TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the Summer Sales commence

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Let the Summer Sales commence

Summer Sale season is here and GOG is first to the party.

https://www.gog.com/
    $30 USD for Witcher 3: GOTY, that's a mint price for dozens of hours of content! Only downside is that you'll have to put up with a poor man's Steam client, GOG Galaxy.

Rebel Galaxy, from the makers of Torchlight, is free with your first purchase from GOG sale.

Moderator and Priest
    What's wrong with Galaxy? It installs your games, and let you manage them. Can't get much more straightforward than that.

Or better yet, you can still go client free and just install the game and be done with it

Moderator and Priest
    The client does make things more convenient, though.

Taking a break
    I already got the Witcher 3 expansion pass from them during the last sale. Haven't gotten round to playing yet but I expect great things from the 10 minutes I tried earlier.

Have to hand it to CDPR. They're one of the few developers who know how to write characters that have more depth than a Tom Brady cardboard cutout.

If you've not played Satelite Reign yet, I'd recommend picking that up (GOG). 85% off currently. 75% for Syndicate (the good one).

I tend to patronize GOG for their exclusives, and most of those are at a pretty meh 40% off, hopefully they'll cycle them deeper over the duration of the sale. Could just be they are too new at the moment. Additionally, Interplay and Activision are in the process of bringing a lot of them over to Steam, so kinda waiting on all that.

By the way, GOG Connect has a bunch of new games up to nab, if you haven't noticed yet.

Thing What Kicks
    Yoink!
    Hard West is $5.78!
    Been umm-ing and ahh-ing about that for a while, and that price is enough for me to take the plunge.

Grabbed both Freedom Force games (and the free copy of Rebel Galaxy) so I have a backup for my CD versions.

I bought Quake 1 (with the expansions included) on GOG. I played it years ago, but that was when I still pirated games and it didn't have the music included.

This will be the first time I'm playing it with the NiN music, or should I say ambient soundscape. I'm also going to apply certain bells & whistles (graphics mods) to make it look better, but I'm still deciding which particular bells & whistles to apply. I've found a version called Quake Epsilon, which is the Darkplaces engine with a lot of graphics mods applied. It looks great, but regrettably it plays the music wrong, the right tracks don't play at the right time and the tracks don't loop but play in sequence. Can't figure out how to fix that, I've Googled for it to no avail.

I picked up the Solus Project cos it was cheap, and something I have wanted to check out.

Sounds like we might be getting dangerously close to another Secret Santa, Christmas in July version...

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    What's wrong with Galaxy?
    It does not do incremental updates of game-files. It just copies a complete new file over the old one. And therefor it just downloads complete files, even if there was only a 1 byte change. Not fun if you have only 6 Mbps download.

Also, it insisted on itself being installed in my C: partition. It also wants to download all patch files to the C: partition first. Not fun if you did a proper install of Windows and made it so that only the OS is on C: and everything else is somewhere else. I couldn't install patches because C: wasn't big enough. I had to mess with directory junctions to make it work.

Next time I'll buy a game that needs to be installed via Steam of GOG, I'm buying the Steam version.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    I bought Quake 1 (with the expansions included) on GOG. I played it years ago, but that was when I still pirated games and it didn't have the music included.

This will be the first time I'm playing it with the NiN music, or should I say ambient soundscape. I'm also going to apply certain bells & whistles (graphics mods) to make it look better, but I'm still deciding which particular bells & whistles to apply. I've found a version called Quake Epsilon, which is the Darkplaces engine with a lot of graphics mods applied. It looks great, but regrettably it plays the music wrong, the right tracks don't play at the right time and the tracks don't loop but play in sequence. Can't figure out how to fix that, I've Googled for it to no avail.
    Hmm. I was doing a play through of Quake 1 with Darkplaces and a gfx enhancement to it (Quake HD project I think it was called). Made the game look great sure. But it was SO DIFFERENT that it didn't look like Quake anymore. I dunno. I was in two minds playing it. For me all the music worked fine, once I set it up to work properly in Darkplaces.

Prior to that play through, I'd not played Quake 1 in like 15 years or more. I'd forgotten how fast that game is. Fast like Doom is.

Thing What Kicks
    On a related note, Trent Reznor's releasing a vinyl reissue of the Quake soundtrack. Not sure how you'd get that to sync with the game mind you

Icemann: maybe I'll forego all these extra mods and just play Quake in Darkplaces, or I'll see how it looks in QuakeSpasm. I already got the music working correctly in Darkplaces, but for some reason in the Epsilon version it doesn't work as it should. That's a deal-breaker for me, I want the correct tracks playing at the correct levels and just one track per level.

Given the amount of times we seem to talk about Quake, we should probably make a dedicated thread for it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Picked up Interstate 76 (which I somehow didn't already have) in the GOG sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    What's wrong with Galaxy? It installs your games, and let you manage them. Can't get much more straightforward than that.
    Indeed. Galaxy just updated to v1.2 and I see it even has a screenshot function now! Between that, auto-updates, and built-in forums it's starting to have all the features of Steam that I love. Not bad, GOG!

My Galaxy buddy list is a ghost town tho. I'm raindawg, add me!

yeh its actually pretty good now, works well and is discreet

Moderator and Priest
    Henke is now my friend.

Level 10,000 achieved
    YAY! I HAVE 3 FRIENDS!

Moderator and Priest
    WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU, HENKE! WE KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Grabbed both Freedom Force games (and the free copy of Rebel Galaxy) so I have a backup for my CD versions.
    Great taste in games I see.

So just to let you guys know. I received an email from steam a few days ago about discounts for the upcoming summer sale.

It begins June 22nd and runs to July 5th.

Easy for you to say!

EDIT: There was a post in-between mine and icemann's, which was nothing but gibberish. Can't remember who posted it now. That's why I said what I said.
    Last edited by Trance; 11th Jun 2017 at 18:13.