TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subnautica

Subnautica

For a buggy-as-shit pre-release WIP game, Subnautica is pretty engaging.
    Visuals are great. I don't even know if I like it's grinding but I keep doing it.
    Even the lame deus ex mechanics have enough charm to be forgivable.
    (It stretches reality a bit too much to make the game play work.)

It's like Minecraft to the extent you can take resources from anything.
    And as you craft stuff you can get into new areas that give you new resources to craft new stuff, and scanning junk lets you learn to do more.
    And to its credit it comes with some legit storytelling.
    It actually tracks my own concept I scripted for an alien-planet concept ages ago pretty closely, just set underwater ... which was a clever move.

I thought I should make a thread for it just because I wanted to pimp my base after spending long enough building the thing.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Cool base - I bought this game last year, but haven't put much time into it. Is there an actual endgame or final goal for finishing, or is just perpetual crafting and building?

I'm waiting until they give it a full release. I follow it on Steam and I keep seeing them add cool stuff, so I have to quickly look away to stop myself getting spoiled.

@Brethren, there's an end game planned, and as I understand the game is already getting into that territory with what's released now, but it's not there yet. You can already tell it knows how to set up some epic scenes, even with what's already there. Just the approach to deeper areas ramps things up, so I trust it's all going somewhere interesting.

I like spending a few minutes at a time in these kinds of eye candy open world sims just to cruise around and take in the sights though, not even following the plot so strictly, just doing a few game-play things here and there... I do it with Space Engine, The Hunter, Spin Tires, and even Skyrim. So this fits right in with that.

Edit: For some reason, seeing the plot come together over iterations is sort of interesting to watch for its own sake. You can see some of the big plot nodes already, and then the space in between is getting filled out. That's why nothing's really stopping me. It works for me, but then again it's not unusual for me to read the script of a movie before I watch it so I know what to look for.
    Last edited by demagogue; 7th Jul 2017 at 19:55.

I bought this in Oculus Home and played it for awhile in VR last year until I ran into some show-stopping bugs in that version. I plan to get back to it at some point, maybe when the final version is released, because it was tons of fun in VR (though it was the pre-Touch Controller days).

Awesome news. Subnautica leaves Early Access Jan 23rd:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...n-early-access

I've pretty much finished all of the story and have clocked over 70 hours playtime so it will be interesting to see if the final version is that much different.

Looks like the kind of game I wanted No Man's Sky to be. Glad I waited playing it until it was finished.

Don't look now, but there's a fish "swimming" around in my radar room.

Game is still cool. Actually runs decently on my Intel graphics card so I can play it on my little laptop.

Hehe. That bug actually saved my life once as I got a fish just in time after returning from a long trek back to my base in a relatively barren area.

I think I'll wait until they release the final version before I give it another whirl. Too busy with Prey at the moment.

Picked this up the other day now it's out of early access. Played a couple of hours and it's great!

In a lot of ways it's everything No Man's Sky should have been.

Have had no time to revisit it yet (last played ~2 months ago - before the depth-of-field etc update) - what has changed? Besides the rocket.

Anyone with experience with early access days:
    * have they managed to fix content streaming? (As the devs have said: the engine has no streaming support and they have not been able to work around that very well or just did not know how to). Last i heard they were making considerable progress in hiding the latency problems.
    * have they considerably changed the recipes? (after the changes from a few months ago when copper came more relevant and the foundations, the extremely ugly things one usually never uses, started to need lead).

Btw. Made some heighthmaps (including a few separate ones for: lost river / "citadel" / and the last area whose name/description is too spoilery to mention) when i last played: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/dis...htmap-spoliers

Needless to say - that is quite spoilery.

Thing What Kicks
    Picked this up on the Oculus store earlier this week, but haven't had a go yet. Anyone know if games bought through the Oculus store can be played without the headset?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I believe it can be played without a headset, and I believe you will want to play it like that.

At least when I tried it in VR last summer it was preeeeeetty crap. Very barebones VR implementation that just didn't feel good. Perhaps they've improved it since tho.

When I'd played a bit of this for my backlog reduction project I said I'd come back to it once it's done, so I guess I should give it another whirl soon-ish.

I just played about 10-15 minutes in VR, and it seemed absolutely okay to me. No Touch support - I hope they'll add that - but the sense of immersion is great. Then again, I haven't done much other than swim around, enjoy the scenery and pick up way too many acid mushrooms.

Played a few hours of this, crafted the Seaglide and decided to check out the wreck of the Aurora. Started exploring then this huge leviathan appeared right above me so I noped the hell outta there. Good times.

I know they fixed some forced long movements, e.g., up ladders, into quick teleports because of the VR complaints. Doesn't make it feel any less immersive really.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I've been wanting to dive into this for a while now.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I've been wanting to dive into this for a while now.
    Ono you din't!

I donít get it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    "for a while now"

"for a whaile now"

"for a whale now"

"whale"

"WHALE"

That's the joke.

Thank you, henke!

Without your help I might've seriously been left floundering.

Level 10,000 achieved
    no prob(peller)

You're in way over your head there.

Moderator and Priest
    I like sandbox games that give me an immediate sense of porpoise.

Goblin sharks.

Still Subjective
    I've been totally put off this by Philipa Warr on Crate and Crowbar. She's ruined that podcast and as she likes this I'm auto prejudiced against it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast