TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Dead Cells

Moderator and Priest

Dead Cells

Hollow Knight and Dead Cells. It's funny how two games I had absolutely no interest in somehow ended up becoming some of my favorite games ever. Thanks to Henke, I've been wondering which of the two I like better. Hollow Knight excels in atmosphere and exploration, and the fighting mechanics are pretty fun too, once you start filling out your various powers.

...but I think I might have to give the nod to Dead Cells. Unfinished though it may be, there's already so much in the game, so many weapons, so many items, so many tricks, traps, and places to explore, the variety is endless. And the way all the various weapons and items complement each other. It has the smoothest, most responsive, most entertaining combat imaginable. There is seemingly no end to the amount of ways you can mix and match things to deal death. While Hollow Knight is great, I think Dead Cells has it beat on pure entertainment and replay value.

I could gush on, but I think it'd be better to show off one of my runs through the game. Don't worry about spoilers. I took the easy path, the first you go through, and didn't get too far. Quit fretting, and watch it!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh man, that does look amazing. :U

I am gonna wait till release before picking it up tho.

Dead Cells is awesome and definitely worth playing.

The only reason to hold off on it (if you like the genre) is to wait for the release.

Moderator and Priest
    What's weird is that the game doesn't even feel like it's early access. I haven't experienced a single bug or any other negative niggle you'd usually associate with a beta. When a patch comes out, they feel more like little expansion packs, adding in new effects, levels, weapons, and monsters to fight, with only the occasional tweak to what's already there.

I think the only thing you're really missing out on are the story bits, which I don't think the devs are planning on putting into the game until it's almost finished.

Any tips for a starting player? I’m progressing, but oh so slowly. So far I’ve only go one rune and I’m no further than the Ramparts, but at the same time I’ve died a dozen times. I probably have to become more methodical at combat than i currently am...

Thing What Kicks
    I think the key is to realise that the whole idea is you should be dying a lot while playing the game. You get some interesting blueprints, get to the end of the level, unlock them, then repeat until the unlocks start making progress easier. And I don't know about anyone else, but I've found that the combat affords you a lot of leeway. Thanks to a generous health bar and the flasks (which is probably the first thing you should upgrade), you can afford to make mistakes early on, safe in the knowledge that you'll find healing items in the level, and be able to fully heal and replenish your flasks at the level transition stage.

Also, weapons that cause enemies to bleed are really good.

I bow to others' expertise mind you.

The lesson I'm trying to force myself to follow is that if I get a new blueprint then to proceed as quick as possible to the exit to ensure that I get to keep it. Too often I've gained one, kept exploring then died and so lost them. So annoying.

I've got all of the 1st stage and The Promenade of the Condemned completely done blueprints wise. Sewers is next up.

Slowly farming all the blueprints and upgraded one of the weapons to level 2 (via the NPC you encounter only straight after the 1st boss). Got a couple of extra mutations unlocked also. Don't really use many of the new ones. Be nice if you were able to increase your limit of mutations in use. 3 is very limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Also, weapons that cause enemies to bleed are really good.
    Bleed, Poison and Fire are all useful, and note that if Oil is applied to a Fire or Fire to something Oiled, the Fire will be more damaging. There is of course the somewhat rare "If an enemy dies while Bleeding, nearby enemies start Bleeding" modifier for various Weapons and Skills which can help clear out large groups. Note that the modifier will only apply to Bleeds caused directly by the item itself and not by the secondary Bleeds from the modifier or other items you may carry.

For a new player, I'd recommend trying to get a hold of Frost Blast or learn how to properly Parry with a Shield (the timing for this does vary by enemy). Either of those will make many things a lot easier. Frost Blast is easy to use, but bosses and elites tend to get resistance/immunity to it as a fight goes on. Shields often have very noticable benefits once you learn how to use them, also just having a Shield equipped means you get a brief period of invulnerability after getting hit which can by itself decrease damage taken by a lot. Without a Shield you do not get this kind of Mercy Invulnerability at all.

You should also learn how to time the roll, as it can help a lot whether you have defensive items or not. You're granted a brief period of invulnerability to attacks, but not environmental hazards (though some may be avoided by the smaller hitbox).

Learning to roll when you see the "!" popup over the enemies heads is the skill to learn in this game. Will save your ass more often than not against some of the harder enemies. Elites mostly.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Frost Blast is easy to use, but bosses and elites tend to get resistance/immunity to it as a fight goes on.
    If you can pair frost blast with a high damage output, that becomes a moot point. I remember one particular good run I had during one of the earlier builds. I had a ton of points stocked up into strength, a damn good weapon, and a couple of freeze methods. I all but tore through the game, freezing everything I came across, and killing even latter stage enemies within 2-4 hits. Only The Watcher gave me any trouble during that session.

Thanks for the tips above. Yesterday I got Belier's Rune; any tips on what to aim for next?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Thanks for the tips above. Yesterday I got Belier's Rune; any tips on what to aim for next?
    Defeating the Watcher and getting the Spider Rune or trying to beat the Assassin would be the next logical steps.

I'd recommend getting the spider rune first. Being able to cling to the wall during the fight helps a bit since he wont be able to engage you in melee though he still has the annoying pull move.

If you do try the Assassin I'd recommend:

* Unlimited arrow bow
    * Freeze potion
    * Turret of some sort

All on level 2 (via upgrading them with cells gained via the 1st boss, or The Watcher. And Have the "save once from death" mutagen picked. Don't even bother with melee as he'll slaughter you. Every time I tried that I got my ass handed to me and with him not losing much health out of it.

I've yet to beat him, but with 2 of the 3 above I've gotten him down to 1/4 health. The unlimited arrow bow in particular helps much. With the use of a turret of some sort he'll not be chasing you all over the room. As often. I'm confident I'll get him down eventually. I'm more focused on getting blueprints for now + getting the "Merchant Categories" blueprint from Graveyard. I've gained all of the blueprints from most of the levels by this stage. Just cleared out The Prison Depths and have The Slumbering Depths next up, then onto Graveyard, then Clock Tower. When all of that's done then I'll try the Assassin again. Or so is the plan.

Is there a place online where we can see exactly what unlocks where, and where to get every blueprint? I've done some Google searching myself and only found mention about the Merchant Categories blueprint when I searched for it directly.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Is there a place online where we can see exactly what unlocks where, and where to get every blueprint? I've done some Google searching myself and only found mention about the Merchant Categories blueprint when I searched for it directly.
    This guide from the Steam Community Guides section should be up to date.

Ah nice. Thanks .

The only thing missing from there is mention about the Merchant Categories blueprint.

And I'm nearly done with the game. By done I mean that I can't get any further and I'm just done.

I just want to get to Graveyard as that's one place I've not been yet + want the categories blueprint, and I'm determined to beat the Assassin. I was trying to get all of the blueprints but there was one elite I spent the entire day and night trying to beat (Golem) but got my ass handed to me on all occasions, regardless of the tactics I tried. I'm done with that elite. Too hard.

The Assassin on the other hand I know I can beat with enough practice. It's just getting to him that is the challenge.

Elite Golem is currently a waste of time, too many disruptive abilities combined with massive damage.

Got the spider rune - yay!

Moderator and Priest
    I've decided not to play it again until the official release. You all need to keep talking about it, so I can live vicariously through you.

I managed to unlock the last blueprint I was missing yesterday and have now begun to play on 3 Boss Cell difficulty. If you thought the game was hard on normal, this is a whole different beast. You get a single potion charge after beating the first boss (Incomplete One or Watcher depending on your path) and no further potion refill/healing between levels. The main upside is the ability to fully upgrade your items and a ton more cells being dropped, in one run I had nearly 400 Cells after beating the Incomplete One.

I definitely recommend going all out Tactics with Turrets and Bow or Spell for this, possibly a Shield in the secondary slot for defensive purposes (a Parry still negates all damage). S rank Turrets will often have the valuable "Shots Pierce the First Enemy" modifier along with +2 Tactics.

Until they nerf Golems I'm not bothering with them. Their just too hard, and I can't believe I'm saying that as I love hardcore difficulty stuff like in Dark Souls etc. But when your trying to beat 1 enemy for an entire day and night and just can't do it then that's just too much. I got to a point where I was like nope I'm done, and I nearly never get like that with a game.

Thankfully the rest of the game what I've observed is fine. They just need to nerf that one enemy. ESPECIALLY in elite form. It just stun locks you to death with it's GET OVER HERE move, which works even if you teleport to the other side of the level which is just stupid. Their really needs to be a range on it.

Todays goals - Get another daily done as I've been chipping away at getting the aura of laceration which you need to complete 5 dailies to get. Done 2 so far. And If I have enough time, to get the hunters longbow which you need to speed through to Ossuary within 5 minutes 30 seconds.

[Much later edit]

So I'm up to 3 dailies done, need 2 more to get the aura of laceration. That last daily was a real bitch to get through. Boss was a piece a cake, but just getting there was super hard.

Further stuff accomplished today:

* Hunters longbow blueprint acquired + a couple of others in that speed run. Ivy grenade for example.
    * Searching for Graveyard was quite annoying. Most of the initial posts I read (eg ign.com) said that it was via Fog Fjord, but on extensively searching the area only found a entrance to the Forgotten Sepulchre + the usual Clock Tower entrance. Further investigating led to me discovering that not long prior to me starting my play through, Graveyard was moved (in the Brutal update) to directly after the Watcher battle. So I went there, died a few times, beat him but accidentally went into the wrong entrance and soon after killed by a damn golem, then tried a few more times and on beating the watcher found the entrance. Had to climb a wall to find it. Once there, played super careful and cleared the level of enemies but had to do some EXTENSIVE searching to find the architects key which gives access to a locked off area at the end of the level, containing the general categories blueprint + another blueprint if you do some further searching in there.

So I just need to pump 300 cells into getting the general categories enabled, and then it's off to take out the Assassin. I could try further to get the golem blueprint but meh I dunno. Maybe after Assassin, since you get the boss cells which allow for higher upgrading of gear.

Important little note - Just before searching for Graveyard I discovered that you don't have to spend cells on enabling unlocked blueprints. Just knock the door down. I HIGHLY recommend doing this, as otherwise you'll end up like me and have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much stuff unlocked which = not getting the gear you really want in a run through. I think the vendor system needs a big overhaul to instead you having a complete list of what you have unlocked and spend your cash on the gear you want specifically for purchase. Otherwise it's just a jumbled mess with you often having to spend excessive amounts of cash just to get 1 of the 3 or more items you want. And that's if you even get it once. Half the time I don't even get 1 of them.

Compare that to when I started playing the game, where I'd very often get exactly what I wanted from vendors which was higher tier versions of the gear I had already. So I'd go into boss battles with the right stuff from the get go. Where as by now, it's almost a necessity to do at least a few of the harder levels since they more often than not have more item drop locations + vendors, and your going through more levels before the eventual final boss battle.

And I'm only missing 5 blueprints total now I think. 2 you get from the Assassin, 1 I'll get in 2 days via dailies, 1 is in graveyard, and the other resides with the golems. In the case of the golems I might just take on the normal ones as they are barely beatable, but at least I have a chance there. So will hope for a blueprint drop. Might only be a 5 or 7% chance but meh I'll go with the option where I'm more likely to actually win.
    Last edited by icemann; 18th Jan 2018 at 12:40.