TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Knight

Yup, that's a fully awakened Dream Nail. Now what should I do with it? And why do the words super meat boy whisper at the back of my mind...?

Moderator and Priest
    A fully awakened Dream Nail, you say? HERE COMES SOME SPOILERS!

Then go to the Palace Grounds in the Ancient Basin. Make damn sure you have the Hiveblood charm before heading there, too.

Cheers, I checked it out this morning but didn't get all that far.

I'm currently one fragment away each from both a complete mask and a complete vessel. Not entirely sure where to find the remaining fragments, though I'm thinking I'll try to finish this before heading off to the final fight once I've dragged my bleeding (yet honey-scented) carcass through White Palace.

Administrator
    Completed the White Palace myself. Definitely brought back flashbacks of some of the later SMB levels although not quite on par with the "I wanna be the guy" levels in that game.

Now on trying to complete the third Colosseum fight - the challenges are fun but seem to go on just a little too long.

So... I think I did perhaps 2/3 of White Palace. There was a moment there when I thought, "Nope. Nope, nope, nope." But when I realised that there are benches along the way, I was kinda relieved that I can manage this without going absolutely barmy.

At least I hope so. I'm not through yet.

As far as the last mask and vessel fragments are concerned that I still need to get, I've, ahem, consulted the Wise Men of Fa'q and it looks like I'll have to do the Delicate Flower quest as well as defeat the second form of the Crystal Guardian, and that should take care of things.

Edit: ... and that's it for White Palace. It feels like the most difficult bits came at the beginning. In any case, glad I persisted... and got that out of the way!
    Last edited by Thirith; 8th Aug 2017 at 14:57.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    As far as the last mask and vessel fragments are concerned that I still need to get...
    The worst vessel fragment for me was the one near the tram in Deepnest - I hate having to do sword jumps, something I got extremely frustrated with in Rogue Legacy and caused me to quit playing. I did the delicate flower quest earlier today but took a hint from a forum and cleared out the path from the destination to the Grey Mourner and retraced my steps without resting at a bench. Still took me three goes,
    because I'm bad at the game, but if I hadn't fumbled I could have managed it first shot.

I was going to do the Delicate Flower quest, but after getting hurt several times and having to find my way back, I gave up.

spoiler:
    Supposedly you should be able to save at benches, Alt-F4 out of the game when you get hurt and then reload to find yourself at the bench with the flower intact... but I've tried this 4-5 times, saving at Salubra's bench, but after going Alt-F4 route when receiving damage and reloading the game, I would find that the flower had not made it. I understand that it's a bit of a cheat, but I'm obviously not good and/or patient enough to get through this, and I'm not sure it's worth it for that last vessel fragment. I'm at 90% completion as it is. Though being that close to 100%, it does niggle...

Edit: And so far I'm not having a good time with the Radiance. I think I'd have more patience for this if it wasn't preceded by the fight against the Hollow Knight - and, more importantly, having to replay this every fucking time. I greatly enjoyed most of this game, but damn, the devs did make some knuckleheaded decisions!
    Last edited by Thirith; 10th Aug 2017 at 11:50.

Administrator
    As far as I understand it for the quest: I thought the "cheat" way was to save at a bench close to the destination and then quit and reload after picking up the flower before it's damaged. That way you bypass much of the map and only have a short way to go. I did it by not resting at all and just cleared out the enemies en-route first. The enemies that respawn are mostly non-aggressive - the biggest risks are environmental damage.

And yes, the Radiance is a real pain. I'm on 99% completion myself so definitely motivated to get that one done!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I just read they're busting their ass to get this out for the Switch, in fact it's almost complete and ready to go. Guess I'll wait for that, sounds like a good one to play on a portable system.

I'm a little surprised they prioritize Switch over PS4 or Xbox1 though, sounds like they put a whole new team on the Switch conversion.

