TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Knight

Administrator
    It's still very much keeping my attention at the moment although I have no idea how to reach the next (three) objectives. Well, apart from one in deepnest but everytime I go there I curse whichever developer thought it'd be a good idea to have spiders crawl across the screen...

Still, I finally managed to defeat the Crystal Guardian (on the bench) - from the journal and info online it looks like I'll need to fight him again but I don't think I have the abilities to reach wherever he is now. At least I also managed to finish off Flukemarm - a real pain of a fight but at least I finally found a use for the dung defender's charm .

Moderator and Priest
    I haven't found a single use for the Dung Charm, but at least the boss fight getting it was fun. Ha HAAAA THUNDDAAAA! Ah ha haa HAAA!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    Crystal Guardian (on the bench) - from the journal and info online it looks like I'll need to fight him again but I don't think I have the abilities to reach wherever he is now. At least I also managed to finish off Flukemarm
    I had a bit of trouble with these initially, but once I figured out good strategies both ended up being a walk in the park.

Flukemarm - He's a bit too far away to be effectively hit with the nail so I stood on the platform furthest to the right and did ranged attacks. From there it was also quite easy to hit the wasps he spawns, which in turn refills my ranged attacks. Use the charm which increases soul-gain.

Crystal Guardian second fight - his attacks are so frequent you can't really heal up, so instead I used Joni's Blessing charm (found deep in the mountains to the west of Dirtmouth. Adds 5HP but removes healing-ability) and another charm which adds life. I walked into the fight with like 15 HP or something and tanked him. I wasn't even trying to avoid getting hit, just kept wailing on him and doing ranged attacks whenever I was filled up, and it worked!

It obviously helps to expect the worst of Deepnest, because now that I'm there and exploring the place, I don't find it quite as bad as I was led to believe. It's definitely not my favourite area, but it's more of a hassle than a horror.

... unless I've just not encountered the true horror yet.

In any case, I've now got a tram pass, so when I get fed up of Deepnest or run out of places to explore, I guess I'll return to that cable car way back at the beginning to see where it'll take me. If I happen to find another Pale Ore in the process, I won't complain.

Administrator
    Henke: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the second fight when I reach it. For Flukemarm I stayed on the lower right platform, charging soul with the spore and dung charms and alternated between attacking the little flukes and blasting / hitting the boss itself. When I tried staying higher up I fell into the water too often.

Thirith: For me the sound and incidental graphical effects (as well as the general gloom) are the things that make Deepnest unpleasant. The creatures aren't particularly worse than other parts of the game but I certainly don't enjoy my time there.

Moderator and Priest
    If you all want to know the charms I mixed and matched the most while playing the game, here's the below, spoilered for the spoiler sensitive:

Quick Slash (3 charm slots) - Pretty much lets you swing your nail as fast as you can hit the attack button. It can be lethal when mixed with the...

Stalwart Shell (2 charm slots) - Extends invincibility time after taking a hit. With the above equipped, you could get 5-6 hits in before even becoming vulnerable again.

Longnail (2 charm slots) - Gives you nail a larger arc, letting you hit things from farther away. Not quite as good as the Mark of Pride you get for beating the Mantis Lords, but it also takes up one less charm slot.

Soul Catcher (2 charm slots) - Accrue more soul with each slash, letting you heal or use your powers that much more quickly. Like the Mark of Pride, you get more out of the Soul Eater, but that takes 4 slots instead of 2.

I used a bunch throughout the game, but the above listed were almost always my go-to charms for just about everything.

For some reason I'd completely forgotten that I had access to the Royal Waterways, but I've now remedied that, taking out the Flukemarm surprisingly easily. I've also faced off against the Dung Defender, but unsuccessfully so. He's my next objective, since I'm curious about the sign further on that suggests I'll only be able to continue once I've defeated him.

Edit: ... and the Dung Defender has been defeated. Fun fight, with a lot of personality, even if it wasn't all that challenging. Also, acid can now go and fuck itself.
    Last edited by Thirith; 24th Jul 2017 at 02:38.

So, you know that nasty bit in the Fog Canyon? I got about 2/3 through that one... and then died. I was hoping that my shade would be near the entrance, but no, it seems it's pretty much where I'm unlikely to get to.

I guess I should finally put those many, many Rancid Eggs to good use.

Also, I can't seem to find the map maker in Fog Canyon, even though I should now be coming from the right direction. Sigh...

Administrator
    Interesting - without an outright spoiler how do you get to that part of Fog Canyon? I figured I needed an item to get past the oil(?) barrier but your post makes me suspect I've missed a hidden entrance somewhere.

