TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Terrible Treks

ZylonBane

Battle of the Terrible Treks

In this corner, an STD:

And in the opposing corner, ham-fisted Trek spoof The Orville:

Looks like they're both going to suck.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 12th Nov 2017 at 12:16. Reason: Reasons no longer apply

Moderator and Priest
    Eh. I'm not at all impressed with that trailer, but I'm still willing to give Discovery a chance, on the slim chance that maybe, hopefully, possibly, it'll turn out better than what we've been shown here.

Hasn't Star Trek always been batting about .500?
    (That's half good, half bad for you un-Americans.
    Not actually bad for baseball; debateably bad for TV & movies.)
    Even the good series have their share of flotsam.
    Then again even the bad series have interesting ideas.
    Lots of series also start off weak and get better after a season or two.
    So I wouldn't write it off just yet.

I wasn't impressed at all by the ST trailer. Looked like one of those fan made movies TBH.

The Orville one looked half decent.

My issue with this one (the ST trailer) is that you see several alien races in there that were never in the other shows, which in itself is a massive plot hole, and it doesn't feel very "Treky" other than the bit of music at the end. Enterprise when that was on, at least tried to fit within the established time line with it's plot.

So if this is set 10 years before the original ST, that would put it around the same time period as Enterprise wouldn't it?

Still Subjective
    Agree with ZB and was just talking about this the other day - they both look guff.

I'd really like some good sci-fi about now too.

Chakat sex pillow
    You've got The Expanse S2, if that's what you're hankering for.

As for the Treks: well, sigh. Let's see if Discovery is more than just lens flare and CGI. Michelle Yeoh as captain means it may have its heart in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    So if this is set 10 years before the original ST, that would put it around the same time period as Enterprise wouldn't it?
    Enterprise was about a century before TOS.

Nobody in Hollywood knows how to do Star Trek anymore, nor do they care. JJ Abrams is making money for them now, and that's the style they're going to ape. We will not see our Star Trek come out of Hollywood ever again.

just coming in here to say "you know what, star trek is pretty arse-wang, get over it"

haha zylonbane beat you to the punch

oh wait you actually care about star trek

last night i dreamt i wa ivenka trumps main squeeze, and i woke up really frighteneed

25 whores in the room nextdoor

Still Subjective
    And I need more.

Moderator and Priest
    MOAR HORS!

Still Subjective
    In the heat of the night, in the heat of the day

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    In this corner, an STD:
    This is terrible news! At 8:00pm I have always been able to trust CBS to act as my electronic babysitter for my 80 year old infant. She loves all the (seemingly endless) CSI shows, she's a bit bloodthirsty that way. Sci-Fi, however, is not in her wheelhouse at all. What is this CBS All Access that you speak of in strange whispers, brother? I'm hoping that it means it will not be a part of their broadcast/basic cable line-up. The Little Monster does not like change!

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    Nobody in Hollywood knows how to do Star Trek anymore, nor do they care. JJ Abrams is making money for them now, and that's the style they're going to ape. We will not see our Star Trek come out of Hollywood ever again.
    I never saw Enterprise, but wasn't that panned as 'not very Trek-like' too? Seems like Hollywood hasn't been able to do Trek in close to two decades. But Sulphur is right, there is The Expanse for decent sci-fi, although it's not quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by montag View Post
    This is terrible news! At 8:00pm I have always been able to trust CBS to act as my electronic babysitter for my 80 year old infant. She loves all the (seemingly endless) CSI shows, she's a bit bloodthirsty that way. Sci-Fi, however, is not in her wheelhouse at all. What is this CBS All Access that you speak of in strange whispers, brother? I'm hoping that it means it will not be a part of their broadcast/basic cable line-up. The Little Monster does not like change!
    Somehow PigLick's/SubJeff's random Sisters of Mercy interjection makes more sense than whatever this is.

Oh it wasnt random

Step one, let series run its course. Step two, turn on Netflix in five years and then decide. Worked for Enterprise.

Enterprise was ok. Got better as it went along. Had some great alternate reality episodes.

Southquarter.com/fms
    At least we still have this:

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

Until Paramount sues them like they sued the other fan ST show.

The discovery trailer doesn't really tell us much of what to expect, other than the show's aesthetics. Which were obviously going to be neither like TOS, nor like 90s-era Trek.

I'm cautiously hopeful anyway. James Frain will make a great Sarek, I think. Klingons look bizarre but, eh, they've already had one massive resdesign in trek history and their TNG look is a bit dated now.

altho: that's not the Discovery itself we see in the trailer. Why make a big deal of showing the Not-Discovery? I wonder if it will be wrecked early on for a big shocking moment.

My issue with this one (the ST trailer) is that you see several alien races in there that were never in the other shows, which in itself is a massive plot hole,?
    Why? Galaxy's a big place.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    In this corner, an STD:

Looks like they're both going to suck.

Since when has anything Seth McFarlane made been good for anything other than watching for easy laughs? Not the kind where you're laughing because it's funny, the kind where you're laughing because you're so high that any random thing makes you giggle.

And am I the only one who thinks that the first trailer looks more like a Mass Effect trailer than a Star Trek one?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Until Paramount sues them like they sued the other fan ST show.
    I think it would have happened by now, they've been at it since 2013. They're wrapping up their final 3 episodes, so nothing will likely happen at this point.

IIRC the other Star Trek project (Axanar) got C&D'd because they were overtly trying to profit on the Star Trek IP, running a crowdfunding campaign that exceeded their realistic requirements and using it to kickstart their development as a studio. Paramount seems okay with fan productions, just not exploiting their IP.