Moderator and Priest
    That's probably due to the fact that the Switch is freshly released, and still has a thin game library. They're more likely to make a bigger impact there.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Al B and Thirith, you guys are so far past me it's crazy. I haven't played much Hollow Knight recently. Last week I was hanging around the Colloseum of Fools, getting my ass kicked. Pretty sure it's optional, but I dunno where I'm actually supposed to go, and I don't feel like going back to exploring places I've already been. Just the thought of having to fight my way back to the last stag station makes me not wanna boot the game up. I might need some space from this game before I can build up the resolve to go further.

I think I'm lucky in that I had my phase of being frustrated with the game fairly early on, but once I had a couple of the mobility upgrades it really pulled me in. I also have to say, though, that I made liberal use of guides, because I don't particularly enjoy the game's brand of not giving you much of an idea of where to go. I also started noting down bits where I could see what I need to do but wasn't able to progress yet, which also helped.

@Al_B: The trick you've mentioned doesn't work, or at least not any more. Once you accept the flower, unless you sit down at a bench, a restart will take you back to the Grey Mourner. I get the impression they've plugged a couple of holes in the system that could be exploited for that particular task.
    Last edited by Thirith; 11th Aug 2017 at 06:11.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Just the thought of having to fight my way back to the last stag station makes me not wanna boot the game up.
    Based on the comment you made about "one down" you should be less than 60 seconds away from a stag station if you're in the Colosseum (Head directly left, using the left trigger skill for extra flair, drop down the lift shaft and you're above King's Station). As for where to go you should have a marker in deepnest... (You're actually far past the point I was for the same playtime if Steam is accurate). If you don't fancy that then the Royal Waterways would be the next recommended point of call.

@Thirith: Ah, I didn't try the trick myself and I can see why they patched it. Not resting at all is the way to go then IMHO (I still think using the dream nail to teleport should work - it wasn't explicitly called out as something that would break the flower!)

I finally finished this yesterday evening. There's still stuff to do (I'm at 90%), but that'll have to wait.

I would've enjoyed the final boss, if it wasn't for one thing: I think it was an utterly boneheaded decision to make you replay the penultimate fight in order to get to the Radiance. Sure, it's just a couple of minutes, but even when you can pretty much defeat the Hollow Knight in your sleep, there's little enjoyment to be got from replaying that fight one or two dozen times just to get to the real last fight.

Southquarter.com/fms
    This is an amazing and beautiful game, and I'm surprised more people aren't (or haven't been) playing it. I have completely dropped Super Mario Odyssey in favor of it. Even though it's often kicking my ass.

Moderator and Priest
    More people need to play Hollow Knight. It's just so good.

I'll pick it up in the next Steam sales, I promise.

Moderator and Priest
    You'll pick it up now if you know what's good for you.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah.

Southquarter.com/fms
    So, I wandered around for several hours, stuck, looking for some way to proceed, when I finally gave up and checked out some youtubes, and discovered - if you jump on the bouncy mushrooms and hit downwards with your nail, you can do a higher jump. As far as I can tell, this move isn't mentioned anywhere. I guess we're just supposed to figure that out, eh?

I get the feeling this game is going to have a lot of that kind of stuff.

Administrator
    That had me stuck for a while too. I didn't like the mechanic in Rogue Legacy and it's my least favourite in Hollow Knight as well.

Fortunately there aren't a lot of similar obscure mechanics in the game. The only one that stands out is a power you get later (super dash) can be cancelled by jumping. It's only important in a couple of places and isn't as intrinsic as mushroom bouncing.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I discovered this weekend that I'm just not very good at this game (specifically the bosses) - but I'm still digging it. Managed to beat the Soul Master after several dozen tries (I truly lost count), and it felt good. I love the exploration part of the game, and the way the world snakes around and interconnects. Mapping it out is half the fun. Things seemed to have opened up a fair amount now from the City of Tears. I'm getting huge Super Metroid vibes here, and that's a good thing.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Hollow Knight is my GOTY. That is all.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It's only #7 on my GOTY list, as it stands, and Mario ain't even on the list yet!