TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Travel etiquette tips from your country

I don't know. When I spent my holidays in Greece during the height of the financial crisis I ended up discussing these things with many Greeks. And the consensus of all of them was: Politics is one thing, the people are another. We may not like what the German government is demanding (austerity), but we will never hold it against you personally.
    Seeing how they deal with all those refugees washing up at their shores, I know this wasn't just because I brought money as a tourist. They have a deeply ingrained humanity that other European countries could learn a lot from.

BANNED
    I think politeness and respect to other people cultural values are the most important in any country. And a smile

Stanlee, one would think a smile would be universal, but in places like Japan if you smile in public, they will think you are a loony tune It is one of the reasons women cover their mouths while smiling or laughing. There are some very different cultural norms that we as westerners would think are strange. In Korea, do not show the soles of your shoes. Very bad form. And even in the “west” there are differences. Waving in Greece with an open palm is considered rude. It is more of a “go away” signal than a nice gesture of “hi”.

Nevertheless, being polite and having respect goes a long way. One thing I never want to be is one of those “ugly Americans”. I am embarrassed when traveling and some loud cock bags are acting like idiots at another table. Yelling, demanding, acting with a superior attitude. UGH! Soccer hooligans have nothing on some American tourists.

Renz you bastard. You have gone this long without a word about the south. Some warning would be in order wouldn't you say? Okay, we are overly religious. I say overly because any area that can frequent a Chick Filet because it is against gays is way overly to me. In some ways I appreciate the sense of community religion gives but mostly I feel they are the most hypocritical unselfevaluating holier than thou asses to grace the planet and, if it were not for the Muslims, the most strident and unforgiving. I'm serious. The most unable to face themselves in a mirror and give an accurate accounting you have ever met. I'm the exception as I have taken my accounting as a challenge. Avoid any of that damn high brow evaluation of possible meanings or mention of the bible as anything but absolute blunt truth from a blunt mind.

Okay. Bars. I'm not as up on this as I used to be so tell me where I ere Renz. The music is too loud to hold any conversation beyond "do you want to fuck" beyond seven P.M. Expect an asshole. Expect more than one if you have a beautiful woman with you. It's true you can turn the conversation to hunting or football but who actually wants to mollify an ass? Some back off when they see you will gleefully break a glass against their heads and some will not. Some need proof. Being a yankee in a southern bar is the same as being a southerner. They may be the most erudite and urbane of gentlemen elsewhere but they need to be told you will skullfuck their carcass sometimes in a bar. Or shown.

I'm not saying you won't run into the most elegant of intellectuals and have a wonderful time discussing Descartes or the particulars of a Mars mission but you always have to expect an asshole and deal with them on the only terms they appreciate. If it helps I've only had a handful of full blown fights and you folks know how I am. You WILL run into an ass at a bar though and more so than any other country I would gauge.

We are touchers. We slap a shoulder or hug or hold a chin in a hand as we look in your eyes. Mostly we do this only after we have gotten to know you or after the second pitcher of beer. We are sometimes loud and propound things we only half understand. But also we are sentimental sops and will go out of our way to give you a place to sleep or a ride home for a kind or understanding word. I love us and hate us in equal measure and that quite a lot. We vex ourselves so I can only feel sympathy for what we do to other cultures.

There is more but I feel Renz owes some detail here. Step up you side stepping man of the world and own your heritage.

Moderator and Priest
    Some tips and tricks to surviving the Deep South? Alright, Tocky. I can do this.

Don't go to snake handling churches.

If you're black, you'll probably be alright, but wear a trucker cap, just in case.

Chic-Fil-A might hate the gays, but they do have some good chicken. Though they never give you nearly enough to justify the price.

Southern Baptists really are the worst. They're also the ones who usually run the snake handling churches.

The Presbyterians are pretty alright, though.

If someone comes up to you, and says "bless your heart", they're insulting you. Violence is the only appropriate response to this.

I once saw an Audi with a lift kit. This is out culture.

If you come from anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line, people will make fun of your accent. I will be one of these people.