There are two ways of getting there. One requires the ability to get past the barrier (haven't got that one yet), the other one gets you there from the other side but requires a different item/ability.

Unless, of course, I'm in yet another part of Fog Canyon that doesn't even connect to wherever Conifer is.

Moderator and Priest
    I'll save you all some trouble, and tell you that there isn't much you can do in Fog Canyon until the latter half of the game. You can't even get the map until you have a way past the black barriers.

So I can't get there with the ability to
    spoiler:
    swim in acid
    ?

Damn you, internet commenters! Damn you!

Moderator and Priest
    Nope! Taking the acid route gives you another access point to Queens Garden, but you have to have that one item to be able to explore the important part of that area.

edit: actually, there might be another way. Let jump into the game right fast...

I was wrong. You can get to it through just beyond the entrance inside the Fungal Wastes, swimming through the little pool of acid opposite of where Leg Eater (the guy who sells you the breakable charms) is.

I'm glad I took the time to find that out for you. I took a wrong turn in Forgotten Crossroads, and happened across a secret that managed to pass me by.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 25th Jul 2017 at 03:33.

Administrator
    Great, thanks for those tips. It sounds like I haven't missed anything based on the abilities I have at the moment!

My wife had to get up at 4:15 this morning, so out of solidarity I got up with her. While she was getting ready to leave, I played on a bit and ended up in the boss fight with Uumuu, the giant jellyfish. I managed to kill it without dying even once, but I still don't quite believe it; when after less than five minutes it stopped fighting and started to emit gas clouds, I was certain that the second, infinitely more difficult part of the fight would begin... but no, that was really it.

Which also means that I've now
    spoiler:
    killed the first of the Dreamers. It was clear that that's what I'm supposed to do, but I still didn't particularly like striking down someone who wouldn't even defend themselves.

Afterwards I discovered the Queen's Gardens but very quickly noped out of there. No way I'm going to head into unknown enemy territory after getting up at 4:15! So instead I went back to bed and failed to go back to sleep until 7am...

Got a lot of progress done, from defeating the Collector to winning the two first Trials in the Colosseum and getting the third of three Pale Ores I still needed for another trip to the Nailsmith. The black barriers still defy me, but not for much longer, I imagine.
    Last edited by Thirith; 30th Jul 2017 at 10:48.

Administrator
    I've had a little less time to spend on this and I've not attempted the Colosseum yet. The third fight with Hornet and the watcher knights have been keeping me busy. I had to cover quite a bit of ground to get to that point and gone back to explore some areas with my new abilities. I haven't been to the Queen's Gardens yet so I'm quite a bit behind you on that front

So, I've just visited the Abyss and got the Shade Cloak. I'm now wondering: should I aim for completion and the best ending? Or is it not really worth it other than for the challenge? If I go for the latter, I'll probably take a break and play a couple of other things before returning to Hollow Knight; I've been playing this almost exclusively on PC since I got started, so I'm not altogether eager to commit to it for another couple of weeks for completion's sake.

Moderator and Priest
    If you're gonna go for the complete ending, I greatly suggest you (big spoiler) find the Bee's nest, and get the Hiveblood Charm before going anywhere near the White Palace.

Administrator
    After about 36 hours gameplay I managed to get reach the end - although not the complete one. Since I hadn't even found the Queen's gardens, found a way through black barriers and have at least one fairly major fight to finish off I imagine there's still quite a bit to do to get the rest done. (Although I suspect I'll skip the Delicate Flower challenge - that seems like too much hassle even after I figure out where I need to go!)

I'm currently doing short forays into areas where there are grubs, Dream Warriors (who so far are all surprisingly easy) and parts of the map that I've obviously missed. Is there any in-game way of telling where there are bosses that can be fought for a second time? I found the Failed Champion, but other than that I just know about the ones that I've read about.

Moderator and Priest
    If they leave a corpse behind when you kill them (with one exception), you can fight them a second time with the Dream Nail.

Moderator and Priest

Looks like this could be an interesting read for some of you:

How to Design A Great Metroidvania Map (PC Gamer)

"The creators of Hollow Knight describe how they built a complex, interconnected world, from sketches to final game."

I haven't read it yet, since I haven't played Hollow Knight yet (but I will!) and this article looks like it could be filled with spoilers. But from quickly scrolling through, it looks like a pretty thorough discussion, supported with lots of pictures of the hand-drawn maps they used while designing the world and its connectivity.

Moderator and Priest
    From a quick glance, I can tell it has a few spoilers in it, at least as far as the map layout is concerned.

Still, it looks like it'll be worth reading if you've beat the game, or don't care for being spoiled at all.