TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to adjust texture resolution in blender

how to adjust texture resolution in blender

I have problems with many objects regarding textures, speacialy 3ds and old objects like the ones found here: http://www.sweethome3d.com/freeModels.jsp

For example in the garden umbrella that i converted to bin.file i added "replace0" and "replace1" as texture and used these ones on the garden umbrella:

but the result i get is this:

just blank colors, can anyone explain me how to fix this or do me a video tutorial?

Thanks in advance

Did you apply the Replace0 and Replace1 to the facings of the umbrella? I wish I could help but I don't use Blender.

Looks like the model is missing UVs? The original does not have any textures either...

Thank you both John, that my doubt, i don't know how to apply manually textures in blender, i do know how to change the textures, rename them but not much more... , PinkDot what is UVs?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Thank you both John, that my doubt, i don't know how to apply manually textures in blender, i do know how to change the textures, rename them but not much more... , PinkDot what is UVs?
    I haven't picked up blender yet but I think you would benefit from some tutorial videos instead of posting here. UV mapping is very 101/basic.

Quote Originally Posted by gamophyte View Post
    I haven't picked up blender yet but I think you would benefit from some tutorial videos instead of posting here. UV mapping is very 101/basic.
    i´ve been watching video tutorials but i still can't understand how to fix those models textures.

making them work in blender and in thief are two seperate but very close related things.

It just a hunch but from what I see is that the texture is not exported correctly and only a RGB-color is used.

Depending on which exporter you use the assignment method is different.
    As I assume thar you don't use neymax' exporter you need to make sure that for every texture has a material which is assigned to the correct faces AND that each face has the correct texture assigned via the UV/Image editor.
    Select Faces -> UV/Image editor select texture from the dropdown menu.

making them work in blender and in thief are two seperate but very close related things.

It just a hunch but from what I see is that the texture is not exported correctly and only a RGB-color is used aka the material rgb.

Depending on which exporter you use the assignment method is different.
    As I assume thar you don't use neymax' exporter you need to make sure that for every texture has a material which is assigned to the correct faces AND that each face has the correct texture assigned via the UV/Image editor.
    Select Faces -> UV/Image editor ->replace0.whatever select texture from the dropdown menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    you need to make sure that for every texture has a material which is assigned to the correct faces AND that each face has the correct texture assigned via the UV/Image editor.
    For this, I like to use the Material Utils plugin. Shift Q > Specials > Material to Texface.

edit:
    Here's a short video example of assigning a texture and than assigning another one to a specific set of faces:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZZ0ao1l_Eg
    Last edited by R Soul; 12th Jun 2017 at 16:00.

Robin thanks for the video tutorial, when i press shift+Q nothing happens.

Any chances of making a video tutorial with the Garden umbrella found here?:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/freeModels.jsp

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I assume the Shift-Q requires the Material Utils plugin which Robin mentioned. However I know nothing of Blender, that's just what I got from reading his post.

PinkDot what is UVs?
    UV coordinates - an information on how to wrap a flat texture around the 3D mesh. An essential element of a mesh object, if it is to have a texture applied.
    I checked that umbrella .obj file here in Maya and it does not seem to have UVs indeed. You need to unwrap it yourself (create UV coordinates), ask somebody to do it or ditch it and look for a complete object instead.

Edit: Try opening UV editor in Blender and see if there is any UV info there, or is it empty:
    https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/d...roduction.html

UV coordinates are 2D coordinates of face corners. That's all there is to it.

Thank you gentleman for the information, Daraan sorry being out of topic, do you have any new tree models? Because finding decent trees with few polys/faces is very hard.

Robin thanks for the video tutorial, when i press shift+Q nothing happens.
    You need to enable the "Material Utils Specials" plugin.
    File > User Preferences. Select Addons from the row along the top. Use the search field to find the above plugin. After enabling it, click on Save User Settings.

Thank you Robin, the combination of shift+Q works now, but now i can´t unwrap correctly the texture in the umbrella, i followed this video tutorial which seems to explain how to extend a texture in a face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gRUUeFteQg&t=159s

I guess that's what i need to do learn in order to have a decent texture resolution in the model.

here i selected "smart uv project", but now the resolution texture appears too much amplified:

For something relatively flat you can switch to Top view (numpad 7) and press U > Project from view. Zooming in or out will affect how repetitive the texture is. In the UV window you can select faces, vertices etc. A lot of the controls are similar to editing the object's physical shape. E.g. A toggles select all/none, S scales the selection. S + X scales horizontally, S + Y is vertical.

@Cardia - your texture needs to be tilable. Otherwise you can't scale it freely. Alternatively, you don't have to make it tileable (which means, that UVs will fit into 0-1 range), but then it has to be higher resolution to fit enough details. This approach is artistically better, as it allows for adding some baked ambient occlusion etc... but poorer from the performance point of view.

Also - try to maintain correct UVs' proportions. On your screengrab your UVs are vertically stretched, which means the texture will be stretched too.

Thank you Robin and PinkDot, i scroll down and up in the uv image but but nothing happens, but when changing the tiles number it affects the repetition of the texture only to a certain limit. What i´m i missing?

You need to zoom in (or out) in the 3d view, then press U > Project from view. If the apparent resolution is wrong, zoom in/out again try select Project from view again.

The alternative is to use the UV window, select faces, and press S to scale.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    You need to zoom in (or out) in the 3d view, then press U > Project from view. If the apparent resolution is wrong, zoom in/out again try select Project from view again.

The alternative is to use the UV window, select faces, and press S to scale.
    I don't understand how you adjust the texture scale with s, when i press "s" the only thing i can adjust is the size of the object. i selected "texture" in "viewport shading" i selected "edit mode". I don't understand where do you select to resize the texture scale, i´ve been watching other blender tutorials but none of them show how to scale a texture with the mouse wheel.

The location of the cursor is important. Pressing S with the cursor in the 3d view will scale the selected object (or faces, vertices or edges). To scale the UV map you have to put the cursor in the UV window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4wnlxS5qIw

Thank you Robin, but how do you get top orthon view? i can only select top view (numpad 7).

I suggest a Google search for Blender ortho view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast