TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Knight

Is say it's much rather melancholy than grimdark. The tone is an IMO successful mix of whimsy and sadness.

Edit: One thing that does annoy me a bit is just how little guidance the game gives you. One thing I don't like in games is having little to no idea whether I can't progress, e.g. with a boss, because I am not good enough as a player or because I don't have equipment that's up to the job (usually it's somewhere in between, but leaning more towards the one side or the other). I remember Super Metroid's map giving you hints as to what you'd need to get through this or that door, and I don't think this makes the game more casual, it just doesn't waste my time. It's still a good, very atmospheric game, but this sort of thing means that too often I end up consulting guides when I'd prefer to stay in the game.
    Last edited by Thirith; 15th Jul 2017 at 07:55.

Administrator
    I think whimsy and sadness is a good description. There's little bits of humour sprinkled throughout the game that prevent it being too overly depressing, it's certainly not as dark and broody as Dark Souls.

As for guidance - I've largely been playing the game by ear. I got to the Mantis Lords fairly early on and quickly decided I didn't have the skill (or equipment) to tackle them. Going back later definitely was the right choice - just being more familiar with the controls and having a weapon upgrade helped a great deal. One thing in its favour is that there always seems to be at least a few options in terms of available areas and it doesn't force a single route through the game.

I do wish you could make notes on the map, however. I've just cleared out the soul sanctum (not as bad as the posts above led me to believe!) and I wish I could have marked all the areas where my new ability would allow me to access. It's not a huge issue, but it probably means I'll miss out on some optional secrets.

Yeah, map notes would already do the trick. I can interpret what I see (e.g. a steep wall, some shaky ground, a boss that's currently too tough) but memorising it isn't something I consider particularly interesting or enjoyable.

Administrator
    Yeah, if this carries on I may have to use pen and paper

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't think upgrades are ever required for bosses. If you can do damage to it, you can beat it, theoretically. Tho it certainly gets easier with upgrades.

Also I'm 18 hours in and it's getting pretty damn depressing. It might just have Dark Souls beaten in the sadness-department.

Level 10,000 achieved

One down, two to go.

I just finished off the Soul Master and now I'm trying to remember where I've seen shaky ground. I've also added some notches and am using a few charms now, which makes some of the bits that frustrate me less frustrating. Having said that, though, I've taken to returning to the menu when I'm on my last health unit in a boss fight; it's kinda cheating, I know, but since some of the bosses are still at a distance from the last bench, I'm not in the mood for the double punishment of losing my money *and* having to return to the last savepoint.

Edit: ... and suddenly I've got about three or four more areas at my disposal, including some pretty scary ones... and the Stag Station's suddenly ruined?! Gulp...
    Last edited by Thirith; 16th Jul 2017 at 14:44.

Administrator
    Deepnest. Not a fan.

I wouldn't mind a bit of guidance from those of you further than me (i.e. most of you). The last boss I tackled was the Soul Master; any suggestions on where to go and whom to kill next? I'm thinking of either the Mantis Lords or that Crystal Guardian. (Any point in me trying to find some Pale Ore first?)

Also, there are now these ghosts I could fight, but I'm not sure I want to. Will I have to eventually?

Administrator
    I'm about at the same point as you and suggest the Mantis Lords.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, although be aware that the Mantis Lords leads to Deepnest. Which, like Al, I'm no fan of either. It's those burrowing fuckers. They are the worst. However, there is cool shit down in Deepnest that you'll need.

And no point trying to find Pale Ore. You'll find it if you find it.

Thanks, I'll proceed accordingly.

Also, please, please, please tell me that I'll later be able to buy pins that indicate where there are uncollected grubs. I very much like the game, but I'd love it if it didn't insist on demanding that I have a near-photographic memory.

Moderator and Priest
    It's not a pin, but yeah, you'll eventually get the location for all the grubs.

Okay, I've defeated the Mantis Lords and obtained the Crystal Heart. Next up: the Crystal Guardian... once I've retrieved my Shade from the Crystalized Mound. It's all gone a bit crystal, suddenly.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Listening to you guys makes me really want to play this. And I see it's on sale on GOG right now. Hmmm...

Moderator and Priest
    Geddit nao.

As much as I'm still enjoying the game, I have to say that I'm starting to wonder if it's too difficult for me. I get the impression that both the Crystal Guardian and the Broken Vessel require a degree of skill from the that I just don't have consistently, and I don't immediately see how I could upgrade to have more of a chance. I'm not giving up, but I am feeling this fatalistic dread that is quite fitting of the game...

Moderator and Priest
    It's not an easy game, but you are facing off against some of the hardest bosses it has to throw at you. Unless you're going for the secret true ending, the ones you fight during the latter half of the game aren't quite as bad.

Of all the mandatory boss fights, I consider the Soul Master, Crystal Guardian, Broken Vessel, and Hornet's 2nd fight to be the hardest of the bunch.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Jul 2017 at 14:44.

Thanks, that's good to know. Out of interest, how did you know if a boss was optional? Did the game tell you, directly or indirectly, or did you check a guide?

Moderator and Priest
    I can't say much without getting into spoiler territory, but, to be as vague as possible, if you have to go out your way to find them, or have to use a specific item to fight them, they're optional.

That definitely helps, especially the latter bit. Thanks.

Administrator
    I need to go back and give the Crystal Guardian another shot. He was killing me in a few seconds - mainly from his weapon but the light beams also took me down quickly so I put him on hold. I still have the waterways and ancient basin to clear out anyway, both of which are more... relaxing... on the whole. At least I've finally managed to defeat Mawlek - his attacks were a pain to dodge.

Moderator and Priest
    If you want a good example of the out of the way ones, I'd consider the Mantis Lords to be an optional fight, since you could go through the entire game without fighting them. All they give you is a charm, and an alternate entryway into Deepnest.

Though they're probably the easiest ones to find.

Okay, a nudge from a YouTube video has helped me with the Broken Vessel, mainly by giving me some tips on how to change up the charms I'm using. I'm now on the way to the Crystal Guardian, and I have an inkling that I might like to explore the Crystalized Mound while I'm in the area...

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm poking around Kingdom's Edge, but my playtime with this has dropped off a cliff recently. I do start it up every day but I can rarely stay engaged with it for more than 20 minutes at a time.