TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 132

Thread: Farcry 5: Because Everything Is Political!

  1. #1
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night

    Farcry 5: Because Everything Is Political!

    Farcry 6: Kansas.

    It'll use an engine primarily devoted to rendering photorealistic depictions of corn. And cousin fuckers.

  2. #2
    So basically it's a Republican murder simulator?

  3. #3
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    That's more Tea Party than Republican.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Farcry 6: Kansas.

    It'll use an engine primarily devoted to rendering photorealistic depictions of corn. And cousin fuckers.

    I have good friends from Kansas, you elitist fuck.

    Let me illustrate why you're a prejudiced, bigoted, asshole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Farcry 6: Kansas. Georgia

    It'll use an engine primarily devoted to rendering photorealistic depictions of corn Peach Trees. And cousin fuckers. black people smoking weed.

    Or how about

    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Farcry 6: Kansas. Syria

    It'll use an engine primarily devoted to rendering photorealistic depictions of corn Sand And cousin fuckers. Muslims fucking goats.
    Explain to me the difference.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 26th May 2017 at 11:12.

  5. #5
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    He doesnt need to because he was fucking joking, bloody hell man lighten up

  6. #6
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: Sulphur, whatever
    I'm pretty sure Renz will agree you don't just find 'em in Kansas. Take your misdirected indignation and rants somewhere where people care, Tony.

  7. #7
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    You know, despite Georgia's reputation, I've yet to see a single peach tree orchard? Hell, I don't think I've even seen a real peach tree, now that I think about it.

    Lots of pine trees, though. And cousin fuckers.

    edit: and trucks with lift kits.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 26th May 2017 at 13:14.

  8. #8
    PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    I bet you're real glad you can shoot them all in the face in Far Cry 5, amirite?
    Nah, when one third of USA's adult population is obese land whales that wouldn't be fair.

  9. #9
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: Pacific Northwest
    But what if the player is one of those obese land whales? Evens the scales a bit.

    Off the top of my head, I can't think of any first person shooter where you play as an obese person by default. Far Cry 5 should weigh in here.

  10. #10
    PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    All of that complaining about SJWs and people being offended about racism/sexism
    Racism is systematic so since white people hold a lot of the power in USA you can't be racist against white Americans. Ethnic minorities in USA can't be racist, only prejudiced.

    spoiler:
    I'm totally joking but there are actual people who do hold these opinions, I kid you not.

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Racism is systematic so since white people hold a lot of the power in USA you can't be racist against white Americans. Ethnic minorities in USA can't be racist, only prejudiced.

    spoiler:
    I'm totally joking but there are actual people who do hold these opinions, I kid you not.
    That's not a ridiculous statement, it's just drawing a distinction between prejudice against those whole hold power and privilege over you vs prejudice against those you hold power and privilege over. It's a useful distinction, and I have no interesting in getting into semantic debates over which words we should use to mean those things. 'Reverse racism isn't real' is good enough for me, I don't see a reason to invent another term for it.

  12. #12
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    That's not a ridiculous statement, it's just drawing a distinction between prejudice against those whole hold power and privilege over you vs prejudice against those you hold power and privilege over.
    But it's not making that distinction. It is, instead, generalizing and stereotyping that distinction to the point of absurdity. I don't really have a problem with arguing that "Black worker's prejudice against his white boss isn't racism (because it doesn't actually matter)" but when you claim that minorities can't be racist then you have to also defend things like "Asian boss refuses to promote black workers because of his racial prejudice, isn't racism", which is nonsense.

  13. #13
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Well, that's the distinction made by everyone I've ever met who holds that position. The original statement was that racism can't be directed against white Americans specifically - whether minorities can be racist towards each other is a completely different issue. The statement was never 'minorities can't be racist', it was that you can't be racist against the race that's the dominant power in your society because there are too many other factors built into that (i.e. power imbalances) for it to ever come from a place of pure prejudice. So yes, your hypothetical strawman is indeed nonsense, but no one actually made that argument - nor have I ever met someone who has.

    edit: Case in point pulled right off my Facebook feed today:
    Racism isn't the same thing as "racial angst". Just as women are often more vocal in their opposition to sexism, rape, and FGM than are the men responsible for perpetuating them, people of color are more motivated to tear down the societal structures that perpetuate racism. Racism isn't a feeling or an isolated activity or a poorly mannered person. It is a structure of power and advantage that disproportionately benefits white people at the expense of people of color.
    Last edited by froghawk; 27th May 2017 at 11:41.

  14. #14
    Well, if you still think that people who identify as left leaning are more tolerant, go to that Kotaku article and check out the comments section.

