TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lone Echo

Level 10,000 achieved

Lone Echo

This is it, folks. Mark this date in your calendars, this is the day when a VR game escapes the confines of of Oculus Rift megathread and gets it's own thread!

Lone Echo is coming out in 10 days and I am hyped.

I've already spent a good amount of time with the Echo Arena Open Beta, which had another run this past weekend, but I'm looking even more forward to the singleplayer component. This being a Ready at Dawn game, I'm not expecting big things from the story. Their last game, The Order 1886, was so-so in the narrative-department. But I do look forward to throwing myself around in zero-G and doing cool space-shit. After Adr1ft, with it's sub-par and nausea-inducing VR implementation, my expectations of what a zero-G spacegame could be like were dampened significantly, but once I stepped into the Echo Arena tutorial my expectations shot right up again. I know it sounds cheesy, but it really feels like being there. You're not just pushing sticks on a controller to move your character, instead you're reaching out to grab on to walls and objects, and pushing off to send yourself drifting towards your goal. And because the mapping of your hands is always relative to your head, it causes no nausea, and it feels real.

I haven't preordered, but unless this thing gets absolutely savaged in the reviews, I'll be picking it up come July 20th.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Also here's a video of those wonderful robohands for you to ooh and aah at.

A lot of VR games only show you your hands, since getting the inverse kinematics and whatnot for arms and torso and legs to feel right is no easy task, but Lone Echo pulls it off beautifully.

About time we got a good game on that thing.

Plenty of good games out in VR. Are they system sellers? No, nor are most of them particularly long - but I've greatly enjoyed the majority of VR games I've played.

Very curious about this one. Thanks for the heads-up, henke!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yup. Lots of good games, but none I would unreservedly call great, though Superhot VR comes close.

I also think that triple-A productions for VR are still a year or two away. The market's gonna have to be a lot bigger before Ubisoft or EA start putting serious money into a VR game. At the moment it's a lot of indies and smaller studios, and the occasional higher-budget Oculus-sponsored thing, like Lone Echo. Valve says they're working on 3 VR games as well, but who knows when we'll see those.

A VR Portal game (not suggesting that it's actually in development) could be amazing in theory but probably highly vomit-inducing.

There is a free VR Portal spin-off; it's fan-developed but still pretty neat. However, while it uses Aperture Science, it doesn't actually send you through any portals.

On a different note: how well did the Arena mode play, henke? I love the idea, but I can already see myself flailing about in zero-G.
    Last edited by Thirith; 11th Jul 2017 at 01:28.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh Arena is tons of fun, in a Rocket League kinda way, tho every time I've managed to get my hands on the disc I've been too excited to do anything useful with it. So, exactly like Rocket League then.

Echo Arena will be free and standalone btw, so we definitely gotta play a 2v2 match once it's out.

Level 10,000 achieved

Stop me before I do something stupid!

Lone Echo is coming out in 11 hours or so, but there are NO REVIEWS! Guess the embargo coincides with the release. Yet I'm thinking about pre-ordering. Hear me out! It's 5 bucks cheaper if I pre-order, and what are the odds it'll be a steaming pile of poo, eh? Of course I don't wanna enourage shitty practices like delaying review embargoes until release-day by rewarding the publishers with my pre-order. But am I not also rewarding them by paying 5 bucks more tomorrow if I do wait until I've read a review? What a conundrum!

Thanks, now I'm facing the same dilemma!

Stay on target. Stay on target!

Thing What Kicks
    Yeeeah, any game that has an embargo on reviews until after release? I'm going to look at it with more than an ounce of suspicion.

Chakat sex pillow
    My 2c: if it were me in the situation I'd consider the trade-off. If it's a really terrible game, do I lose more money than I saved if I'd pre-ordered it vs. if it's a good game do I really mind not saving the $5 (is it worth the full mark-up in the end)?

I'm not gonna do a Pascal's Wager matrix here because I'm like really goddamn* lazy, but I'd say if you add it up, the potential to lose more is higher with the pre-order than without.

*Pascal wept.

Thing What Kicks
    I mean, if Oculus offer a refund policy? Mebbe.

I like Echo Arena so much, I don't think there's any way that Lone Echo will be a waste of my time. If nothing else, any improvement in my maneuvering skills will hopefully cross over to Echo Arena.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well I know I said it was coming out in 11 hours, about 22 hours ago, but it turns out it's actually coming out 10 hours from now. Apparently games are not released on the stroke of midnight in Finland, but at noon in America. Who knew!

I still haven't pre-ordered.

I'm waiting a bit - to see what you think. Nah, it's mainly that while the weather's pretty warm I feel a bit less like VR, added to which I'm currently obsessing over Hollow Knight. Once I get back to VR, I'll most likely get Lone Echo pretty soon, although I may want to finish off a couple of VR titles first that I already have.

Level 10,000 achieved
    With an hour to go till release, finally a review shows up.

https://uploadvr.com/lone-echo-revie...space-odyssey/

edit: y'know what, sounds good. Sounds like what I was expecting. I skimmed the review, not wanting to spoil too much, but it sounds like the main flaw of the game is that it's only 4 hours long and ends abruptly, but overall they liked it and gave it a 8.5. I can live with that. Bought!
    Last edited by henke; 20th Jul 2017 at 12:10.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Lone Echo came out TEN MINUTES AGO but there's still no download button! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH I CANT TAKE IT

Echo Arena is downloadable tho.

edit: 30 minutes after release and still no download option! People in the review section are saying that if you cancel your preorder and buy it again at full price you can download. Uh... I think I'll just wait.
    Last edited by henke; 20th Jul 2017 at 13:29.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Lone Echo came out TEN MINUTES AGO but there's still no download button! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH I CANT TAKE IT

Echo Arena is downloadable tho.

edit: 30 minutes after release and still no download option! People in the review section are saying that if you cancel your preorder and buy it again at full price you can download. Uh... I think I'll just wait.
    I wasn't getting the option to download in the desktop app. I put on the headset and looked at it in VR and the download button was showing!

Maybe mine changed over in the desktop app at that very instant anyway. I didn't hesitate long enough to check that, I just started the download.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Apparently processing all the pre-orders were what was taking so much time, the download button did show up after about an hour for me as well. Downloading now, will jump into this tomorrow.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm in space!

I've played for an hour, and so far I've been fixing stuff up around the ship. In other words it's exactly the kinda bluecollar spaceworker stuff I was hoping for. It's basically Adr1ft, but good.

Thing What Kicks
    Any ideas on how long it is?
    I'm guessing it's a pretty linear and narrative-driven game too; is that correct?

I've heard four hours being mentioned, but I'm sure some breeze through the game in two hours and others take six or seven. In any case, it's probably relatively short.

Henke, keep posting! I'd love to hear more about what you think.

Malf, it's definitely narrative-driven, but I wouldn't exactly call it linear. The middle of the game goes deliciously non-linear. The first third has a taste of non-linear (3 objectives that can be completed in any order, at any pace, as you explore the ship), the second third takes that nonlinearity to a whole new level and adds optional objectives (both in your log and discoverable by exploration). The last third is very linear... although you can almost always backtrack, there's little reason to do so (with one exception, a small side exploration that most people probably won't do). If you're into the narrative, there's a lot to explore and uncover and collect and lots of scanner data to read. If you're not into the world building and just want to burn through the content as quickly as possible, yes, it's relatively short.