Despite the South being one of the biggest demographics for immigration hardliners, we probably have the highest concentration of Mexican restaurants anywhere in the world outside of Mexico (which doesn't count, cuz Mexican restaurants are just regular restaurants there). Without fail, every single one of these restaurants has a kitchen staffed by little 5 foot tall people who walk about bussing table, and do nothing but smile at you if you say anything to them. You can guarantee that at least, at least half of these people are here illegally. No one cares, though, because Mexican restaurants are always packed. Damn our stances and standards, cuz tacos.

"Tu hablar Ingles?"
    "No habla Ingles."
    "K."
    "Que?"

Plus some other stuff. I'll add more later.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 12th Jun 2017 at 03:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    If someone comes up to you, and says "bless your heart", they're insulting you. Violence is the only appropriate response to this.
    Damn, I was down south a year ago and wish I knew. I think I head the waitress say it once. Now I'll know to stand up, throw my ice water in her face, followed by a swift punch to the nose among the confusion,

Despite the South being one of the biggest demographics for immigration hardliners, we probably have the highest concentration of Mexican restaurants
    Is it the same grease-and-cheese dripping tex-mex crap I'd see in most Tucson Mexican restaurants?

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, you should've kicked her ass, Yak.

And it depends on where you're eating at, since some places are more authentic than others. Though I would say almost all of them lean a bit in the Tex-Mex/Santa Fe direction.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by bjack View Post
    Stanlee, one would think a smile would be universal, but in places like Japan if you smile in public, they will think you are a loony tune It is one of the reasons women cover their mouths while smiling or laughing. There are some very different cultural norms that we as westerners would think are strange. In Korea, do not show the soles of your shoes. Very bad form. And even in the “west” there are differences. Waving in Greece with an open palm is considered rude. It is more of a “go away” signal than a nice gesture of “hi”.

Nevertheless, being polite and having respect goes a long way. One thing I never want to be is one of those “ugly Americans”. I am embarrassed when traveling and some loud cock bags are acting like idiots at another table. Yelling, demanding, acting with a superior attitude. UGH! Soccer hooligans have nothing on some American tourists.
    bjack,
    I off course agree with you globally, what I meant is just generally if your attitude is positive, you treat people well (whatever weird they or their culture seem to you) everything is going to be fine! Remembered after your example about smile, a friend of mine is of Russian origine, and he also says that people don't usually smile at strangers there, that would more mean that either you are crazy or you are laughing at person

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlee View Post
    bjack,
    people don't usually smile at strangers there, that would more mean that either you are crazy or you are laughing at person
    I hear it is the same in New York but here in the south it just means you live near. Also that you are crazy and laughing at that person and to hell with what they think sometimes. The thing is THAT is okay. Laughed at? Big deal. Crazy? Been called worse.

You know one of the things I like best about the south? We have good stories. We have lived them. We have done incredibly stupid things and enjoyed doing them. I think in the back of our minds is not the actual experience of a thing but the story we will be able to tell afterward. That has good and bad consequences. It spurs stupid behavior and adds a spice to life. Stupid we have plenty of in good measure. I bemoan that. Ah but the spice is life itself. Stories. I love stories. Personal true stories. I don't give a shit if it is impossible to believe. Hell, that just makes it better. "If it ain't true it ought to be" said Elvis and there you go. Most impossible stuff is true anyway. I've rethought a lot of the stories old guys have told over the years and found I believe them.

Faulkner and Larry Brown? Man those guys wrote about my secret soul. My stomping grounds. My deep backwoods soul and all the traditions right and wrong. We will never see the like of those who passed before and they will be cursed by those who follow but they will never understand. I do. Some of those old guys stamped me more deeply than the world ever will. I celebrate those small details in my memory. This land and these hills and the history only me and a few know left alive and will die once they are gone tie me to this place. A place in decline and if only I recognize the pity of it then so be it. I remember. I keep the unrecognized treasure of it buried in the salt of my body that will one day be buried here. That too is the South.