    There's a lot of them Gleeful over the prospect of getting to kill people just because they don't like the politics of those people. In a game, for sure, but there's a disturbing number of commenters stating directly or indirectly that they want to do it in real life but don't want to deal with the consequences.

    That's not a ridiculous statement, it's just drawing a distinction between prejudice against those whole hold power and privilege over you vs prejudice against those you hold power and privilege over. It's a useful distinction, and I have no interesting in getting into semantic debates over which words we should use to mean those things. 'Reverse racism isn't real' is good enough for me, I don't see a reason to invent another term for it.
    I don't think you understand the definition of "racism".

    rac·ism
    ˈrāˌsizəm/Submit
    noun:
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
    "a program to combat racism"
    Nowhere in that definition is the requirement that the race being discriminated against lack "power and privilege". Both white power ideologies and black ideologies that claim only only Black people are "real humans" while white people are "mutants" fall under that definition.

    Technically speaking, "systemic racism" would be an accurate terminology if used to describe the concept that societal structures are set up to perpetuate a racist ideology. That doesn't equate to it being impossible for the underprivileged to hold racist attitudes.


    Nevermind that the entire conversation is stupid. Everyone's talking about trying to "eliminate white privilege" when we SHOULD be focusing on economic empowerement and independence of minority families. Y'alls narrative doesn't solve any problems other than how to stir up votes for American Democrats.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 27th May 2017 at 16:48.

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    That's not a ridiculous statement, it's just drawing a distinction between prejudice against those whole hold power and privilege over you vs prejudice against those you hold power and privilege over. It's a useful distinction, and I have no interesting in getting into semantic debates over which words we should use to mean those things. 'Reverse racism isn't real' is good enough for me, I don't see a reason to invent another term for it.
    I can see the use in an academic context for that distinction, but the way I see it invoked in the real world always seems like a bait and switch- 'my prejudice is acceptable because it does not meet one definition of racism', when really it's the racial prejudice that people have a problem with, whether that prejudice is backed with power or not. Like, if someone were accused of racism for saying 'I hate white people' and their defense was 'technically I can't be racist by academic definition, I'm just a racially prejudiced bigot', well, that's not much of a defense.

    Anyways, color me interested in this game with a dash of wariness. I think militias and religious sects are underused as gaming antagonists- I'm trying to think of anything besides horror games that have featured Branch Davidian-esque antagonists.

  16. #16
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Again, I said I have no interest whatsoever in arguing the semantics of what terms you want to use for these things. It's a waste of time.

    And Tony, the left has never had any interest in 'tolerance'. That's some neoliberal PC nonsense used to mask policies that hurt minorities, not an actual leftist position. You clearly have no idea what my narrative actually is, but feel free to keep directing your posts at a liberal strawman anyway.
    Last edited by froghawk; 27th May 2017 at 17:23.

  17. #17
    They've shown up a couple of times. GTA V had a number of missions for Trevor Phillips where he interacts with a variety of militia/right wing inspired types, and in each instance he starts off by playing along with the crazy before eventually getting pissed off murdering them all violently.

    All that aside, the fury over this game taps into one of the big reasons why I don't play contemporary shooters anymore. After actually deploying I find Call of Duty and it's ilk to be completely and utterly tasteless. I only make exceptions in theory ( in practice I don't want to spend the money/time) for more "simulation" type games such as Arma that are less about glorifying warfare and more about trying to accurately portray what a conflict is like. I also made an exception for Spec Ops: The Line because that game has a story that deconstructs your typical war shooter.

    Fictionalized conflicts are one thing, but it's something else entirely to glorify jingoism whether that be against muslims or other Americans.


    And Tony, the left has never had any interest in 'tolerance'. That's some neoliberal PC nonsense used to mask policies that hurt minorities, not an actual leftist position. You clearly have no idea what my narrative actually is, but feel free to keep directing your posts at a liberal strawman anyway.
    Not referring strictly to you there, bad verbiage. Although the phrase you invoked, "used to mask....", implies that you do admit there is an attempt at establishing a consistent narrative for the movement.

  18. #18
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Not referring strictly to you there, bad verbiage. Although the phrase you invoked, "used to mask....", implies that you do admit there is an attempt at establishing a consistent narrative for the movement.
    You do realize that neoliberals aren't the usual set of liberals you're always so anxiously framing as your oppressors, right?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    You do realize that neoliberals aren't the usual set of liberals you're always so anxiously framing as your oppressors, right?
    I think the question is whether YOU understand what neoliberals actually are..or for that matter that he does either, but why not run with it?

    That aside it's a moot point, since I believe that a lot of your run of the mill college leftists are just useful idiots for the so called "liberals"( more like fascists) who advocate policies like bombing brown people who dare to produce oil without OPEC's blessing.

