a coma and lose sleep and then didn't wanna think about it

I see your point about alerting people what NewDark version they need. And your other points as well. Honestly maybe I shouldn't sweat these details for now. Locking in the data format (looks like we're about done?) and generating some real pages is more important. I'm getting close to being able to start writing out files. Detection is very accurate for most of the detectable values.

Titles are >96% detected. Authors about 85% or so are detected. Languages, custom stuff*, and NewDark Required are 100% detected. About 80 missions have their NewDark minimum version detected, which looks like about half of the existent NewDark missions according to the list. (These numbers include some duplicate missions and some non-English versions and stuff, so it's not an exact count). Campaign/single-mission is detected 100%. Individual mission names for campaigns are detected if they're specified in the titles.str. Which should be all the time in theory.

Descriptions are detected if they're specified in fm.ini.

The stuff that's not so well detected is:

-Version. About a third of all missions have some kind of version detected, but it's not necessarily accurate and there's a lot of "version 2010", "version 64 Cubed Contest", "version Perspex" (?!) and using the Version line to specify the required NewDark version rather than the FM version. I can improve this to some extent, but I don't really trust it. A misleading version number wouldn't be so great.

-Original release date / last update date. Only a small number of these are currently being detected. I could improve that, but the real issue is that not a whole lot of missions are going to specify both these dates clearly and accurately. I've seen some misisons with one date in the fm.ini and another in the readme, and some just specify a "release" date and don't say whether it's original-release or last-updated. I could detect the last-modified date of the .mis file(s), but that may well be inaccurate. Some of them have wonky dates ("3/9/2036", "4/27/1980"), and the last-modified date may not be the date the mission was actually released. Even if we accepted that margin of error, the Original Release Date is a bust. No way to tell that by looking at file dates; any one of them could have been modified for a new release. I don't think this one is going to work out so well for auto-detect.

All in all though, a lot of info is here. Getting pretty close I'd say.

I'm going to clone the etfma git repo and see if I can't figure out how to mock something up with it. Sorry I didn't do it earlier.

*except Custom Subtitles; I haven't tried to detect those yet

Last edited by FenPhoenix; 23rd Dec 2017 at 04:23. Reason: typo

Sorry for my absence. I coded myself into a coma and lose sleep and then didn't wanna think about it

I see your point about alerting people what NewDark version they need. And your other points as well. Honestly maybe I shouldn't sweat these details for now. Locking in the data format (looks like we're about done?) and generating some real pages is more important. I'm getting close to being able to start writing out files. Detection is very accurate for most of the detectable values.

Titles are >96% detected. Authors about 85% or so are detected. Languages, custom stuff*, and NewDark Required are 100% detected. About 80 missions have their NewDark minimum version detected, which looks like about half of the existent NewDark missions according to the list. (These numbers include some duplicate missions and some non-English versions and stuff, so it's not an exact count). Campaign/single-mission is detected 100%. Individual mission names for campaigns are detected if they're specified in the titles.str. Which should be all the time in theory.

Descriptions are detected if they're specified in fm.ini.
    Just impressive dude. Nice work. Continue!

The stuff that's not so well detected is:

-Version. About a third of all missions have some kind of version detected, but it's not necessarily accurate and there's a lot of "version 2010", "version 64 Cubed Contest", "version Perspex" (?!) and using the Version line to specify the required NewDark version rather than the FM version. I can improve this to some extent, but I don't really trust it. A misleading version number wouldn't be so great.

-Original release date / last update date. Only a small number of these are currently being detected. I could improve that, but the real issue is that not a whole lot of missions are going to specify both these dates clearly and accurately. I've seen some misisons with one date in the fm.ini and another in the readme, and some just specify a "release" date and don't say whether it's original-release or last-updated. I could detect the last-modified date of the .mis file(s), but that may well be inaccurate. Some of them have wonky dates ("3/9/2036", "4/27/1980"), and the last-modified date may not be the date the mission was actually released. Even if we accepted that margin of error, the Original Release Date is a bust. No way to tell that by looking at file dates; any one of them could have been modified for a new release. I don't think this one is going to work out so well for auto-detect.

All in all though, a lot of info is here. Getting pretty close I'd say.
    Well, the version is a string, so... it can be "Whatever you want" or "1.x".

I'm going to clone the etfma git repo and see if I can't figure out how to mock something up with it. Sorry I didn't do it earlier.
    I'm not coding but designing on Illustrator. Do you want the .AI file?

[/I]
    Like it!

1. Why are there two tabs located at the top?
    2. You should invert "Archive Name" with "Title" columns.
    3. You should sort the Languages values by A-Z.
    4. What [r] means?
    5. Are you doing a difference between TG and TDP FMs? I only see 'tdp' and 'tma'.
    6. Included missions should be an integer, not a list of titles.

PS: Never knew you were able to rap
    Last edited by EnYB0La; 24th Dec 2017 at 02:15. Reason: typos

2017/12/24

Got free time. I just designed the generic single page template (About this project, How to contribute, Terms and Conditions, etc...) and modified the background color of the Header and Footer in order to focus the user on the content section. DId the same on the FM/Campaign Single Page template.

The Table of content is fixed and should move up to bottom while scrolling.
    Last edited by EnYB0La; 24th Dec 2017 at 02:16. Reason: Fixed date

I'm not coding but designing on Illustrator. Do you want the .AI file?
    Oh, no wonder I couldn't figure it out. Yeah, toss me the .ai file and I'll have a play around!

1. Why are there two tabs located at the top?
    Just a working thing. The first tab has a list of FM zips and a list of extracted folders (final version will probably just read the zips directly and not have to extract the whole thing). Second tab, as you see, is for listing the collected data.

2. You should invert "Archive Name" with "Title" columns.
    Will do. Heh, that's the same thing I could say about NewDarkLoader and yet here I go doing it too.

3. You should sort the Languages values by A-Z.
    All columns can be sorted A-Z by clicking on the header. They don't have an arrow symbol cause I guess they don't have one by default and I forgot to look into how to add it. Will do that.

4. What [r] means?
    That's a temporary debug thing; it means the date was gotten from the readme instead of the fm.ini file.

5. Are you doing a difference between TG and TDP FMs? I only see 'tdp' and 'tma'.
    I thought those were the only two options you were going to use. I personally don't think the distinction is very important; if you're interested in playing fan missions, why the heck would you be using T1 non-Gold and lock yourself out of anything that requires Gold, when TG is cheap and readily available online?

However, it seems that FM sites do make this distinction. I can attempt to detect T1 from TG, but it won't be fully accurate. The way I'm currently detecting game types is I scan the .mis file(s) looking for the "SKYOBJVAR" string (like DarkLoader) and detect like this:

Code:
                //      No SKYOBJVAR                    - OldDark Thief 1/G
                //      SKYOBJVAR at ~770               - OldDark Thief 2
                //      SKYOBJVAR at ~3092 or ~7216     - NewDark, could be either T1/G or T2
                //      SKYOBJVAR at any other location - OldDark Thief2
    But I can't use this to distinguish between T1 and TG; I'd have to use the readme. I don't know how accurate that would be, but it would definitely not be 100%. Some readmes don't say anything about game type; some say stuff like "Thief: The Dark Project (Thief Gold compatible)"; some say "Thief: The Dark Project" when I'm pretty sure they mean Gold (ie, Working Late). Even if you went through the missions manually, you would probably not get it right all the time.

What does everyone think about this? Is it important to know if a mission is T1 or TG? Are there old T1 missions that don't work right under Gold?

6. Included missions should be an integer, not a list of titles.
    Oh, okay. So for campaigns, the missions that are listed on the page are just done in Markdown, then?

PS: Never knew you were able to rap
    Oh, you found that stuff?
    Last edited by FenPhoenix; 24th Dec 2017 at 10:50.

Are there old T1 missions that don't work right under Gold?
    Yes. There are 4 x T1 missions who's objectives do not work correctly when playing via TG engine. These missions can all be played fully via TG if you replace convict.osm with the old convict.osm. This needs to be done ONLY when playing via FMsel as you must NOT place oldconvict.osm in your main Thief folder.

In the Brief Summaries tables I have included footnotes for all those missions that are affected by this T1/TG conflict.

Missions include:-
    Garrett's Revenge (any zip that does not have gold in it's title)
    Trickster's Return (when playing on expert only)
    Amida (but Voodoo managed to produce a dml to overcome this issue)
    Information

Columns can be sorted A-Z by clicking on the header. They don't have an arrow symbol cause I guess they don't have one by default and I forgot to look into how to add it. Will do that.
    I was talking about "english, french...". In one case, we can see "french, english...".

And, yes the title of each of the included missions should be written down in the Markdown part (left section of the template). Instead, should we list them in the sidebar..?
    Last edited by EnYB0La; 24th Dec 2017 at 17:41.

I was talking about "english, french...". In one case, we can see "french, english...".
    Oh, sorry, I misread. Okay, I'll do that too.

And, yes the title of each of the included missions should be written down in the Markdown part (left section of the template). Instead, should we list them in the sidebar..?
    Not sure. The current way seems alright to me; I don't think we need a whole page's worth of info for each mission of a campaign.

A new and enhanced Thief Fan Mission website with detailed and descriptive descriptions and screenshots.That sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Yes. There are 4 x T1 missions who's objectives do not work correctly when playing via TG engine. These missions can all be played fully via TG if you replace convict.osm with the old convict.osm. This needs to be done ONLY when playing via FMsel as you must NOT place oldconvict.osm in your main Thief folder.

In the Brief Summaries tables I have included footnotes for all those missions that are affected by this T1/TG conflict.

Missions include:-
    Garrett's Revenge (any zip that does not have gold in it's title)
    Trickster's Return (when playing on expert only)
    Amida (but Voodoo managed to produce a dml to overcome this issue)
    Information
    Thanks fortuni

Southquarter.com/fms
    I see this thread died about 5 months ago - is the project dead too? Hoping that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I see this thread died about 5 months ago - is the project dead too? Hoping that's not the case.
    Hey Brethen. The project didn't die. I just don't have enough time to continue designing. You know.. family, job, life.

Please, be patient and glad to see you're waiting for it to be achieved
    Last edited by EnYB0La; 24th May 2018 at 22:45.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345