TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let the Summer Sales commence

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    Yeah, my meaning is that it's awesome. I rented the crap out of that game. I'll be picking this up shortly.
    Good. The only thing I can badmouth it over is Tailspin, which...yeah, I guess someone somewhere had fun with it, but I never played, it, and it hasn't impressed me much.

But on that same note, I never played Ducktales 2 back when, and I'm finding it to be a better game than the much beloved original. I will find all the map pieces. I WILL!

Currently on holiday; when I get back I'll get four or five things off my wishlist. I've become more hesitant to buy lots of new games, especially the long ones, because I've got such a backlog of epic games.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    I'm touting it everywhere, but may as well do so here. If you haven't already bought it (and Steam tells me only a couple of you taffers have), BUY HITMAN.
    It's a better immersive sim than the latest Deus Ex or Dishonored games!
    Just picked this up based off your recommendation and am a few missions in. To be honest I went cold on the series after the 3rd one (although I may have played a bit of Contracts as well if I recall correctly), but this is a great return to form; I'm fact, the gameplay seems even better so far.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    To be honest I went cold on the series after the 3rd one (although I may have played a bit of Contracts as well if I recall correctly), but this is a great return to form; I'm fact, the gameplay seems even better so far.
    I think it took me about 100hrs or maybe more to reach mastery 20 on all missions. And then they patched Pro mode in. Now I have to replay the game to get max mastery in Pro mode.

PS: You can't enable Pro until you get mastery 20 in standard mode. Controversial decision, but perhaps justified. Pro is considerably harder and would be too tough for people without proper experience and knowledge of a map, I think.
    Last edited by 242; 26th Jun 2017 at 08:00.

Thing What Kicks
    It just gets better over time as well. Treat the Opportunities like tutorials to reveal different ways of killing targets and learning schedules, and over time, you'll come up with your own ways to insert yourself into the intricate clockwork that makes up the levels. Even Blood Money, the previous best game in the series, felt a little too obscure in providing info. But this one gives you the obvious ones so you can gradually spot other, hidden opportunities. It trains you to be a better 47.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    It just gets better over time as well. Treat the Opportunities like tutorials
    I recommend to turn them off in the options, immediately. They are spoilers. As it is with unlimited saves, the game is quite easy in normal mode without them. And with them, it seems like a game for mentally challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth (75%)
    I was thinking of posting here to recommended this - it's a great game (if rather buggy), and it's a steal for 1.25.
    I replayed it recently, and immediately wanted to steal ideas from it for my own game.

To play it on modern systems, you need to get DCoTE Tools, a fan-made patcher.
    You'll want the options "Skip the blue light bug!" and "Double time for escape sequence", as those two bugs make the game almost unwinnable, and sadly they were never properly fixed.

Also, strongly recommend that you change the affinity of the game to only use a single core (either through task manager or via that tool that used to be around) - the game has a habit of crashing if you don't.

Oh, and if you have trouble with the ends of conversation lines sometimes being cut off, you can turn on subtitles, though they do diminish the atmosphere a little.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    And with them, it seems like a game for mentally challenged.
    Careful with the hyperbole there old chap. I know you're not really calling me "mentally challenged", but it could be taken that way.

Picked up Shadow of Mordor - neat, but I am getting slaughtered. There's a million orcs everywhere so I get swarmed. Finally manage to take one chief that only had a small group around him. However, I had to pick all the guards stealthy first. I'm kind of not looking forward to heaving to stealth-pick 20-40 orcs each time I want to fight a chief tho :/

Also just grabbed South Park Stick of Truth, downloading now.

Try to get chiefs outside of the fortresses, since those tend to have huge armies of respawning footsoldiers in them. Also worth levelling up some skills before going after too many.

Thing What Kicks
    Also try to make sure your sword has some health-on-kill mods on it. That really helps survivability,

Getting some skills, upgrading your weapons with various runes and getting into the flow of combat can make even a massive army seem like a cakewalk in SoM. Remember that progressing in the story also unlocks various skills that will make things easier. The difficult bits are chiefs with ability sets that counter your playstyle.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, but I also like those chiefs, as they make you think on the fly. At maximum level with really good gear, the crowded melee becomes a puzzle, especially when more than one boss joins the fight (which seems inevitable in most fights).
    Okay, so THAT one's immune to finishers but terrified or Caragors; another one pushes me on my arse whenever I try to jump over its head but is prone to finishers; that other one's immune to ranged, but runs when set on fire.
    It's a wonderful dance, and I think it actually out-Batmans Batman.

Moderator and Priest
    I've decided to cave, and buy one...ONE...expensive game for the Summer sale. I've narrowed down my options between Nier: Automata, or Resident Evil 7.

Which would you all recommend between the two?

edit: Yeah, I got impatient, and bought RE7. I'll save Nier for the Winter sale.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 27th Jun 2017 at 18:54.

Chakat sex pillow
    I don't think you can go wrong with either, but N:A definitely needs you to put in a bit of work to enjoy it, whereas Resi just slaps the shit out of you from the get-go. Good approaches, but each works for a different mood.

Moderator and Priest
    If there's one thing that really surprises me about RE7, which, yeah, shouldn't surprise me in the least, is how Resident Evil it is. It's basically RE1 souped up, hopped up, and made ready for modern generations.

No, I don't consider this a bad thing. Though from my experiences with the demo, I was expecting more of a breakaway from the old formula.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's a good return to form. Sure, it's not as cheesy without Mikami around, but they've managed to refresh the formula successfully. I think we can thank P.T. and A:I and the like for survival horror's welcome return.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I've decided to cave, and buy one...ONE...expensive game for the Summer sale. I've narrowed down my options between Nier: Automata, or Resident Evil 7.

Which would you all recommend between the two?

edit: Yeah, I got impatient, and bought RE7. I'll save Nier for the Winter sale.

Well, RE7 is too short and has low replayability from what I read, much shorter and lower than RE456. It's too pricey for what it proposes, even with current sale, IMO. I would go with Nier: Automata instead, and buy RE7 when all DLCs are out.

But Nier: Automata is quite specific game, you should like hectic slashers to enjoy it.
    Last edited by 242; 28th Jun 2017 at 05:27.

Moderator and Priest
    I've heard it's about 9-10 hours, which, given the type of game it is, is more than enough for me. Though I do think you're right about the replayability. It's a great game, but I imagine you'll see and find most everything on your first playthrough.

But damn, those first two hours. It was almost worth the price of admission just for the opening.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hey Renz, since you've played both, should I get Hollow Knight or Dead Cells?

Moderator and Priest
    Oh, damn, that's a difficult one. The best thing you could do is spend the $25 to get both.

...but, if I absolutely had to choose one, I'd go with Hollow Knight for now, since Dead Cells is still a WIP. Though keep in mind that if both were out and complete right now, I dunno if I'd be able to weigh one over the other.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards Hollow Knight too, because it's finished, and cheaper.

Still Subjective
    Now tempted by Dishonored 2 but as I lack time to play it atm I might leave it until it's one sale for even less.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I've heard it's about 9-10 hours, which, given the type of game it is, is more than enough for me. Though I do think you're right about the replayability. It's a great game, but I imagine you'll see and find most everything on your first playthrough.

But damn, those first two hours. It was almost worth the price of admission just for the opening.
    Indeed it is. But I will say the the disappointing final act and short runtime (7.5hrs for me) has left a void in my soul. I want more!

As far as replayability goes, there are 2 endings, but it's a binary choice sort of situation. Beyond that, it's just collectibles....

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Now tempted by Dishonored 2 but as I lack time to play it atm I might leave it until it's one sale for even less.
    Get it, well worth 20 bucks, you won't regret it.