    For whether liberals are doing anything, I challenge you to name just ONE globally powerful institution that is controlled by Conservatives. The only thing you can probably name is "Trump". Every major corporation, the overwhelming majority of NGO's, and almost every Western government espouses progressive ideology. Conservatives can not "oppress" because they lack the power to oppress anyone outside of their own neighborhood.


    That said....let's be realistic here.

    Far Cry 4 was a flop. Far Cry Primal was even worse.

    What they're trying to do is pump out one more sequel for the game, and they're hoping stirring up controversy in order to keep up at least some sales for it. The only group they can be blatantly prejudiced against without being torn to shreds by the gaming press is white Christians, so that's who they're going to target.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 28th May 2017 at 20:29.

  20. #20
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    What they're trying to do is pump out one more sequel for the game, and they're hoping stirring up controversy in order to keep up at least some sales for it. The only group they can be blatantly prejudiced against without being torn to shreds by the gaming press is white Christians, so that's who they're going to target.
    Oh please, quit being such a victim. No one complained about any of the settings in the previous Far Crys, which included everyone from black people to sherpas, and the only people who ever once dared to complain are you chip-on-your-shoulders bunch who think that making this most recent rev about a bunch of Montanans fighting back against a cult tearing through their town somehow serves as proof of this liberal conspiracy against white Christians.

    Hell, by this point, I wouldn't be surprised if you thought Bioshock Infinite was communist propaganda.

    I swear. You're worse than those obnoxious college kids running around screaming cultural appropriation over everything. At least they're attempting to consider other people's feelings, misguided and overwrought though their notions may occasionally be. You're just looking for excuses to explain why YOU'RE the real victim.

  21. #21
    How about you quit being a presumptious, self-narcissistic, bigoted asshole?

    It's not as if Ubisoft has a record for stirring up attention with it's games or anything.

    Also has it ever occurred to you that the reason nobody ever complained about the settings of the previous Far Crys is that they simply weren't big-name games until after the third one in the series was released?

    And that some of those titles DID get people pissed off at them for those controversies?



    Funny how you also claim it's a "conspiracy".

    I challenge you to point out where I alleged that they're members of some sinister conspiracy. The only allegation I made is that they're aware enough of social conditions to know what they can and can't get away with.


    as proof of this liberal conspiracy against white Christians.
    THIS quote right here is why you're much stupider than you think you are. Nobody is alleging a "liberal conspiracy". I don't allege any conspiracy because most donors and think tanks that support progressive causes are very open about what direction they want to see society moving in, ergo a "conspiracy" is impossible. In fact I think it's you who has previously defended the existence of some massive right-wing conspiracy to oppress minorities.

    Widespread prejudice and hatred isn't a "conspiracy" and if you seriously think they are the same thing you're an idiot. If you're trying to obfuscate the two then you're a lying sack of shit and are much more like Trump than you think.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 29th May 2017 at 16:15.

  22. #22
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: Qantas
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    What they're trying to do is pump out one more sequel for the game, and they're hoping stirring up controversy in order to keep up at least some sales for it. The only group they can be blatantly prejudiced against without being torn to shreds by the gaming press is white Christians, so that's who they're going to target.
    What's so controversial about it? The antagonists are a CULT.

    I think we've over-done the counter-terrorism shooters, had enough of going after warlords, pirates, smugglers, and crime bosses, and way too many aliens and zombies. We've had FPS's with the North Koreans as the bad guys, and Russian nationalists, and a whole lot of WWII. We've probably had every kind of villain you can think of in video games at this point, why NOT a cult?

    From my point of view, this cult could potentially (if they don't screw it up) be one of the more interesting villains we've seen in a while. Because it's set in some version of present day Montana, and not on some fictitious island or country or some historical setting, we might be more invested in the story than in previous Far Cry games. And are you going to feel empathy for the cultists? Are they really bad guys or just good people that have been brainwashed? How will that affect how you play?

  23. #23
    That said I don't think you can reasonably argue that progressives are the dominant cultural force. Same challenge applies...name ONE major American institution where social conservatives have been successfully advancing their own agenda and can reasonably described as the dominant force. Then name ONE global institution.

    You can't.

  24. #24
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    How about you quit being a presumptious, self-narcissistic, bigoted asshole?
    How about you quit bitching, and trying to force social drama where there is none?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    What's so controversial about it? The antagonists are a CULT. ?
    They're a cult in the same way that the badguys in Call of Duty games are just "Terrorists" and not "Muslims".

    The interview they posted with the developer even hinted that the situation in the game is supposed to be an anti Trump voter message.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •