TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Status update

Status update

In this thread post a short status update about your daily life or shortly comment on someone else's.

---------

My cat got thyroid hyperfunction. She used to be huge and dangerous and now I just saw her skin and bones using the litter box and her hind legs were trembling from the strain. I hope she gets well because it's breaking my fucking heart to see her like that.

I've been going to work for two days now after my wife passed away and it's going relatively okay so far, all things considering. Also, I've found that programming is the best way to distract myself from how miserable I feel. When I'm working on a difficult challenge (difficult is relative, I mean the same problem might be easy for someone else and impossible for a third person), I forget everything around me.

I went on a two day bender over the weekend and am definitely too old for it, I'm now a shivery, weirdly-sweaty mess with the attention span of an idiot and I can't work out why none of my code is functional.

BUT I also bought some sweet powertools and have been wood cladding my balcony, and I finally remembered to go an get some genmaicha tea, plus my girlfriend and I are going over the plans for our loft conversion tonight, so swings and roundabouts I guess. Also the new series of preacher isn't as shit as the previous one.

Coding is a requirement of your job, Vivian? I thought you were a paleontologist and I didn't know they coded. Or is it hobby-related stuff?

I do a lot of biomechanics stuff but yeah man, everything involves hefty amounts of coding these days, even more general biology. Stats modelling in R, 3D geometry stuff in MATLAB (should be python but I've never learned it properly), bit of some C variant for biomechanical simulation stuff (++ I think, been a while). I mean, you can do stuff without it, but it's generally just the best way to get good, consistent data processing done. Everyone thinks you're a prick (rightly) if you do it in excel.

Yeah that makes sense. Shows what I know about paleontology/biomechanics.

You would probably laugh at the actual code I use though. One advantage of having a modern gazillion-core hyper processor is that it really doesn't matter if your data parser is a horrific mass of nested loops that look like a clown made it, because even if it could be literally hundreds of times faster it still basically does what you want, and it still only takes a few minutes at most.

I don't know if I'd laugh, I only have a few years of experience as a programmer myself. I consider myself pretty decent (I was the best one of my class at my education, but it wasn't a university level computer science education, more like community college level (paid for by my employer)), but I'm no genius. I do try to write fast code though, but that's just to teach myself to be a good programmer, which will help in my further career. I do these mathematical programming exercises on ProjectEuler.net, and if I find a solution, but it takes more than like 5 seconds to calculate it, I consider my code a failure and try to find a faster solution. There was one I did a while ago where my solution took several minutes to compute, and I kept working on it until I found a radically different solution that took 250 milliseconds to calculate the answer. Felt pretty cool.

I do understand that a solution that takes a couple of minutes is not a problem at all in your field. If I were you, I wouldn't put a lot of effort to make it faster either, because it's the correct answer that counts, and a couple of minutes isn't that long a wait. You can spend your time better than forever optimizing your code.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    My cat got thyroid hyperfunction. She used to be huge and dangerous and now I just saw her skin and bones using the litter box and her hind legs were trembling from the strain.
    I presume you've taken her to the vet already? My cat had something very similar last year and was losing weight while eating loads of food. Quite common in older cats (ours is 16) but after an operation where they removed one of her thyroids she's been much better.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    I've been going to work for two days now after my wife passed away and it's going relatively okay so far, all things considering.
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope things get better for you.

Thanks SubJeff. I posted about it in another thread, but it was a completely unrelated political thread that not everyone might have read. I miss her like hell (she died on June 19th, a day before she would've turned 34), but I'm trying to do all the stuff I'd normally do, while still allowing myself time to grieve. Thankfully my rent isn't that high, so I don't have to move to a different house, I can afford to live here alone. We didn't have any kids, which I think is for the best now.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    I presume you've taken her to the vet already? ...
    Yeah, her current weight loss is due to thyroid suppressing medicine. She was already very weak because of lack of potassium and then stopped eating for 3 days straight. Last night I filled a syringe with cat milk and shot that down her throat. Apparently that reminded her that eating isn't all that bad and she had some light snacks. Finally.

I should mention http://felinecrf.info here, which helped me diagnose her correctly. The vet's tip had been a rare disease that she was tested negatively for.

@Harvester: If I may ask, was your wife ill for a longer time? In any case, that's a really terrible thing to happen and I hope you've got people who can give you the support you need.

She was ill for a long time, but mentally. Depression, anxiety, negative self image, hypochondria, etc. I was able to give her a lot of love, care, support, a roof above her head, food & drinks, some luxury items etc., but her problems were so fundamental I couldn't make her permanently happy. She was happy with me, and we often did fun stuff together which she liked, but ultimately she was unhappy with herself. In the end she had delusional thought, which might've been early onset psychosis. She had different anti-psychotic medications, which might not have worked as well as the stuff she previously had. In her delusions, she took her own life . I think she only half-realized what she was doing.

Her problems were so severe that maybe for her it's better this way. It's just she leaves a huge hole in my life (I miss her like crazy and happily would've taken care of her for as long as I lived) and in the lives of all the people who loved her. Which are a lot of people, she was a real sweetheart and an easy-to-love person.

Crikey mate, that's fucking savage. I am so sorry.

I'm really sorry, Harvester; that's a massively shitty hand to be dealt, both for you and for her.

Damn, Harvester. Hang in there. It gets better eventually.

Thanks Vivian, Thirith and Starker, yeah it is pretty shitty. I'm holding up relatively okay, but I feel far from good. I'm getting good support though, from my family, her family and my friends and co-workers/bosses. Financially I got most things taken care of and things are looking okay, I'm probably going to be able to get by without too much trouble. Before she died I was looking to make a career switch to a programming position (for like 32 hours a week or something, maybe eventually 40 if I can handle it) and that's something I still want to do, but for the moment I'm going to postpone that for at least a couple of months. I have to feel a little better before I feel like dealing with the stress that comes with switching jobs. And as I said, I make enough money to live from right now. Can't do anything outrageous, but my hobbies are pretty much movies/shows, games, books and programming anyway, so I'm not really a big spender.

Administrator
    Really sorry to hear that, Harvester - that sounds really tough. Sounds like taking time before jumping into a new job is very sensible.

Funny thing is, I was thinking of starting a thread a few days ago that was essentially what this was. Then someone else beats me to the punch.

*Shakes fist at Kolya*

Ok status update -

I'm smack bang in the middle of a big life change at present. I'm 36 and still live with my parents, though that is about to change. The past 5 years has been mostly aimed around saving up for a deposit for a mortgage (house prices in Australia compared to other countries is just CRAZY). Finally got together the goal amount last year and got approved, found a place that was within our range (300k which only gets you a unit/flat. 700k or more to get a house near-ish to Melbourne) in March and have been upgrading the place to be suitable and safe for me and my fiance to move into. Those upgrades should be finished in around 1-2 weeks from now and then begins the next stage of my life.

Work wise I've been unemployed since December but luckily got back into teaching at the university I studied at from 2008 - 2010. That work begins in 2 weeks. I'll be teaching mostly games development style units. Should be fun .

My little eBay/Gumtree/Facebook Marketplace business of selling retro video game related goods continues to slowly grow. It started out with 1k worth of Super Nintendo games back in 2013, where as now I'm selling about 10k-ish worth of games across Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive and the Nintendo Entertainment System (plus stuff I just want to get rid of). Next system I'll be selling for will be the Nintendo 64. The best part about the business, is that it keeps me motivated as every week brings different tasks to do like cleaning and testing games, sniping auctions on ebay to get the best prices, visiting charity stores in search of super cheap stuff, updating my listings etc etc. So that's going quite well. It doesn't earn heaps of cash or anything, but enough to assist me with bills here and there. Some of that money for the deposit came straight from this + numerous paid jobs I've done over the years.

And I'm getting married in early November.

Fun times to be in.
    Last edited by icemann; 11th Jul 2017 at 12:33.

verbose douchebag
    Damn harvester, so sorry to hear that.

My condolences Harvester

I feel like I shouldn't be bitching about life, but here goes.

Two weeks without a fast and stable (took me 4 minutes to get here) internet connection, so now I'm replaying Thief 2 and clearing out my backlog of FMs because I have nothing else to do. Also, I almost got into a position of a promo artist for a mod, pretty big one, not telling details, but I'm still awaiting response from a project lead and I'm pretty anxious about this. A voting for a contest I signed up for has been opened for 2 weeks - I'm probably not going to win.

Thanks for hearing out my rant and sorry for any grammar errors.

My colleague's contract is officially being discontinued at the end of the year and I'm glad it is. She was one of two female apprentices when I started at this job. I taught both, because no one else seemed to care. One graduated as the best of the state and left the company, the other one barely passed and was hired.
    Ever since she has required constant hand holding. There's a number of reasons for her eventual failure but the main points are that A) She is too old to learn and remember complex stuff. B) Being a coder to her is a male thing that she basically rejects. So she tried to become a designer, but her lack of basic computer skills (file organisation, consistency) got in the way.

Harvester hang in there, and thanks so much for your vote for my neighbors' roof. That was a really nice gesture, with all you have been dealing with.

Kolya, hope your cat feels better soon!

Nayru-chan00, I feel your pain. Last friday evening I lost power due to a storm, no internet for me and no TV for my mom (aka the little monster) for over 6 hours. Then just tonight Win 10 demanded some priority updates, took 12 minutes! TWELVE!! MINUTES!!! Also my fi-optics provider upped my my bill from $90 a month to over $200 a month. Now I have to call them to get my deal back, I have to do this once every year and it takes about 5 minutes that I will never get back! First world problems are the worse! Also, I am dangerously low on pickled herring.