TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead Cells

God dammit....

Moderator and Priest
    And this is why I'm waiting for the final rev to be released.

Southquarter.com/fms
    DC is coming out of early access next Tuesday (Aug 7th), and will officially launch. I've been wanting to play this game badly, but decided to hold off until it was finished. Just grabbed it for the Switch (with a 20% discount for preordering).

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm considering picking it up on the Switch as well. I've been wanting to play it for a while and also I'm starved for Switch-games.

I absolutely loved this game for a long time, but the final boss is a real pain in the ass. Which considering that it will take you 30-60 mins to reach him makes for frustrating defeats. I gave up after 3 attempts. Nothing for me will compare to the feeling I had when I beat the original final boss "the assassin". For me as far as I'm concerned I "beat" the game then.
    Last edited by icemann; 2nd Aug 2018 at 03:55.

Level 10,000 achieved
    DEAD CELLS

IS

OOOOOUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT

and I own it on the Switch. I haven't played it yet tho. I wonder if it's ANY GOOD !?!?!?!?!?!?

Moderator and Priest
    IT IS SO GOOD IT IS GREAT GOOD! YOU WILL LOVE IT LIKE FAT KID LOVE CAKE!

I enjoyed this a lot for a while, not least because you could easily pick it up and play for 15 minutes and have fun. Then I just stopped - not for any specific reason but because the game's appeal pretty much waned from one week to the next. I'm planning to get back to it and start from scratch to see how it's developed in the meantime, but at least for me it didn't quite have legs (or a head *badum-tishh!*). Not a complaint, though: I got more than enough fun out of it for what I paid.

Chakat sex pillow
    Like all roguelikes/lites, the appeal is vastly limited for me. It's fun enough in the moment-to-moment, but the lack of long-form progress isn't as mitigated by the sops (blueprints and area shortcuts) provided as I'd like, and I simply do not relish having to carve out a solid, uninterrupted hour or two to work it through to the end (and keep trying if the loot/level design/your own skill or lack thereof fucks you over).

As such, it falls into the 'play it for a bit then chuck it' category, which may seem unkind, but then I generally am to roguelikes. Which is ironic, considering I spent much of my teenage years playing ZAngband and ADoM. Some things you just move on from, I guess.

Moderator and Priest
    I guess that's why I've come to love Roguelikes so much recently. I never played them during my teenage years, so I haven't had time to be burnt out on the concept.

Chakat sex pillow
    Part of it's also that I'm never going to be fond of procedural generation in anything outside of Diablo or XCOM, and procedurally generated platformers present to me what is essentially designer LEGO: here's some themes and some scaling difficulty we're designing to be thrown together in almost any configuration, now go navigate. The joy of knowing you're being led through carefully crafted challenges towards some definite narrative endpoint is absent, and games that are solely about skill that minimise flavour/filler (like narrative hooks) tend to throw me off unless they're flaunting benchmark-level gameplay.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 7th Aug 2018 at 04:04.

Moderator and Priest
    Well, I wouldn't say I like all roguelikes, since most of the Roguelikes I most enjoy are the more combat centric ones, such as Spelunky, Enter The Gungeon, and Dead Cells. Those games don't really need handcrafted level design. Their randomness, that being pushed to make the best of always unpredictable situations, is a part of their overall appeal.

Though the games that align more closely to the original roguelikes, like ADoM and their ilk, never appeal to me for long. Take Caves of Qud for a good example. I love the idea of it of it on paper, love what it offers, but I just can't manage to get into it. To me, it can't compete with an RPG like Pillars of Eternity, which, despite not being nearly as flexible gameplaywise, feels so much more rich and alive due to the obsessive attention paid to every minute detail of the world.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yup, unpredictable level design for a platformer is a no-no for me at any rate. Combat I can take or leave, usually, but if it's bone-crunchingly satisfying (as with Dead Cells), that's a plus.

ADoM and ZAngband cater (catered? It's been more than a decade since I touched 'em, who knows what they look like now) to people who're prepared to get in deep and engage with the absolute fuckton of random variables and encounters that they dole out in steady streams, always with the knowledge that there's a >90% chance of your journey being terminated early. It could be over in as quickly as 5 minutes if you have particularly bad luck, or it could be 4 hours and multiple dungeon levels cleared and you're picking mithril off the walls before running into a monster nest when you've forgotten to restock supplies; but that, and the level of depth to the systems, was part of the appeal.

Acceptance that you're going to die eventually always took the edge off, but at some point I decided that the level of short-term satisfaction conferred by surviving random encounters just didn't rate when compared with something authored, something that had a definite, gradual build and release. And yes, that's probably the makings of a sex joke but I haven't had enough coffee to work on working it up appropriately.

Oh well. Unfulfillment is a relevant analogy here anyway.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Not sure if anyone saw this, but IGN completely plagarized some youtubers review of the game:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Jim Sterling saw it. And I guess IGN saw it too since they've taken the review down.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Progress so far: I got 2 health flasks and made it to the first boss!

Yeah, this is good. The gameplay has lots of great little touches. I especially like how the items are on a cool-down timer. I'm usually so precious with items in games that I just end up hoarding them instead of using them, but this counteracts that.

Wait till you try and get the items required to access new areas. To use a Shodan line:

"You will learn more about pain, than you ever wanted to know". If you happen over to gamefaqs.com my little item list is up over there, which last I checked was the only one on there. It's out of date by 6 months I'll note.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw this, but IGN completely plagarized some youtubers review of the game:
    And the writer's been sacked:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45128537

In response, IGN have removed the review from their website, apologised to Boomstick Gaming and "parted ways" with the reviewer.

"We take our review process seriously," read an official statement. "We apologize to our readers, developer Motion Twin, and most especially the YouTuber known under Boomstick Gaming...

"After taking the time to investigate, we've determined there were substantial similarities between a review posted weeks earlier and our review that could not be justified...

"The review itself was simply not acceptable. We've parted ways with the writer involved."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12