TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Knight

Level 10,000 achieved

Hollow Knight

This lovely thing probably deserves a thread, even though I'm not sure there's much to say about it. It's just kinda a really polished and pleasant to play Castlevania-esque thing.

Just played my first 89-minute session, rolled over the first boss in one go and I'm on to Greenpath! I like the feel of the platforming and the combat, very tight. I like how the map works, and I like how the whole thing looks. My only complaint is that I've experienced some very occasional input-lag, like I let go of the movement stick and my guy keeps walking for a second after that. Hasn't caused my any deaths so far, but I can see it being frustrating if it happens at the wrong moment.

I got this as well, it is very polished, possibly a little on the hard side for someone like me. Not sure if I like the save system though.

Moderator and Priest
    I would do nothing but heap praise on Hollow Knight. Like Henke said, it doesn't do anything particularly new, it just does the Metroidvania thing with such style and panache, you don't really care that it's treading on old ground. The gameplay, the art, the sound effects, the atmosphere, the music, it's all top notch, and comes together so perfectly.

I haven't noticed any input lag, but it can get pretty hard later on in the game, especially if you're going for the best ending. There's one secret area you have to go through that pulls its design cues straight out of the evilest levels of Super Meat Boy.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The challenge stepped up considerably for the second bossfight, the girl with the sword in Greenpath. Had to redo that one 4 times before I beat it. Now I've progressed on to Fungal Wastes, and some other area, where I opened a bank account.

Also, switched from my wireless XBox One controller to the wired 360 pad and the input lag disappeared. Also briefly tried playing with keyboard, should be fine theoretically since there's no analogue input, but it's been so long since I played a platformer on keyboard that it just doesn't feel comfortable anymore.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    ...and some other area, where I opened a bank account.
    ...eheehee.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh man, the Mantis Lords do not fuck around.

Took me several tries, but I finally got through it, by the skin of my teeth. Thank God for the Spore Shroom and Baldur Shell charms.

On to Deepnest!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh god oh jesus I don't wanna play this anymore.

don't worry I say this about every game that's this challenging. I still wanna play it.

But seriously I don't wanna play it

fuck this shit

Moderator and Priest
    Guess you're in the Soul Sanctum now, huh?

Level 10,000 achieved
    No, Deepnest. I already got the Tram Pass, went to the place where I got the magic sword, but after that I didn't know where to go so I went back to see if I missed anything in Deepnest and now I'm stuck here and there are SPIDERS EVERYWHERE.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok I finally made it back out. Then, in the grand tradition of Metroidvanias, I went on a tour through every earlier area I'd been to in the hope that some ability I've learned would open up a new location. It did, I'm now in the City of Tears.

I like it here. Good enemies that are fun to fight (unlike those horrible digger bugs in Deepnest) and I got my nail upgraded! Yay!

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, you're playing it in a slightly different order than I did. I didn't head to Deepnest or get the Tram Pass until I was a good bit farther into the game. No wonder you got pissed off. :P

Oh, and here's this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HKQG.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	688.4 KB 
ID:	2359

Administrator
    Just started playing this and love the atmosphere. Still finding my feet but so far it doesn't seem like it's too unfair - although it seems a bit strange that insta-death kills on spikes don't cause you to lose all your... collectables(?) but losing your "lives" requires a trek back from the last bench similar to Dark Souls.

Moderator and Priest
    Thank god falling on spikes only causes you to lose a health bubble, rather than killing you outright. Later sections of the game would be nigh impossible if it did that.

Administrator
    I'm clearly progressing a lot slower than you guys (just done a first pass through Greenpath) and still really enjoying it. It's clear that there are areas that I need to return to once I've picked up some more abilities but the general level of enemies has been challenging but fair. Except when they hit me back off a ledge into water / spikes, of course

I've started playing this and I'm enjoying it a lot, especially for its melancholy mood. There are some things I'm not too keen on (e.g. the way mapping works, the death mechanism, the very limited number of charm slots), but I think they're partly due to me not quite having found my feet yet. It's definitely pulled me in more than Doom has... I guess I'm more of an emo bug guy than a screaming demon killer.

Administrator
    I've managed to pick up an extra charm slot which helps a lot with that particular annoyance - I suspect that more will be forthcoming later in the game. Doom didn't grab me too much - it's very nicely done but something I just don't seem to be in the mood for at the moment.

Moderator and Priest
    You get a number of extra charm slots throughout the game, though the game is set up so you'll never be able to use ALL the charms you'd like.

My only complaint about it is having to use a single charm slot just to see where you're at on the map screen.

This morning I beat Hornet, after 4-5 tries. I also realised that I'd have to be a bit more systematic about combat and about finding out enemies' attack patterns, which I learned from those old guys with the shield (Moss Knights?).

Does the game require some Geo farming or will I mostly have enough money if I just play regularly and don't die too much?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I haven't had to do any farming, later on you do find a place where you can sell precious trinkets you've found, and those have funded the more costly upgrades I've done recently.

Currently trying to beat the boss in Soul Sanctum. He's a pain.

edit: I beat him! Swapping out Baldur Shell and Grubsong for Quick Focus helped a lot.
    Last edited by henke; 12th Jul 2017 at 05:26.

Administrator
    I did a little bit of farming early on to buy some of the map upgrades but in hindsight it wasn't really necessary. I've made enough in general just by exploring in general.

I made it to the Mantis Lords (from henke's video above) but after a character suggested I should upgrade my weapon first I have moved on to the city of tears before trying again to defeat them. Based on the above posts it sounds like I'm doing the "easy route" compared to henke's path through the game

(Although now I understand the "Super Meat Boy" comment made earlier!)

Moderator and Priest
    No, Al. You don't. Not yet.

Just got to the City of Tears. Can't say I'm overly keen on the Super Meat Boy Lite bits so far, and I dread having worse sequences like that; I don't mind having to play a sequence repeatedly, but in combination with dying and respawning at a bench that might be quite a bit away I'm not a big fan. I still like the game, though, and I like how it captures some of the, well, soul of the Souls games without aping them.

Administrator
    Yeah, the trek back to difficult areas (in general) is a bit of a pain although it does seem like there are generally enough shortcuts that you can unlock to avoid it being too drastic. The location of the bench in the mantis area is a bit of an annoyance, however.

Still enjoying it immensely, however and it's definitely sucked me in. Had a pass through the howling cliffs and crystal peak after getting a bit frustrated with the soul sanctum enemies. Decided to go back and do the Mantis Lords shown in henke's video above and getting toasted by the second wave. At least I have a choice of boss enemies to die from

edit: And now they're defeated. Ultimately figured out the best response to their patterns and only got hit three times on the fight in total. Very satisfying to have that one ticked off
    Last edited by Al_B; 14th Jul 2017 at 18:36. Reason: Respect

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Just got to the City of Tears. Can't say I'm overly keen on the Super Meat Boy Lite bits so far, and I dread having worse sequences like that; I don't mind having to play a sequence repeatedly, but in combination with dying and respawning at a bench that might be quite a bit away I'm not a big fan. I still like the game, though, and I like how it captures some of the, well, soul of the Souls games without aping them.
    The part I'm always vaguely referring to is entirely optional, and there is an item you can get that'll make it so you can go through it without having to worry about losing all your health, and being forced back to the nearest bench, so it's not the worst thing in the world.

Still Subjective
    I was interested in this, at first, but it looks like a grimdark Ori and The Blind forest. Is it?

Dead Cells looks great. Any idea when it's released?