TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: E3 2017 IS HAPPENING

Man I miss being 12 :/

Moderator and Priest
    I miss the days when you'd get a game magazine once a month, and you'd pour over every page from cover to cover to see what was up and coming while you waited for the next issue to arrive on store shelves.

Oh, and I miss video stores too. Once or twice a week, you'd go combing through the aisles looking for movies to watch, and games to play. You never knew what was good or not. You'd just have to find one that looked cool, take the plunge, and hope for the best. Sometimes you'd find a diamond among the coals, and you couldn't wait to rush out tell all your friends about it.

You know, I don't think it's that we're old, so much as jaded from being inundated with all the endless amounts of news and entertainment right at our fingertips.

There's also far, far more "unmissable" games being developed today compared to those earlier times. Sometimes it's so much you just want to throw your hands up in the air and go find another hobby. Even the most dedicated player is going to miss the majority of it all.

There are definitely more "man, if I had the time I'd sink hundreds of hours into that" games coming out now for sure. Which is kinda weird; the percentage of games coming out that interest me is way lower than it was even 10-15 years ago, but the sheer amount of shit being released means I still have a pile of priority backlog to get through plus a lot of stuff that's borderline wishlist because I really want to play it but I don't know how I'd get to it before I die. And that's not even getting into stuff like System Shock 2 which I'm fiddling with a bit because I finished Prey and realized it's been probably 15 years since I did a full SS2 playthrough.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 15th Jun 2017 at 00:09.

Farcry 5 looks amazing.

Just watched the Sony conference. Highlights:

Nothing. This conference sucked. I nearly fell asleep watching it. Very underwhelming, no conversations with developers and only 2 quick appearances from that guy from Sony. Easily the worst of the conferences I've watched so far. All it was, was a long series of trailer videos and that's it. I'm a Sony fanboy as far as consoles go and I still hated it.

And now Detroit - Being Human looks less interesting imo than before. In the video shown last year it looked like you were playing as an android cop in the midst of an android uprising. Now your playing as the leader of the resistance. Hmm. Less interesting.

Tomorrow - Nintendo.
    Last edited by icemann; 15th Jun 2017 at 10:22.

Thing What Kicks
    Skirting the edges, it looks like the big "mistake" to come out of this E3 is Sony's refusal to allow cross-play on the PS4. Judging by the murmurings in my RSS feeds, it's not quite the clusterfuck of Microsoft's odd decision to focus on the Xbox One as being an awesome media player from a few E3s ago, but it's gathering momentum.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony do a complete u-turn on that decision if the discontent gets much more vocal, especially as Microsoft are taking it as a sleight.

And they have a point: by claiming they're protecting the little children by not exposing them to communities on other platforms, Sony is basically saying all other communities are populated by assholes and are incapable of moderating themselves.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yep, that's a fairly disingenuous statement because all communities have a certain % of assholes. Sony has no special measures against them compared to MS and Ninty. I don't think it's a major PR burn, but without any other major issues from E3, this one gets magnified by virtue of it being the only bad move to focus on, and it's definitely not a good look for Sony with community-focused games like Minecraft and Rocket League and the like.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 15th Jun 2017 at 10:26.

Hasn't Sony always touted it's consoles as the place to go for adults? That kinda runs counter to that style if their so worried about kids. And that is a pretty piss weak excuse too.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, the theory doing the rounds is that it's not really about the children, it's about forcing their position as the dominant player in this console generation. If someone wants to buy a console to play with their mates, it's better for the largest platform holder if the garden stays walled and they're forced to buy a PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The other one is a split-screen prison escape game called A Way Out.

So I've been confused by something regarding this ever since I watched the conference. I'm sure there's a solution to it though so maybe someone here more knowledgeable on this stuff might be able to enlighten me?

How would they handle the sound in a game like this? If the game is designed for split-screen co-op with you and a friend on your couch, and each character could be off on their own doing different things, I'm not sure how they would make the audio work. If both characters happened to be involved in separate conversations or cutscenes at the same time, that would clash pretty badly.

Chakat sex pillow
    Ideally, when you're in a cutscene your partner won't be able to trigger one, and vice-versa. They'll have to fence off things that can clash on either end, and do it in a fashion that's clever enough to not seem artificial. I figure both people would want to know what's happening in the cutscene, after all.

Ok I watched the main presentation for Nintendo. I get the impression from the videos on youtube that came up that there is a couple of others.

The new Mario game looks fantastic, Samus Returns looks good though the reliance on that melee counter move. Hmm. I prefer AM2R over it. For an old school comparison, it's like Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles vs the original Rondo of Blood (not counting that Rondo wasn't available in English on it's original release). Though in Samus Returns case there are some gameplay changes like the melee counters and that new room searching ability + temporary invulnerability introduced in. I like that you can pin areas of the map for later exploration. Overall though I prefer AM2R as it is more in the vein of classic Metroid vs newer styles.

It was great that in this conference they had indepth (15-30 minutes long per dev) discussions with developers on gameplay, music and level design. Great stuff. No on stage bits unlike the other conferences. That was odd.

So now that I've seen all the conferences, except for Microsoft which I had zero interest in. I'd rate them:

1. Nintendo
    2. Ubisoft
    3. PC Gaming Show
    4. EA
    5. Bethesda
    6. Sony - This one was terrible.

Didn't see anyone mention the Call of Cthulhu trailer yet.

The trailer is heavily cinematic and doesn't really show much of anything, though.
    No idea how it will compare to the excellent-but-flawed Dark Corners of the Earth.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm going to propose for next year that it's required to show actual gameplay footage if you want to show your game at E3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Ideally, when you're in a cutscene your partner won't be able to trigger one, and vice-versa. They'll have to fence off things that can clash on either end, and do it in a fashion that's clever enough to not seem artificial. I figure both people would want to know what's happening in the cutscene, after all.
    yea they probably alternate cutscenes and exploration/action-lite sequences. Would be cool if they also had two "slow" cutscenes timed to kind of juxtapose, like one side says something, and then the second side something, maybe blatantly contradicting what the first said. Could be pretty neat, kind of like movies do back and forth or even split/screen shots at times.