TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: TableTop War Games

TableTop War Games

2017 has been an eventful year so far.....new career path, new family on the way, big other family events, wrapping up my grad school....and so on.

One of the more fun changes is a smaller one. Over the winter break I got to play some old games from franchises I'd forgotten about. That reminded me that I had a few boxes of old figures sitting in my closet.

I decided to strip one of them and repaint it:

What you're looking at is an Atlas from the old Battletech/Mechwarrior series.

I decided to add my favorite mech from Mechwarrior Online to the collection. My first attempt was a disaster so I had to relearn from scratch so I could paint at a level better than a 12 year old:

During the process of getting the supplies I need I found out that a local group meets for Battletech at one of the games hops. That led to me redoing the rest of my collection with few new additions:

What you're looking at here is a selection of Inner Sphere mechs painted in House Marik (basically space EU) colors with some Steiner colored mechs on the right. It's not quite fully in-frame on the right, but there's a blue/copper crab that is my personal favorite: the top of it is dry-brushed to give it a smooth color shading with a good wash that darkened the cracks and makes the texture pop. It's packed now but I'll have more pictures after tonight.

Eventually I started looking for other miniature games that might be good to get into as the population of Battletech is both small and graying. I tried X-wing miniatures and have enough for some fun friends/family games but it's missing something without the craft aspect.

I eventually settled into this game:

If you haven't seen it before, it's a game called Warmachine that also has a cross-compatible ruleset called Hordes. It's a turn based, 2-player skirmish sized miniature game where the defining mechanics revolve around the large "warjack" units and "warcasters" that control the warjacks to include allocating their "focus" to use abilities and boost warjack's power (in practice by using their mana-equivalent to add extra dice to attack and damage rolls). Similar mechanics are used for Hordes players with the major difference being that their leader pulls another resource called "rage" that is generated by warbeast units. There's some rudimentary similarities to Warhammer but a number of factors stand out: it's focused for smaller armies, each model handles its rolls independently (although "grunts" receive orders as part of unit), it's more designed for competitive play, and it has a unique mechanic where killing the other player's warcaster (or warlock of they have a Hordes faction).

Basically, games play like a cross between Chess and Warhammer....except this is much cheaper to get into than Warhammer because of smaller Armies and all special rules being on cards that come with the units when you buy them.

My army in this game is a faction called the "Protectorate of Menoth". Basically they're a fantasy version of Crusader knights except far more fanatical, and their playstyle is focused on strategically using defensive buffs to deny the other player full use of their army's strengths and offensive buffs to crack tough defenses. What you're seeing in that picture is my first win where I was able to successfully get a nasty agility unit (can't be targeted at range, can vault over friendly models, and has a double melee attack) at the Khador (Fantasy Russia) player's warcaster and end the game with an assassination run.

Of course not every game goes so well

That match was a wipe against me: I hadn't brought enough ranged capability, and as a result my force was extremely vulnerable to his team's knockdown abilities that allowed my force to receive a devastating charge attack.

Has anyone else on here gotten into this kind of thing?

Moderator and Priest
    It's something I've always wanted to get into, but could never find anyone else to play with.

If I did it, it'd mostly be about me collecting the figurines, forever teasing me with the fun I could be having.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    It's something I've always wanted to get into, but could never find anyone else to play with.

If I did it, it'd mostly be about me collecting the figurines, forever teasing me with the fun I could be having.
    Usual way is to show up at your friendly local game store and ask the staff if there's any groups that play. You can find a group for most popular games that way.

Moderator and Priest
    If there were one thing I'd really love to do, it'd be make the battlefields for those tabletop games.

I once did a security system for a big comic shop, and they had this HUGE center table for some game called Necromunda. It was, by and far, the coolest thing ever. I'd love to do that, though I bet it costs a mint to get into.

Still Subjective
    I used to play Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy. This was 20 years ago. I had Nurgle armies.

