TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E3 2017 IS HAPPENING

I've only watched the EA conference so far.

"A Way Out" looks ok, but not one I'd ever play. It's a bit of a rip off of "Prison Break" if anything. Star Wars Battlefront 2 finally bringing the singleplayer back is a good sign.

The Bethesda conference is next on my list to watch.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    DOOM VFR (haha, good title)
    YUP. I'm onboard with that.
    Except... with Bethesda / Zenimax currently doing their douchebag legal thing and suing Oculus, they've only announced it for Vive and PSVR. Now sure, that doesn't mean there won't be workarounds in place in order to play on Oculus, but it's still a dick move.

I swear, Robert J. Altman makes Bobby Kotick look like Mother Theresa.

Level 10,000 achieved
    True.

Sad news if DOOM VFR and Fallout 4 VR don't get Oculus support. They'd be giving up quite a bit of revenue just to spite Oculus.

Let's hope ZeniMax's moneygrubbiness wins out over their assholeishness.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Yeah, it won't let you embed unless you use the full URL on the video page instead of the youtu.be shortened version. I haven't figured out a way to make time tags work with embedded videos, though someone here may have an answer to that.

Which day are From Software making their announcements? It will be interesting to see if there is any truth behind the Phantom Wail rumour

Level 10,000 achieved
    I guess there's a chance anything From announces will be part of the Playstation conference(consult the chart in post 1).

Curious to see whether Bethesda will really give the finger to Rift users. I don't know of any Vive exclusives that weren't useable on OR, although often with annoying control issues. It'd be sheer pettiness and bad business practice if they really tried to keep the games Vive-only.

Thing What Kicks
    That's how Zenimax / Bethesda behave in the courts Thirith. They're still trying to stop Oculus selling the Rift full-stop due to their claims about it containing some of their code.

I've decided to stop buying their games as a matter of principal now, and I'm uneasy about having bought Dishonored 2. A new Wolfenstein by Machine Games is very exciting, but I just can't bring myself to support Zenimax / Bethesda knowing their business practises.

Yeah, it's a tricky one: punish the publisher and you also punish the developer; reward the publisher and most of the reward actually goes to the publisher. In addition, Oculus also did some questionable things with respect to forced exclusivity - which is their right, but I think it did more damage to them and to VR as a whole than it did good.

Apparently Bethesda is back with the paid mods thing. It didn't go over too well the last time, but I guess the prospect of skimming profits off of other people's work is too tantalizing to give up. One could argue that it's nice that mod makers can get paid for their work, but they can and do already put up PayPal links, and mod makers' benefit is likely very low on the list of reasons Beth keeps insisting on this. It just changes the whole dynamic of the modding scene, and I can't imagine it being for the better, but I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Thing What Kicks
    And you can guarantee that the legalese used to publish anything through Bethesda's method will contain numerous clauses claiming that the author's work and IP now belongs to Bethesda.

Chakat sex pillow
    RE: underhanded publisher moves, I feel the same way about Activision. I've pretty much boycotted everything they publish, yet I've made two exceptions in Diablo 3 and CoD: IW. (Don't judge me too harshly, I got it for the Modern Warfare remake which is apparently yet to be decoupled from the IW Deluxe edition. As far as publisher business sense goes, good financial call, that.)

On balance, both are pretty much lapses of judgement even though I loved the originators of these IPs, and that's why I chose to get these titles. But CoD: MW's core dev team is with EA, and much of Blizzard North are elsewhere, maybe a few still with Runic, so that logic doesn't stand. Yet I have to admit that both of these (well, not IW, which is more or less competent but unexciting) are well-made games, and the developers did deserve recompense. Still doesn't sit well with me though, as I think Acti's a blight on the industry, and it's a shame to have good studios shackled to them. What to do? Bilk them by purchasing from a decent key reseller like cdkeys? Get 'em on sale? That's what I did, but it's still a slippery slope.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 12th Jun 2017 at 09:24.

