TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Whoessa: Time Lady

Doctor Whoessa: Time Lady

A time lady :O http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Jodie Whittaker is going to be playing the 13th incarnation of The Doctor. I'm pretty excited, honestly, because she was great in Broadchurch and I look forward to seeing what she brings.

I'm still sad to see Capaldi go, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how she interprets the Doctor~
    Last edited by Renzatic; 28th Jul 2017 at 04:27.

Moderator and Priest
    Oh man, I bet some people are gonna get so mad over this...

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    You better believe it. So many salty neckbeards.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm pretty alright with it myself. Capaldi was great (though I think he should've been allowed to curse more), but Doctor Who as a whole needs a good shake up. Other than the occasional good episode, I've been getting pretty bored with it.

Spot on, Chris.

I'm really looking forward to her Doctor and hope she has a good run. I worry the casting choice might tank the ratings though. If it had been my decision, I'd have probably picked a young, white male since that's the formula that seems to have worked since the show was revived. I think I'd have saved a female Doctor(or some other new take on the Doctor) until the ratings were on the upswing.

I don't know much about Jodie Whittaker, but my first impression of her as the Doctor is very positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuth View Post
    I'm really looking forward to her Doctor and hope she has a good run. I worry the casting choice might tank the ratings though. If it had been my decision, I'd have probably picked a young, white male since that's the formula that seems to have worked since the show was revived. I think I'd have saved a female Doctor(or some other new take on the Doctor) until the ratings were on the upswing.

I don't know much about Jodie Whittaker, but my first impression of her as the Doctor is very positive.
    I watched Broadchurch and can say she definitely has acting chops. I see what you mean, though it is possible that this might be what the show needs to mix things up, despite the unfortunate (but expected) controversy. Sidney Newman, the man who originally created Doctor Who, actually suggested to the BBC in the 80s when the ratings were starting to slump to make the Doctor a woman, so the idea has been around for decades. People say the man knew television so, let's hope his suggestion rings true.

The important question is, what colour is her hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Personally, I'm against corrupting the IP for the sake of political correctness, even if the producers are using this as a short-term profit strategy. Generally speaking, when producers decide to corrupt an IP, the legacy value of that franchise takes a nose dive, due to the undermining of the integrity of that universe.

So unfortunately, there's a good chance we'll be saying farewell to Dr. Who in the near future...

How are they corrupting it? It's been shown in-fiction as far back as at least the fourth doctor that Time Lords can alter their gender when regenerating.

Do you have any supporting evidence for that?...As far as I am aware, a gender transformation during regeneration has only been introduced in recent years, which corresponds to the social climate of political correctness.

Only my own hazy memories. It was the fourth doctor's time lady companion if I recall.

I guess I have been mistaken for many years as a quick google finds no corroborating evidence.

Okay, thanks for checking...

Thief2X

That's a great fan campaign...What about it?

Male lead was replaced with a female lead.
    It wasn't the first FM to have a female player character though, and wasn't really a big issue.
    I mean she wasn't named Garrett and there wasn't any suggestion she was the female version of him, so it's a different case.

The example I'm thinking about is Starbuck in the new BSG.
    She worked because it was a cool character, but at least the way I saw it, it was like she didn't actually replace the old Starbuck character, but more like he was just taken out and she was just a completely new character that happened to be cool. I didn't really link them together as the same character. They were just two independent characters, both of whom were cool in their own right.

It's not likely that kind of thinking can work here with Dr. Who of course, since the new BSG sold itself as a total remake from scratch ... or maybe it's even easier for it work here since it's future science magic; it can do anything. Or maybe she'll fit right in the sequence without a hiccup. I guess we'll see.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...Time-Lady.html

Here's the article talking about how Sidney Newman, the man who created Doctor Who, suggested in the 80s that the Doctor become a woman. The idea has been around for decades.

I'm kinda against it, purely as the Doctor was always a male. That said, this past season I had been getting a gut feeling that things were going to go this way. Especially with having the Master as female, conversations about timelords going either way (gender wise). So it's not a complete surprise, but I'm a bit meh towards it.

I know this was inevitable from a gender equality standpoint, but they could have left the Doctor as male and re-introduced his granddaughter (who featured in the first few seasons of the show) and had her alongside him. Would have been all good. I agree with Vae that this is another bit of political correctness at work.

Next it'll be James Bond as a woman.

Jesus Christ, the old arguments of "What's next, is X gonna be a woman?!"

Look, they can do this for The Doctor because of the nature of regeneration. The whole point is that the Doctor becomes a different person every time, and like I said the idea of the Doctor becoming a woman has been around since at least the 80s. Han Solo won't be made a woman because it's a permanent character in the same canon for the upcoming film, and James Bond is less likely because the whole point of James bond is that it's a male power fantasy. If they wanted to do that they'd likely make it a spin off of some sort.

Giving more female positive representation in media does not automatically mean it's being "politically correct". The Doctor could be a 7 foot tall Mexican woman as far as I'm concerned as long as the show itself is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccura View Post
    Here's the article talking about how Sidney Newman, the man who created Doctor Who, suggested in the 80s that the Doctor become a woman. The idea has been around for decades.
    Having an idea is irrelevant to it being established into cannon...Devs/creators always have ideas that never make it into the established universe. What's important is that the fundamental design not become distorted or corrupted due to non-artistic factors.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Next it'll be James Bond as a woman.
    ...and then it'll be Gandalf gone Trans, with Bilbo and Sam as lesbian adventure buddies!

I'd have the same problem with Lara Croft becoming Larry Croft.

If you want to bring in more women, blacks, or gays, create a new IP instead of corrupting the classic universes.

Plus they already had alternate ways to go that were already in the shows history/cannon, like his granddaughter and all that. I don't see why they didn't just bring her back under a new regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    Alright, if it's been a part of the fiction from the start then I'm fine with it. Are they going to explain why the character happened to regenerate into a male 11 times in a row, though?
    Perhaps, I don't know, we won't know until the 11 season next year. Also there was in incarnation in between 8 and 9 known as the War Doctor, but isn't counted among the numbering because reasons. Either way Capaldi is the 13th incarnation technically... even though he's known as 12 because... look Doctor Who is confusing and weird the whole show is full of inconsistencies and things that don't make sense, even before the revival series.

The War Doctor was counted wasn't he? He's in one of the episodes. He was the one straight after the movie Doctor.

And David Tennant got 2 goes of it (as in 2 regeneration's) since he used that spare hand etc etc.

End of the day if their going to go the female Doctor route, then have it be a different Timelord. The Doctor is male. That's THE Doctor. I know he/it is a different person with each regeneration, but there is always a "core" element that is present across all generations.

So women can't be doctors? I think half of humanity missed that memo.

This is a tempest in a phonebox. Doctor Who (not Mr. Who) is a transdimensional being who reincarnates in different forms. What part of TRANS are you not getting?

And PC? Really? Anyone using that trite label as an argument should be required to sacrifice a gonad each time.