The only tabletop wargame I play these days is the occasional Risk.

But the game I love the most is Shogun.

I too used to play Warhammer Fantasy, 40k and Space Marine. Oh and Hero Quest, though that's more a board game. Stopped when it all started to get very expensive + ran out space to put them all.

For 40k - I went Chaos. If I'd stuck with it, I'd have collected a Tyranid army eventually. Loved their back stories, and just the whole concept of them as a whole really.
    For Fantasy - Skaven and Undead

Stopped playing around the late 90s somewhere. Would love to play either the tabletop versions of D&D or Shadowrun someday, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I once did a security system for a big comic shop, and they had this HUGE center table for some game called Necromunda. It was, by and far, the coolest thing ever. I'd love to do that, though I bet it costs a mint to get into.
    Necromunda is a pretty cool game. The game itself is actually fairly cheap, but an elaborate board like you said can get expensive.

I was really big on miniatures wargaming in high school and college. At various times I played Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40k, Battlefleet Gothic, Warmachine, Starship Troopers, AT-43, Dust, and OGRE. I spent a lot of time meticulously painting figures and it was a decent hobby when I had a lot of free time, but gradually I came to realize that I'm more interested in the gaming than the spending hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours on collecting and painting, so I've largely switched to traditional hex-and-counter wargames. Over the past few years I've gotten into writing my own wargames and it's been an interesting experience.

Aww I always wanted to get into it but never had any friends that played. Only played it once at a random meetup. Now that you mention it, I should stop by my local game store and ask if they got events I could join without any figurines of my own...

Even in my circles back in the 90s I only had one friend that played it. But that was enough to enable battling.

BANNED
    I play with my son and his friends Seriously, I have fun, they think I am cool

Only downside was how long the matches would go for. You'd do 18 holes of golf in less time.

Moderator and Priest
    You know, talking about this gives me an idea...

One thing I like doing is playing fan made maps for Axis & Allies. It's on a game engine called TripleA, but in theory you could print your own board and play on it (which I want to actually do someday). My favorite ones are the Napoleonic Wars and WWI, but I also like the Punic Wars, Game of Thrones, Middle Earth, the US Civil War, Arab-Israeli wars, and Sengoku Japan.

I made one on Cold War Asia (Chinese Rev, Korean, & Vietnam wars cir. 1949 linked), and WIPs on the Russia Civil War and ISIS Crisis in Iraq & Syria. The best maps have multiple opponents in two or more alliances (or free for all) that have to prioritize or coordinate. Lately I think I'm as engaged in just making the maps & balancing the gameplay as playing them. It's also a good way to learn the history of the conflicts & get a kind of inside view of them, which any well designed war game does (so "fun" isn't always the right word, although they can also be fun just in terms of pure gameplay and if it's a fantasy or very old conflict that's completely detached from modern politics, but there's also a feeling of accomplishment or deep respect about getting a better understanding of history, even painful history of more recent conflicts). The Axis & Allies model is also such a great gameplay model that I'm happy to see it opened up to different maps.

There were some other war games I liked but I can't remember their names. The one WWII battle level one where you lay down one of the dozens of premade maps, take actions by cards, then roll a dice for them, and you ultimately have to occupy like three target spaces on your opponant's side of the map.

And speaking of cards, I love this WWII dogfighting card game where the cards are arieal maneuvers. You basically lay the move card in front of your plane widget (a little plane on a thin retractable antennae on a square platform) & move your plane platform to the new marked place on the card, and you can ascend or descend & lose or gain speed. Then you can take a shot if another plane is inside a certain arc in front of your platform & roll a dice to see if you hit (the more centered & directionally-aligned your opponent is the better chance of a hit). It plays super fast; it just looks very cool to see these war planes swooping around in mid-action above the table; and has the feel of a tight and tense dogfight.
    Last edited by demagogue; 15th Jun 2017 at 06:47.