Quote Originally Posted by reizak View Post
    Apparently Bethesda is back with the paid mods thing. It didn't go over too well the last time, but I guess the prospect of skimming profits off of other people's work is too tantalizing to give up. One could argue that it's nice that mod makers can get paid for their work, but they can and do already put up PayPal links, and mod makers' benefit is likely very low on the list of reasons Beth keeps insisting on this. It just changes the whole dynamic of the modding scene, and I can't imagine it being for the better, but I guess we'll see how it turns out.
    From what I've heard, it's less paid mods and more third-party DLC, although it's not like there's a clear-cut line between the one and the other. I don't have a problem with this in principle, although I absolutely agree that in practice it can be shady, shitty or simply pointless. If it's a combination of the latter three, Bethesda will mainly hurt itself IMO.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Re: Dishonored 2 DLC, still not happy with the change of VA for the Outsider, so it will be good to see him buy the farm!

I remember, one of the very first leaks of Dishonored 2 said that we'll get to kill the Outsider. It turned out to be fake, but interestingly, that's where we're headed.

Btw, in case anyone missed the madness that is the Devolver Digital E3 presentation, you can watch it here. Probably NSFW. Very probably.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah! Not bad, Devolver, nod bad. Not great either, but there were a few solid laugh out loud moments there, and the finale is great. By the standards of usual E3 presentations it's a goddamn masterpiece.

Actually, I liked Bethesda's storybook approach to their presentation as well. Is this the year that companies finally start figuring out how to do entertaining presentations and move away from the practice of having folks with no business being up there doing applause breaks for applause that never will arrive? MAYBE!

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    My dudes, Metro: Exodus will be open world sandbox survival. STALKER 2 is finally coming.
    https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/11...exodus-xbox-e3
    I really do not want to set myself up for a disappointment... but that just might be the closest thing we'll ever get to stalker2. Fingers crossed. I like the Metro series anyway so it's nice to see that they're expanding it. But that's a surprise, I thought they were working on some open-world sci-fi game.

Other than that, I'll definitively check out the Dishonored 2 DLC. Not sure about Wolf2. TNO was a massive letdown on so many levels for me. Hopefully Machinegames have figured out how to create some proper pacing this time.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    From what I've heard, it's less paid mods and more third-party DLC, although it's not like there's a clear-cut line between the one and the other. I don't have a problem with this in principle, although I absolutely agree that in practice it can be shady, shitty or simply pointless. If it's a combination of the latter three, Bethesda will mainly hurt itself IMO.
    "3rd party DLC" is pretty much curated paid mods. The last time Beth tried paid mods they were uncurated so that's where the absolute cluster fuck came in. Eg stolen mods being monetised.

I don't see any problem with the current incarnation. Games like CS:GO, Dota 2, TF2, Warframe have had great success with curated paid mods.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Southquarter.com/fms
    What is with Microsoft and it's goofy console names of late? First we had the Xbox One, which was actually the third iteration of the Xbox. Now we have the Xbox One X (previously Scorpio), which rolls off the tongue with the smoothness of a bunch of rusty nails.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Imagine the product confusion with the similarly named Xbox One S?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Chakat sex pillow

suggested names

Xbonx (ecks-BAWNKS)
    Da Boxx
    X to the Box Squared
    X_X

|X|O|X|
    |O|X|O|
    |O|O|X| <--- (aka Not Quitebox)

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Except... with Bethesda / Zenimax currently doing their douchebag legal thing and suing Oculus, they've only announced it for Vive and PSVR. Now sure, that doesn't mean there won't be workarounds in place in order to play on Oculus, but it's still a dick move.
    Sad news if DOOM VFR and Fallout 4 VR don't get Oculus support. They'd be giving up quite a bit of revenue just to spite Oculus.
    Curious to see whether Bethesda will really give the finger to Rift users. I don't know of any Vive exclusives that weren't useable on OR, although often with annoying control issues. It'd be sheer pettiness and bad business practice if they really tried to keep the games Vive-only.
    Guys. There is not a single SteamVR game that isn't playable on Oculus + touch. That's how SteamVR works.

And given that Oculus's business practices are decidedly worse than Bethesda's, I'm none to fussed about Bethesda fucking with them in the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    |O|X|O|
    That's plagiarism! Sue him!

Chakat sex pillow
    You can't argue with my strategically laid... um, pipes?

Actually, scratch that. I'm with you.

Microsoft should've called it the OXO Cube.