TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Whoessa: Time Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I assume by "his points" you mean icemann's. Let's look at those points.

1. "It's a retcon" - We already know that the show has had multiple retcons for various reasons. And why not.
    2. "I'm all for women's lib and all that, but the Doctor is male. Always has, always should be." - An appeal to the status quo while forgetting that previous changes and retcons are also part of the status quo, in other words this is cherry picking.
    3. "Have it be a completely new Timelord with her own unique back story." - That's a preference, not an argument.

I understand that none of you thinks of themselves as misogynists, but the truth is that sometimes the preferences you've come to hold dear from childhood to now are based on misogyny of others in the past, eg why heroes of films and tv shows historically have been white males. You truly seem to believe that this was an "artistic choice" ignoring proven historical chauvinism, meanwhile hiring a woman rings to you as a "political" agenda.
    There's a willful naivete in that which isn't innocent at all.
    I don't think it was an artistic choice, and I don't think it was political correctness either. Like I said before, I think it was a business decision, intended to draw more female viewers, especially younger ones. Because if they want this show to go on for another generation, they have to develop new fans and not just coast on the traditional fan base.

The show is over 50 years old and one of the things that has remained constant through its run is that the Doctor is played by a British male actor (Englishman or Scot), so I think it's entirely reasonable to argue about whether the gender and nationality of the actor are important to the role or not. If someone prefers a male actor to play a character that has always been, for 50+ years, male, that does not make them a misogynist. Look up the definition.

I personally don't give a damn who plays the Doctor, because I've never really watched the show. I liked the theme music, but beyond that it didn't grab my interest. However, I'm defending icemann here because he doesn't deserve a nasty bag of insults just for wanting a favorite show to stay the same.

It's a show that's been running since the 1960s. If its tone was set in stone it would still look like it did back then, eg it would be black/white. Since it obviously does not, you seem to be taking special exception to this particular change. Isn't that so?
    Everyone expects television technology and equipment to change over time. The identity of the show's central character is naturally more important to long time fans.

And, really, saying "if you've got a problem with this then you're a misogynist virgin pissbaby" does nothing except turn you into ammunition for the people you're railing against. Don't engage in stereotypes or you'll become one.

Chakat sex pillow
    I don't think there was this big a furore over Star Trek putting a female captain in as a lead for the show. It's another thing that Voyager was pretty bland and mulchy from what I saw of it, but given that Dr. Who fans have 5+ decades of stuff to revisit if they don't like the show's new stylings (and let's be fair, Who's spinoffs like Torchwood proved that these things can be extremely progressive), what do you stand to lose? At best this might serve as a shot in the arm and you get a fun series if the casting and writing are good (ahahahahaha *snort* ...ahem), and at worst you can write it off as an experiment that didn't work. It's not the end of the world.

...Aaaaannnd, the show still failed to defang the Social Justice crusaders with this move: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFAisKzV0AArMZS.jpg:large

No matter how much you try to appease the Left, they always want more, more, more.

You do talk a load of shite, Krush. All the time.

He does read the twitter feed of "Feminist Frequency" though, which I wouldn't dream of doing.

Unless you were only googling for ammunition, Krush, but you wouldn't fall so low, now would you?

Even lower than that.

Spoken like an honest man. Seriously though, how does that twitter feed speak for "the Left" who "always want more, more, more"?
    Can I use any right wing nut's verbal vomit now and assume that it speaks for "the Republicans", including you? Do you think that's fair?

It's not one person, it's the overall pattern of how these people are shaping the culture. Black Heimdall, female Sherlock Holmes, female Doctor Who, Iron Man now a black girl in the comics. Thor now a woman, Hermione switched to black in the Harry Potter stage play, Sulu now gay...I'm actually amazed Kirk and Spock are still white and straight. Not to mention the female Jedi who instantly grasps all the Force powers and can defeat dark Jedi easily, using abilities it took Luke years - and three movies - to master.

It's not just fictional characters - they've retconned Alexander Hamilton as gay and black in a play, plus replaced Andrew Jackson with a black woman on the $20 bill, and started removing all Confederate war monuments.

It's a calculated program of cultural and racial erasure and re-writing.

Also I'm not a Republican but an alt-righter.

fucking leftwing electricity, whats wrong with just setting a lump of pitch on fire

where I come from an alt-righter is someone can only turn right every other go. Sounds a bit long to be honest.

Maybe I'll just take three lefts and still get there in the end.

On the one hand I'd like to see that, but on the other it would probably look like Vae when he does his living strawman thing.
    Anyway, I didn't know you watched plays. What have you last seen?

Fiddler on the Roof. I don't go to the theater on a regular basis, but I can still read the articles about how "Hamilton" is so "brave."

Moderator and Priest
    You're all a bunch of douches. Every single one of you. Douches.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 18th Jul 2017 at 16:31.

I object to this characterization. I may be smelly, but not wet. Usually.

Moderator and Priest
    People who deny their douchiness are the biggest douches of all.

Also, I'm not saying people are literally douches, Krush. It's like, you know, a saying. You being smelly and occasionally sometimes wet is something else entirely that may or may not contribute to your overall douchiness.

It's a lifestyle choice, don't judge.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    It's a lifestyle choice, don't judge.
    We're all douches here, Krush.

...and douches judge.

Moderator and Priest

I agree with the Bill Murray bit.

No matter how much you try to appease the Left, they always want more, more, more.
    That's not true!...We'll be able to claim victory when Dr. Who regenerates into her final form as a Kenyan lesbian!...

...and she better be flying around in a rainbow TARDIS!...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    The important question is, what colour is her hair.
    My first thought was: does the TARDIS even have anywhere to plug in a hairdryer?

Level 10,000 achieved
    It's not just fictional characters - they've retconned Alexander Hamilton as gay and black in a play
    I assume you're talking about the Hamilton musical. The relationship between Hamilton and John Laurens is something biographers have speculated about for a long time, but the musical never comes straight out and says anything about it explicitly, one way or another.

Icemann is not some awful troglodyte, just having trouble accepting change.

It's a calculated program of cultural and racial erasure and re-writing.
    You're mistaking loss of dominance for oppression.